Holy Crap! Xanadu-1990

HigherWater

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Jun 14 2011, 06:15 PM) Surfing Rush tubes in search of some great Peart moments after all the hating that's been going on. This is just amazing. So powerful and fluid. I think this might be Neil at his peak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMjWK6Tz78M&feature=related

I was there! My first RUSH concert.

I remember they transitioned from xanadu into Superconductor. wtf.gif

I'm glad the video ended before the transition. Xanaconductor...one of the few dark moments in Rush concert history...

If it's from 1990 I think it would have been the less offensive Xanadu/ YYZ combination...

Am I the only one that think its cool that they did Xanadu -> Superconductor? I enjoy it, when I listen to it on bootlegs!

Maybe if you just listen to a recording, it's not so bad (since you can always go and listen to some full version of the song), but if you see the band live and they suddenly stop in the middle of one of their greatest songs and cut to one of their worst songs, that should be quite the nightmare for any fan.

• Like 2

Am I the only one that think its cool that they did Xanadu -> Superconductor? I enjoy it, when I listen to it on bootlegs!

Maybe if you just listen to a recording, it's not so bad (since you can always go and listen to some full version of the song), but if you see the band live and they suddenly stop in the middle of one of their greatest songs and cut to one of their worst songs, that should be quite the nightmare for any fan.

Who has to be there? It's nightmarish just thinking about it let alone listening to it. :scared:

I dont think its one of their worst songs, I like it. It makes me happy!

• Like 1

Based on a number of factors, I've always considered the Presto tour to be Rush's mid-life crisis tour.

Aww, I don't think so. I may be somewhat biased, because my very first Rush show was during that tour...but the playing was really outstanding. With the benefit of hindsight, I think Neil in particular was just on fire back then.

And Xanadu into YYZ was not offensive in the least. ;)

• Like 1

Based on a number of factors, I've always considered the Presto tour to be Rush's mid-life crisis tour.

It was the worst show I had ever seen from them up to that point and since. They had a really off night. It was the only off night I had ever seen in the dozens of shows I had the pleasure of seeing over the last 30 years.

And Xanadu into Superconductor was a f***ing abortion. I was like....WTF are they doing? I was so happy to be seeing Xanadu live....and then they pulled the rug out from me. It was on the Roll The Bones tour BTW that they did this.

Another odd transition was when they went out of the solo section of Freewill into Distant Early Warning......I was also like....WTF are they doing. No "each of us a cell of awareness...imperfect and incomplete". One of the great Rush moments and it was gone that tour (Presto Tour)......f***ed up shit. Xanadu into YYZ was not horrific....but still...come on guys....don't do that. LOL.

So yeah Presto Tour was some what of a mid life crisis indeed LMFAO!!!!

Edited by Todem

Aww, I don't think so. I may be somewhat biased, because my very first Rush show was during that tour...but the playing was really outstanding. With the benefit of hindsight, I think Neil in particular was just on fire back then.

And Xanadu into YYZ was not offensive in the least. ;)

Very few of the the boots I've seen/heard and the shows I went to showed much of that fire to me. They weren't bad shows. Rush doesn't do bad shows, but I found the standard not to be what it normally is. I don't think it's a coincidence that Neil when looking to improve himself shortly after that tour.

You had to wait eight songs in to even get to a Presto song (and it was Superconductor) and there were five new songs in the set which I think (percentage-wise) was the lowest amount of new material in a set to that point.

I know they've said they've said they were inspired during that tour (not being trapped behind their equipment made them happy I'm sure) but if check the bootlegs I don't think there were many live challenges for them in that set to keep them generally interested but your mileage may vary.

I dont think its one of their worst songs, I like it. It makes me happy!

Well, that's because you're, well, Zumbi... I'm pretty sure you're the only one who wouldn't be offended by this.

Another odd transition was when they went out of the solo section of Freewill into Distant Early Warning......I was also like....WTF are they doing. No "each of us a cell of awareness...imperfect and incomplete". One of the great Rush moments and it was gone that tour (Presto Tour)......f***ed up shit. Xanadu into YYZ was not horrific....but still...come on guys....don't do that. LOL.

I always thought the reason they did it that way was to save Geddy's voice. I'm not sure he was taking proper care of himself vocally at that point.

I know they've said differently, but I'm not sure they wanted to be on that tour. What was it...three months and they added June later? Likely the shortest time on the road they had done to that point except for R40 (and maybe 1994 when Geddy wanted to be home for the birth of his daughter)

Everybody gives Superconductor a hard time. I'd almost feel bad for it if it weren't an inanimate object. Edited by Disk98

Was it the Presto tour (or maybe Roll the Bones) when they transitioned from Neil's solo into Red Lenses, right at the drum part? I always thought that was cool as hell.

Power Windows tour I think.

Was it the Presto tour (or maybe Roll the Bones) when they transitioned from Neil's solo into Red Lenses, right at the drum part? I always thought that was cool as hell.

Power Windows tour I think.

Could be, but I was thinking it was later. Either way...still cool.