Anybody else like most of their work?

StuartBruce

Just wondering if there is anyone else on this forum who actually likes most of what Rush have produced?

All I am saing is that 90%+ of what the boys have done ranks pretty high in my mind and the rest isn't "bad". I dare say some individuals will pick out tracks that maybe wouldn't have made a vinyl cut, but thats not our decision.

For me, they have been the most consistent and the most accessible musically for almost 40 years.

Maybe I just like Rush.

Anyone else?

ph34r.gif

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StuartBruce @ Jun 21 2011, 12:41 AM)
Just wondering if there is anyone else on this forum who actually likes most of what Rush have produced?

All I am saying is that 90%+ of what the boys have done ranks pretty high in my mind and the rest isn't "bad". I dare say some individuals will pick out tracks that maybe wouldn't have made a vinyl cut, but thats not our decision.

For me, they have been the most consistent and the most accessible musically for almost 40 years.

Maybe I just like Rush.

Anyone else?

ph34r.gif

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/LOLZ/brofist.jpg

Right there with ya.

Do you know what, I must be the only one here who absolutely loves everything Rush has done, from the debut album of 1974 to Snakes & Arrows, including Caravan and BU2B. I don't have a bad word to say about any of their songs, and I don't understand what the problem is with the 'production' on Vapor Trails, mainly because I can't hear what's wrong. Maybe I'm too easy to please, maybe I'm an idiot, I don't know, but I can't help it. I admit that I'm proud of their songs.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Once I did a thread on which songs would you skip when listening to Rush.

By my calculations, I enjoy and would play 74% of all their songs or 117 out of 158 songs.

74% is most, right? unsure.gif

Edited by rushgoober

There are maybe four or five songs that don't exactly thrill me, but I never skip any songs when I play the CDs. I am just a freaking wub.gif fanboy wub.gif and I don't really care what anyone thinks about it.

I do like most of their works, not 90% but most. (I mean 51% is most, right?) laugh.gif

I would say around 80% for me. This is not to say I HATE the other 20%, but I just don't enjoy it nearly as much and usually skip it if it comes up while listening.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jun 21 2011, 04:09 AM)
Do you know what, I must be the only one here who absolutely loves everything Rush has done, from the debut album of 1974 to Snakes & Arrows, including Caravan and BU2B. I don't have a bad word to say about any of their songs, and I don't understand what the problem is with the 'production' on Vapor Trails, mainly because I can't hear what's wrong. Maybe I'm too easy to please, maybe I'm an idiot, I don't know, but I can't help it. I admit that I'm proud of their songs.

Not the only one wink.gif

Nope. I actually hate all of their songs. I just don't hate them as much as every other band. wink.gif

Not really, but personally I can think of a track from every album, which I don't think should have made the cut. But that's just my opinion. I just don't talk about it here, because some forum members seem to take it personally.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jun 21 2011, 12:30 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Jun 21 2011, 04:09 AM)

Not the only one wink.gif

Thanks, GBR..! smile.gif

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Jun 21 2011, 07:38 AM)
Nope. I actually hate all of their songs. I just don't hate them as much as every other band. wink.gif

Not really, but personally I can think of a track from every album, which I don't think should have made the cut. But that's just my opinion. I just don't talk about it here, because some forum members seem to take it personally.

I won't get mad tongue.gif

And you're welcome babycat!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 21 2011, 08:18 PM)

By my calculations, I enjoy and would play 74% of all their songs or 117 out of 158 songs.

74% is most, right?  unsure.gif

Those are some very revealing and insightful statistics goobs. You should retest your calculations to ascertain if your desirability of their work has remained stable. In addition, multiple tests should be taken and the following considerations should be factored in: time and day of week, daily caloric intake, average hours of sleep, and menstrual cycle. Please post all relevant data upon completion.

trink38.gif

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Jun 21 2011, 08:38 AM)
I can think of a track from every album, which I don't think should have made the cut.

I would love to see that list...

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 21 2011, 09:57 PM)
I can think of a track from every album, which I don't think should have made the cut.

imho: Rivendell, Speed of Love, YBYL...after that I have to think.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 21 2011, 07:58 AM)

I'll have a go at this...

In the mood

Rivendell

Fountain

Tears

Madrigal

Holy sheep hemispheres is hard, but I'll say title track ph34r.gif

Different strings

Holy sheep MP is hard but vital signs

Countdown

Red lenses

Manhattan project

Tai Shan

Superconductor

YBYL

The Speed of Love

Dog Years

The Stars Look Down

Faithless.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jun 21 2011, 09:02 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 21 2011, 07:58 AM)

I'll have a go at this...

In the mood

Rivendell

Fountain

Tears

Madrigal

Holy sheep hemispheres is hard, but I'll say title track ph34r.gif

Different strings

Holy sheep MP is hard but vital signs

Countdown

Red lenses

Manhattan project

Tai Shan

Superconductor

YBYL

The Speed of Love

Dog Years

The Stars Look Down

Faithless.

This deserves a separate thread trink39.gif

I do indeed like most of what they've done.

And, I like most of what they've done recently. I thought Snakes and Arrows was great. I thought Vapor Trails was great.

What I don't particularly care for is the very early stuff. I know that's akin to blasphemy, but there it is.

laugh.gif

On one hand, being new here, there seems to be a lot of negativity towards the newer stuff. And some negativity towards posters flowing in both directions. I guess that's normal.

But on the other hand, for me personally, I don't care what other people like or don't like. Music is a completely subjective experience. It doesn't bother me if someone doesn't like Vapor Trails or Presto.

I guess what I'm saying is that everyone has their preferences and that's cool. It's only when people believe their perceptions are facts, and start deriding each other over it, that it gets unpleasant.

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Jun 21 2011, 09:11 AM)
And some negativity towards posters flowing in both directions. I guess that's normal.

Music is a completely subjective experience. It doesn't bother me if someone doesn't like Vapor Trails or Presto.

I guess what I'm saying is that everyone has their preferences and that's cool. It's only when people believe their perceptions are facts, and start deriding each other over it, that it gets unpleasant.

Exactly! Not everybody likes ALL the same things on the planet. It's what makes the world go 'round for Christ sakes!

I'm with the OP on this - there may be some tracks that I don't love to death (mainly the early ballad / slow songs like Tears, Madrigal, Rivendell) but otherwise, I enjoy 95% of their work. I can't really say that for any other band.

cheers,

ew

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 21 2011, 07:18 AM)

74% is most, right? unsure.gif

Love that analysis! trink39.gif yes.gif

I would guess that mine would be a little higher, maybe close to 80%.

But I'd have to analyze all the albums to be sure.

Appreciate the idea......

One of the main reason for ranking Rush as my all time favorite band , is because of their strong cataloge. I do like most of what they have put out on record. I don`t consider any of their studio records bad. Just for fun , I once burnt a cd I called "The worst of Rush". And all in all , even that cd sounded pretty good! smile.gif That`s how much I like Rush!

I have not included Caravan and BU2B in my analysis, but I did include Feedback. Here is my breakdown:

Rush = 4/8

Fly By Night = 6/8

Caress Of Steel = 4/5

2112 = 5/6

AFTK = 5/6

Hemispheres = 4/4

Permanent Waves = 6/6

Moving Pix = 7/7

Signals = 8/8

Grace Under Pressure = 8/8

Power Windows = 7/8

HYF = 8/10