terrible vocals on ohio show!!!!

reani14

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 12 2011, 09:17 AM)
Geddy Lee has never been a great vocalist. In the early days he was love him or hate him. Then he changed his style which is the reason he still has a voice today. He is certainly unique, and I like his vocals so I'm not knocking him. His vocals are not what made me a Rush fanatic. It was the whole package. He is good enough still, and overall, Rush is awesome so in so many ways!
If you don't like the band Reani, move on to others things. Its very easy to do, and perhaps you will be happier? smile.gif

One thing I always felt about him when he was young was that he was a strong singer when he was belting it, being able to hit those highs in full voice with such power, AND a vibrato on top of it, few singers could do that, but even when he was young when he sung low he just wasn't as skilled of a singer. The vibrato doesnt work as well, it was harder for him to hold smooth sustained notes.

When he sung high he was exceptional, when low he was very average. Some singers can sing low but still have incredible control over their voice, he never had that. It was a sign of things to come because once he couldnt sing high anymore, all he was left with was a pretty average singing voice that just fell apart big time I guess in the late 80s or early 90s.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 12 2011, 03:25 PM)

One thing I always felt about him when he was young was that he was a strong singer when he was belting it, being able to hit those highs in full voice with such power, AND a vibrato on top of it, few singers could do that, but even when he was young when he sung low he just wasn't as skilled of a singer. The vibrato doesnt work as well, it was harder for him to hold smooth sustained notes.

When he sung high he was exceptional, when low he was very average. Some singers can sing low but still have incredible control over their voice, he never had that. It was a sign of things to come because once he couldnt sing high anymore, all he was left with was a pretty average singing voice that just fell apart big time I guess in the late 80s or early 90s.

If you don't like the band trenken, move on to others things. Its very easy to do, and perhaps you will be happier? smile.gif

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jun 12 2011, 08:21 AM)
rofl3.gif  rofl3.gif  rofl3.gif  rofl3.gif  rofl3.gif

you hear a lot of mistakes from neil and alex, huh?  wow!  glad to see that the music/performance critic has entered the discussion.

Go be an insufferably smug fanboy somewhere else.

seeing as how they are humans, they make mistakes in live performance.  name a band that doesn't!?!?

Well, given that Rush is pretty famous for not making mistakes...

those guys put on a CLINIC every time they step on stage.  not sure why this is hard to grasp for you.

to think that vocals will sound like a studio track every night is stupid.

Nobody's asking for that. What they are asking for is for Geddy to sing lower so he can stop singing stuff like, "BLAAAYZATZONGATZOEEELUZIVE!"

if you ask the boys if they think they are better musicians now then they were in the 80's for example, what do you think they'd say? " now "  of course.  because they are better.

They actually peaked sometime in the '90s. Neil himself even said that he's approaching the point where he'd be too old for this.

people who want mistake-free music should stay at home, lube up and listen to studio albums.

what

Glad the boys are still doing their thing, hope they will continue for the rest of the decade.

But bad is bad. Not saying I heard anything terribad yet...

Please, Geddy, stop the yodeling. Sounds like you're hitting puberty again with all the voice cracks and sudden flips to falsetto in the middle of a word. Sounds like an intentional choice to me, not a sign of age.

A little here and there is fine, esp as it was on the studio versions of songs off of S&A and the 2 CA songs, but every other line of every other song...?

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Jun 12 2011, 09:40 AM)
Glad the boys are still doing their thing, hope they will continue for the rest of the decade.

But bad is bad. Not saying I heard anything terribad yet...

Please, Geddy, stop the yodeling. Sounds like you're hitting puberty again with all the voice cracks and sudden flips to falsetto in the middle of a word. Sounds like an intentional choice to me, not a sign of age.

A little here and there is fine, esp as it was on the studio versions of songs off of S&A and the 2 CA songs, but every other line of every other song...?

That yodel thing he does is on purpose. He's been doing it for a long time now going back to the 90s. Not sure why he does it, I guess he likes it, who knows. Worst example of it I think is Bravest Face. It sucks too because I really like that short pre-chorus after it.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 12 2011, 10:28 AM)

If you don't like the band trenken, move on to others things. Its very easy to do, and perhaps you will be happier? smile.gif

No. He actually made some a lot of sense. I liked his post.

What's the matter, Tony, did ticky rub you the wrong way and now you are sworn to vengence! 1287.gif

z7shysterical.gif

Call me fanboi or whatever, but Geddy rocked the "Q", still sounded good enough to me, go ahead get all hard ass and critical great show regardless.

Put in your application to anthem management for voice coach to Geddy see if i care!!! laugh.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 12 2011, 10:08 AM)
QUOTE (psionic11 @ Jun 12 2011, 09:40 AM)

But bad is bad.  Not saying I heard anything terribad yet...

Please, Geddy, stop the yodeling.  Sounds like you're hitting puberty again with all the voice cracks and sudden flips to falsetto in the middle of a word.  Sounds like an intentional choice to me, not a sign of age.

That yodel thing he does is on purpose. He's been doing it for a long time now going back to the 90s. Not sure why he does it, I guess he likes it, who knows. Worst example of it I think is Bravest Face. It sucks too because I really like that short pre-chorus after it.

I like the way he does it in Bravest Face. The whole song has some other, not- quite-bluesy feel, an almost snide commentary on yet another pop culture idiom. The song just repeats a bit too much, and my own version of that has edited out a section or two to make it more compact.

But Freewill shouldn't be yodeled.

Still, I'm going to throw the baby out with the dirty bathwater...

Look you RUSH chumps, heavy metal bands don't want super-clean perfect vocals, you want a bit of live rasp and roll, and any bum notes well they're just free jazz for the masses, no??

1022.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 12 2011, 06:50 PM)

What's the matter, Tony, did ticky rub you the wrong way and now you are sworn to vengence! 1287.gif

z7shysterical.gif

Hardly son.

I was just applying the bizarre fanboi logic you used with the OP to trenken's post.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 12 2011, 04:44 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Jun 12 2011, 06:50 PM)

z7shysterical.gif

Hardly son.

I was just applying the bizarre fanboi logic you used with the OP to trenken's post.

I just posted earlier I dont care if he sings bad live. I thought this band would be over with long ago.

I listen to some bands who barely even sing at times. I posted this clip from a new Mars Volta song earlier. Listen to this shit, its not even really singing, but I still LOVE it. The raw energy of it.

If Geddy is trying hard, even when struggling I dont care. It's hard to listen to live recordings of it like some of the new DVDs but I can still feel the energy when Im there in person. Thats all I care about now. 20 years ago if he sounded like shit I would have been disappointed, not anymore though.

If you attend any gig by any artist/band and you expect a performance as per studio album then your going to be disappointed. Was at a Marillion (Birmingham U.K.) gig, at the pinnacle of their success in the late 80's and they sounded so good i thought those guys just had to be using backing tapes. Read any music mag over the years that has reviewed Rush and most all give Geddy's "crazy sounding" voice a panning. Your watching a live performance.. anything can go slightly awry.. sound, lights or muso's/singists dropping notes or missing cues. As for the DVD, i think you'll find that it'll be a cut 'n' shut montage of the best pieces from selected gigs or the tour as a whole.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jun 10 2011, 03:37 PM)
I don't hear any problems with Geddy's singing as far as pitch goes...he's aging so of course he needs to take it easy with the high notes. The problem I hear which has been standing out like crazy this tour, is the way he pronounces consonants. Kinda sounds like his dentures fell out. Also that "yodel" sound at the beginning of pretty much every syllabal now...

thats due to his heart murmur

Well I remember on the CNN show American morning the song "Time Stand Still" was pretty upsetting to witness.....hey it happens with age but holy hell in a handbasket batman did that vocal sound just terrible.

QUOTE (jnoble @ Jun 17 2011, 05:13 AM)
Geddy's been losing range as early as the GUP tour.

I'm not too familiar with that one (although I recall a contemporary interview in which he admitted as much), but on A Show of Hands, he can't quite hit the high part at the end of "Marathon", which he'd recorded only two years earlier.

Makes me wonder what his range over the years would look like plotted out on a graph.

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Jun 17 2011, 04:36 PM)
QUOTE (jnoble @ Jun 17 2011, 05:13 AM)
Geddy's been losing range as early as the GUP tour.

I'm not too familiar with that one (although I recall a contemporary interview in which he admitted as much), but on A Show of Hands, he can't quite hit the high part at the end of "Marathon", which he'd recorded only two years earlier.

Makes me wonder what his range over the years would look like plotted out on a graph.

it was obvious on ASOH that Geddy couldn't "screech" anymore even if he wanted to. I've never been crazy about his vocals on that one but to be fair to him, he and Alex were both sick for most of that tour with the flu or something.

That all being said, I thought Geddy's singing on Presto was great and my favorite studio vocals on any of the post MP albums. Rupert Hine did a good job coaching him to sing better as the story goes.

Edited by jnoble