The Official Mike Portnoy Thread

Tick

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Aug 15 2011, 08:16 PM)
As much as I am a Peart Homer and not a big fan of the midget Captain Bluebeard, I will say that Mike's double bass work would blow Neil's away!

MP's double bass is adequate, but his endurance is horrible. Listen to a song like Learning To Live and how he weaves such interesting drum parts around such crazy rhythms. That's where his strength is, he can take an odd time part and come up with so many interesting variations on it so it always feels like it's growing and evolving. Peart never really does this unfortunately.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Aug 15 2011, 06:07 PM)
I hate turning music into a competition, and I love both Neil and Mike, but Neil Peart is VASTLY overrated.  Portnoy is overrated too to an extent, but Portnoy has maneuvered through time signature mazes with finesse and creative drum parts throughout his career.  Neil has some solid parts, but I feel like he has played it too safe with a ton of his parts.  His most creative time period was Power Windows-Hold Your Fire, where he got crazy with the electronics.

I bet Neil could play any MP drum part, and I'm sure MP can play any of Neil's parts.  But the creation is what's important, and MP has created many more interesting parts than Neil.

This comes from a drummer who grew up loving both of these guys and playing through probably every song in their respective catalogs at one point or another.

As much as I am a Peart Homer and not a big fan of the midget Captain Bluebeard, I will say that Mike's double bass work would blow Neil's away!

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

But there ain't nobody like Simon!

QUOTE (The K Man @ Aug 15 2011, 05:57 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 15 2011, 02:47 PM)
QUOTE (The K Man @ Aug 15 2011, 01:51 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Aug 14 2011, 03:32 PM)

Portnoy is a kick ass drummer, and every bit as good as Neil Peart.

Er, no. Not even close. Portnoy is damn good, but has too many flaws as a drummer.

Portnoy can play any Rush tune. Ask Neil to play A Nightmare To Remember, not a chance.

Portnoy can't even play A Nightmare to Remember, as his pitiful attempt at doing blast beats even in the studio showed. LOL

And besides, who cares? I am sure Yngwie Malmsteen can play all of David Gilmour's stuff, while Gilmour would struggle to play a lot of Malmsteen's, but that doesn't matter. Unless all you care about is technical skill.

Well since technical skill is a Huge part of Prog Rock/ Prog Metal then yeah, I think it's a big part. wink.gif I don't think it's the be all, end all. I have said many times that when I first started listening to Neil in 1980, he made me want to play better. I just feel Portnoy did take it a little further.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 16 2011, 08:57 AM)

Er, no. Not even close. Portnoy is damn good, but has too many flaws as a drummer.

Portnoy can play any Rush tune. Ask Neil to play A Nightmare To Remember, not a chance.

Portnoy can't even play A Nightmare to Remember, as his pitiful attempt at doing blast beats even in the studio showed. LOL

And besides, who cares? I am sure Yngwie Malmsteen can play all of David Gilmour's stuff, while Gilmour would struggle to play a lot of Malmsteen's, but that doesn't matter. Unless all you care about is technical skill.

Well since technical skill is a Huge part of Prog Rock/ Prog Metal then yeah, I think it's a big part. wink.gif I don't think it's the be all, end all. I have said many times that when I first started listening to Neil in 1980, he made me want to play better. I just feel Portnoy did take it a little further.

I just think Neil is the quintessential prog rock drummer. While Mike is the quintessential prog metal drummer.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 16 2011, 09:57 AM)

And Gavin Harrison took it even further! yes.gif

Being a fanboy of GH, I think MP would struggle playing some GH stuff. But the opposite is not so much the case. But GH is more a student of technique and not flash, so MP has him beat on the stage show. This kind of goes along with the Malmsteen vs Gilmore suggestion.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 16 2011, 01:30 PM)

Being a fanboy of GH, I think MP would struggle playing some GH stuff. But the opposite is not so much the case. But GH is more a student of technique and not flash, so MP has him beat on the stage show. This kind of goes along with the Malmsteen vs Gilmore suggestion.

yeah and there is a ton of younger drummers that are playing stuff now that i don't think peart, mp or gh could play.

i would like to see those guys play some behold the arctopus.

Stage Show? When did Portnoy start breathing fire? laugh.gif They are two different animals that happen to be friends that laugh at this stuff. I think Gavin is more schooled and thinks his parts out in advance while Portnoy is more the " Roll Tape" and see what we get kind of guy. I admire both ways.

Portnoy rules.

Edited by tick

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 16 2011, 03:09 PM)

Stage Show? When did Portnoy start breathing fire? laugh.gif They are two different animals that happen to be friends that laugh at this stuff. I think Gavin is more schooled and thinks his parts out in advance while Portnoy is more the " Roll Tape" and see what we get kind of guy. I admire both ways.

Sure! MP has a stage Show...his presence and antics. He doesn't just sit behind the kit and focus only on the drums. He interacts with the crowd too.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 16 2011, 03:00 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 16 2011, 03:09 PM)

Sure! MP has a stage Show...his presence and antics. He doesn't just sit behind the kit and focus only on the drums. He interacts with the crowd too.

The thing I did not like about Portnoy live was the spitting! Why does he do that? ohmy.gif

Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick does it too. I find it disgusting?

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Aug 16 2011, 07:55 PM)
Whoever's better, MP still looks like a Hobbit next to NEP...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs049.ash2/35794_416591833655_785858655_4394182_4656339_n.jpg

Kidding, of course. tongue.gif

Nice pic. Apparently Neil does not mind having is picture taken anymore, as long as your famous.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 18 2011, 06:07 PM)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs049.ash2/35794_416591833655_785858655_4394182_4656339_n.jpg

Nice pic. Apparently Neil does not mind having is picture taken anymore, as long as your famous.

How did MP manage one so? rimshot.gif

I'm here all week.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 18 2011, 01:07 PM)

goodpost.gif rofl3.gif common001.gif trink39.gif z7shysterical.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif bekloppt.gif yes.gif 653.gif trink38.gif rofl3.gif

Yeah, yeah, and if Portnoy was just another drummer out there, he wouldn't give him the time of day or even look in his direction. Guaranteed!

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 18 2011, 11:07 AM)

How did the "street musician" finally get to sit next to his nemesis I mean idol? Did he have to pay "The Big Money?"

The midget has more gray hair than Neil. No wonder he dyes it blue sometimes.

Damn, Neil needs to get some sun!

th1245.gif

"Sun dogs fire on the horizon" wink.gif

What? Neil and Mike bashing in the same thread? Seriously.... huh.gif

You guys dont seem to like either Rush nor DT?

Look at what Mp have done for/with DT. There are loads upon loads of memorable drum fills/rolls and all you seem to care about are grey hair, pale legs (ok they are really pale tongue.gif ), etc. Mobbing! Thats what this is!

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Aug 15 2011, 08:26 PM)

MP's double bass is adequate, but his endurance is horrible. Listen to a song like Learning To Live and how he weaves such interesting drum parts around such crazy rhythms. That's where his strength is, he can take an odd time part and come up with so many interesting variations on it so it always feels like it's growing and evolving. Peart never really does this unfortunately.

Is it me or is the word "homer" coming up a lot more than ever before this year?

unsure.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 19 2011, 03:09 PM)

Is it me or is the word "homer" coming up a lot more than ever before this year?

unsure.gif

Do you really think Neal Peart is a better drummer then Mike Portnoy?

He absolutely is not. no.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 19 2011, 06:30 PM)

unsure.gif

What's that got to do with what I said about homers?

unsure.gif huh.gif

Get with it Tick, it's me here!! Cant you see me?? bekloppt.gif

I'm a guitar player who fiddles around on Roland V-Drums in my music room, so I don't know who's technically "better."

But Neil has always seemed more of a musician, while Mike is more of a drummer.

If I could jam with one or the other, it would definitely be Neil. Not just for nostalgia, I'd be more interested to see what he would come up with.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 19 2011, 08:15 PM)

unsure.gif

What's that got to do with what I said about homers?

unsure.gif huh.gif

Get with it Tick, it's me here!! Cant you see me?? bekloppt.gif

I'm confused? huh.gif