Super 8

briremo

Surprised I did not see a review on this one yet inhere so thought I'd post one.

I liked the movie a lot but it never truly sucked me in. I did not read any reviews before seeing it but did glance at a couple afterwards and agree with the basic synopsis...Goonies meets ET meets Signs.

The movie is quite predictable as a matter of fact there are zero surprises, but early on your are treated to some very funny moments, some incredible acting by the young female lead and a pretty engaging story between the lead characters.

After a while though the gags get a tiny bit repetitive and the 'monster' story line actually gets in the way of the real story you want to see develop even more.

I give it 3.5 Starmen

Go see it...

Honestly. I thought it was all hype. No suspense. A couple of loud cinematic jumps but I didn't like it.. but I would reccomend someone to see it just to get other view points! smile.gif

Saw it tonight. I thought it was very good! Highly recommend it. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (briremo @ Jun 15 2011, 05:54 PM)
Surprised I did not see a review on this one yet inhere so thought I'd post one.

I liked the movie a lot but it never truly sucked me in. I did not read any reviews before seeing it but did glance at a couple afterwards and agree with the basic synopsis...Goonies meets ET meets Signs.

The movie is quite predictable as a matter of fact there are zero surprises, but early on your are treated to some very funny moments, some incredible acting by the young female lead and a pretty engaging story between the lead characters.

After a while though the gags get a tiny bit repetitive and the 'monster' story line actually gets in the way of the real story you want to see develop even more.

I give it 3.5 Starmen

Go see it...

I saw this movie today and I loved it!!!

Talk about an old school homage to Spielberg and John Carpenter!

SPOILER ALERT!! DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THIS MOVIE YET!

This movie took me back to the Eighties even though this movie took place in the Seventies! Great soundtrack! Blondie, ELO, and The Knack! Wow, that music was right in my wheelhouse when I was a kid of the Seventies.

Anyway J.J. Abrams is a genius. I never got into "Lost" but my wife loved it.

Did you know that when Abrams was 15 years old Steven Spielberg hired him to restore all of his Super 8 movies? Amazing.

The influences are obvious you guys.

This movie reminded me of the following:

"The Thing"

"E.T."

"The Goonies"

"Stand By Me"

"Poltergeist"

"Close Encounters Of The Third Kind"

Just keep your eyes on the walls in the kids bedrooms.

Nice "Halloween" poster! "Dawn Of The Dead" poster. Lots of "Star Wars stuff too.

Also if you catch the end during the credits watch the "Super 8" film.

Love the "Romero Chemical" plug.

This movie is "SUPER GREAT!" laugh.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Jun 27 2011, 07:25 PM)
Pretty good until the 'tunnel' scene and everything after.

6/10

The tunnel scene in my mind was excellent because it pays homage to John Carpenter's "The Thing."

Awesome!

Most aliens should tunnel under the earth and build a lab so they can try and build a spaceship to leave this fuckked up planet.

The more I think about this film, the more I love it.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 3 2011, 01:49 AM)
QUOTE (briremo @ Jun 15 2011, 05:54 PM)

I give it 3.5 Starmen

Go see it...

SPOILER ALERT!! DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THIS MOVIE YET!

This movie took me back to the Eighties even though this movie took place in the Seventies! Great soundtrack! Blondie, ELO, and The Knack! Wow, that music was right in my wheelhouse when I was a kid of the Seventies.

Anyway J.J. Abrams is a genius. I never got into "Lost" but my wife loved it.

Did you know that when Abrams was 15 years old Steven Spielberg hired him to restore all of his Super 8 movies? Amazing.

"The Thing"

"E.T."

"The Goonies"

"Stand By Me"

"Poltergeist"

Nice "Halloween" poster! "Dawn Of The Dead" poster. Lots of "Star Wars stuff too.

This movie is "SUPER GREAT!" laugh.gif

trink39.gif

I saw it yesterday and really liked it too. I thought it was a great movie, good story, really well cast, funny at times, a little scary, not too much action or too little, short and to the point. I'll definitely watch it again.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!

I too was taken back to the really early 80's (not 70's) throughout the whole thing.

I heard J.J. on Stern a few weeks ago. What a great interview and that stuff he mentioned about restoring Spielberg's movies was amazing!!

Super 8 reminded of all the films mentioned above as well. It was dripping with Spielberg's late 70's, early 80's movies. There were parts of Super 8 that looked like they were cut right from Close Encounters!!

It truly was J.J. paying homage to his hero, Spielberg

And the kids rooms were great too, loved all the nostalgia on the walls.

SHIT!!!! I didn't stay 'til after the credits (I almost always do!!!) wish I had now. Forgot Earl mentioned to stay!!! DAMNIT!!! :edit: It's on Youtube, I saw part of it...looks great.

Yes, I know John Carpenter did The Thing (one of my all time faves!!!)

Edited by Invisible To Telescopic Eye

I saw this film, and was very disappointed. I prefer films with a real story, rather than ones that are a bunch of special effects and assaultive sound design dangling from a wire clotheshanger of a plot in which nearly all actions are unmotivated and most loose ends are left flapping in the wind. The stuff you saw during the end credits was more entertaining and had more of a cohesive story than the entire film! Nice period detail, though, I'll give it that. 5/10

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 3 2011, 01:49 AM)

SPOILER ALERT!!  DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THIS MOVIE YET!

This movie took me back to the Eighties even though this movie took place in the Seventies!  Great soundtrack!  Blondie, ELO, and The Knack!  Wow, that music was right in my wheelhouse when I was a kid of the Seventies.

Anyway  J.J. Abrams is a genius.  I never got into "Lost" but my wife loved it.

Did you know that when Abrams was 15 years old Steven Spielberg hired him to restore all of his Super 8 movies?  Amazing.

"The Thing"
"E.T."
"The Goonies"
"Stand By Me"
"Poltergeist"

Nice "Halloween" poster!  "Dawn Of The Dead" poster.  Lots of "Star Wars stuff too.

This movie is  "SUPER GREAT!"  laugh.gif

trink39.gif

Good review there Earl. I saw this yesterday and really liked it also. Took me back to the 70's/80's. One of those summertime movies you go see just to see something, and then you find out that it was better than you thought it would be.

I'll give it 7 out of 10 smokes! wacko.gif

cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif

What would have made the movie even more awesome is if the 70s/80s Paramount logo were at the beginning to fit with the timeframe of the film. Kind of how they used the early 70s logo for Zodiac.

Kind of strange to see the Amblin logo at the beginning compared to the usual ending credits of a Spielberg production.

Well, let me get this out of the way first..

Super 8 is 2 hours of Steven Spielberg ripping off Steven Spielberg, combined with J.J Abrams hard-on for monsters that you don't get to see (COUGH**LOST **COUGH**CLOVERFIELD** COUGH)

There were scenes that reminded me of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Scenes that reeked of Jurassic Park, many scenes that evoked E.T (Including the Ending scene), and even one scene that bled Indiana Jones...

That being said the film was good IMO, not great, but good; a solid 7 out of 10.

Character development was decent, at least by today's standards, but that's not saying much. And the plot, while cliched, did flow very nicely.

It's a good film, and I'd recommend seeing it while still in theaters.