Rush and Mellotrons

The Owl

I would make a poll out of this if I had a full list of Rush songs that did... but for all the lovers of what is probably the only instrument to be associated with the genera of Progressive rock exclusively... what Rush track do you fell does this wonderful instrument the best justice?

Ill garner my opinions and report back..

I thought of both of those. Definitely.

There is no mellontron on Madrigal. Album credits list mini moog and bass pedal synthesizer for Geddy. I'm not sure there is one on Tears either. The credits for 2112 just say "keyboards" for Hugh Syme on that one. The only song I know for certain that contains a mellotron is Faithless.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jun 19 2011, 09:04 PM)
There is no mellontron on Madrigal.  Album credits list mini moog and bass pedal synthesizer for Geddy.  I'm not sure there is one on Tears either.  The credits for 2112 just say "keyboards" for Hugh Syme on that one.  The only song I know for certain that contains a mellotron is Faithless.

there is a mellotron on tears. no matter what it says, just one listen will tell you.

and yeah, supposedly there's mellotron on a couple of S&A tracks, but I'll be damned if i can hear it anywhere in there. no.gif

Here's all you need to know on Rush and mellotron:

http://www.planetmellotron.com/revr5.htm#rush

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 19 2011, 11:19 PM)
There is no mellontron on Madrigal.  Album credits list mini moog and bass pedal synthesizer for Geddy.  I'm not sure there is one on Tears either.  The credits for 2112 just say "keyboards" for Hugh Syme on that one.  The only song I know for certain that contains a mellotron is Faithless.

there is a mellotron on tears. no matter what it says, just one listen will tell you.

and yeah, supposedly there's mellotron on a couple of S&A tracks, but I'll be damned if i can hear it anywhere in there. no.gif

Thanks for the link. "Keyboards" is a somewhat open term.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 19 2011, 09:19 PM)

You can't argue with the Goober.

I agree. "Tears" for me.

I did a three-part mellotron radio show featuring songs that included mellotron. the only rush song i played is tears, as that's the only song where they have any appreciable mellotron. the mellotron on S&A is the slimmest of window dressing.

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Jun 19 2011, 10:26 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jun 19 2011, 11:22 PM)
I was surprised to see 2112 was played on a mellotron.

Huh?

QUOTE (Planet Mellotron)
However, it isn't the album's centrepiece that concerns us here, but a rather inconsequential ballad on side 2, Tears.

Yep. Making of Snakes & Arrows vid.