Six Flags

Lost In Xanadu

Anyone like going there? My son really wants to go, and he talked me into getting the season pass. It'll pay for itself in 2 visits....

Six Flags Great America - here we come.

I figured even if we don't go there everytime to do the rides, they have a waterpark we can hang out at a couple times a month smile.gif It's only about a 45 minute drive for us.

We have season's passes for Great America as well. After going to Disney the place looks like a pit though. sad.gif

We're only 30 minutes away from GA. Perhaps we could meet up with you some time. trink39.gif

I haven't been in forever - Six Flags Atlanta is a ZOO, and the ride wait times are unreal. If you aren't taking kids (we have none) then the only reason for going is the rides.

One of the last times I was there was in college for one of the October Fright Night things they used to do. We nearly got kicked out because one of our group decided to finish off his joint while we were up in the skybucket; he pitched the roach over the side and of course it was caught on camera. After several minutes of interrogation we were allowed to stay. smile.gif

Six Flags is great for the rides. Their coasters are awesome, and for that alone I'll keep returning when I can. But their prices are sick, and their customer service sucks. If you've gone with season passes, it would be a good idea to pack your lunch in a cooler and leave in your trunk. I would also recommend bringing your own water bottle to refill around the park. Buying water there is a huge expense.

One thing I've noticed in their effort to reduce costs is to run less trains on their coasters and have less staff on hand. This drastically increased wait times on rides. If that is still their policy, prepare yourself.

I was at SFGA once when I was at a training conference for work about a decade or so ago. The American Eagle is awesome. So is Iron Wolf. Viper is a wooden coaster that I thought was excellent - fun as hell to ride. I'd love to get back there for Raging Bull. Looks intense. Vertical Velocity will kick your ass. Didn't look like a big deal when I rode one just like it - and it scrambled my brains. laugh.gif

And yeah, those of us who have been to Disney are spoiled. Disney's commitment to customer service and the overall experience sets them so far apart from places like Six Flags that the two can barely be mentioned in the same conversation.

Edited by Pags

Yeah, I can't wait... LOL

I remember going to DisneyWorld in May 2006 and then to Six Flags in June or July and thinking how bad the service was.

Then this year, we went on a Disney cruise and then to DisneyWorld and I thought "wow, what happened to the customer service?"

The more I thought about it - I realized it's likely the same, but the fact the service on the cruise is 100x better than you get in DisneyWorld it just seemed like it was less. Like I said, can't wait for Six Flags sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 10 2011, 09:58 AM)
Yeah, I can't wait... LOL

I remember going to DisneyWorld in May 2006 and then to Six Flags in June or July and thinking how bad the service was.

Then this year, we went on a Disney cruise and then to DisneyWorld and I thought "wow, what happened to the customer service?"

The more I thought about it - I realized it's likely the same, but the fact the service on the cruise is 100x better than you get in DisneyWorld it just seemed like it was less. Like I said, can't wait for Six Flags sarcasm.gif

And Six Flags is just filthy compared to Disney. eh.gif

Ah... it's all in what you make of it. If you prepare a bit before you go, then you won't be as affected by the crappy service in the park. I just hope the lines for the rides aren't too long. btw - I'm assuming you're a coaster fan. It would hardly seem worth the price of admission for anyone NOT a coaster fan. biggrin.gif

I love the rides at Six Flags Great Adventure, but the way the place is run sucks ass! Awful. It makes for a bad experience, and the people who fill that park may be even worse.

Dorney park is a bit farther for me and the rides are not as good, but the staff is awesome and the clientele in the park is waaaay better as well.

Cedar point is the business model for how a great amusement park is run. yes.gif

Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 12 2011, 09:56 AM)
I love the rides at Six Flags Great Adventure, but the way the place is run sucks ass! Awful. It makes for a bad experience, and the people who fill that park may be even worse.
Dorney park is a bit farther for me and the rides are not as good, but the staff is awesome and the clientele in the park is waaaay better as well.

Cedar point is the business model for how a great amusement park is run. yes.gif

I still need to get to Cedar Point. Never been, yet. Hopefully one day.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 10 2011, 10:57 PM)
I haven't been in forever - Six Flags Atlanta is a ZOO, and the ride wait times are unreal.  If you aren't taking kids (we have none) then the only reason for going is the rides. 

One of the last times I was there was in college for one of the October Fright Night things they used to do.  We nearly got kicked out because one of our group decided to finish off his joint while we were up in the skybucket; he pitched the roach over the side and of course it was caught on camera.  After several minutes of interrogation we were allowed to stay.  smile.gif

Lazy, little, cocky toker. Why didn't he just go hide in a restroom stall and do what he needed to do like a nice little paranoid stoner? cool10.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 13 2011, 02:59 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 13 2011, 07:20 AM)
Lazy, little, cocky toker

ohmy.gif

Cocky toker

Qu'est-ce que c'est

fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa far better

toke toke toke

toke toke away....

Holy crap - we were there on Sat, I was quite impressed, a real turnaround since last time I was there in 2006. People were very friendly, helpful, and I even was asked twice what I was looking for when I had out the map.

Not only that, but there was NO garbage on the paths. I seriously was kicking empty cups and stuff when we were there last time while walking around....

Still not Disney, but I had a great time and will be happy to go back a few times this year - hey IL, lemme know when you wanna try and meet up smile.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 14 2011, 08:38 AM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 14 2011, 03:59 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 13 2011, 07:20 AM)
Lazy, little, cocky toker

ohmy.gif

Actually, I never really thought of you as "little" tongue.gif

Good call.

I'm far from it. yes.gif

I've only been to the Six Flags parks in Texas, but my dream is to go to Cedar Point and ride the big coasters there. And this is happening since my sister and her husband live there and she has been. As far as Six Flags go, I can only speak for the parks in Texas and I'm pretty certain they actually closed the one in Houston (Astroworld) because it was so trashy (they moved it to New Orleans and then JazzLand closed because of the hurricane and it never opened again). But, go for the coasters and ignore the rest.

I was on this coaster when it broke.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/Sfot_gotham_city.jpg

wub.gif wub.gif My love affair with roller coasters is inexplicable.

Went to Great America with my daughter's school chorus and band a few weeks ago. Of all the Six Flags, it's the nicest one I've been to.

Workingcinderellaman,

We are headed to SoCal in August and definitely gonna hit Magic Mountain. What the hell is that coaster in your pic?

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 27 2011, 01:30 PM)
Holy crap - we were there on Sat, I was quite impressed, a real turnaround since last time I was there in 2006. People were very friendly, helpful, and I even was asked twice what I was looking for when I had out the map.

Not only that, but there was NO garbage on the paths. I seriously was kicking empty cups and stuff when we were there last time while walking around....

Still not Disney, but I had a great time and will be happy to go back a few times this year - hey IL, lemme know when you wanna try and meet up smile.gif

Will do. trink39.gif

Gonna go this week. The one here has a water park which will be great as it will be in the 90's. The biggest problem is lack of shade. The park is on the newer side and the trees have not had time to produce shade. They are installing canopies with sprinklers which helps quite a bit when standing in long heated lines. The water rides are great for this too.

We are planing on going next weekend to do the waterpark thing only. Maybe we'll get there a little early and do superman smile.gif

We have a season pass so we are going to try and go twice a month... at least

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 28 2011, 01:03 AM)
Went to Great America with my daughter's school chorus and band a few weeks ago. Of all the Six Flags, it's the nicest one I've been to.

Workingcinderellaman,

We are headed to SoCal in August and definitely gonna hit Magic Mountain. What the hell is that coaster in your pic?

In case WCM doesn't respond... That coaster is called, "X". I envy anyone who's been on it. It's a dream of mine to get to that park, and get on X as well.

I wish I could go to a Six Flags. sad.gif

All we have here in Dayton is King's Island..... in Cincinnati. Great park though, I have season passes. I'd love to go up to Cedar Point.

Oh, and I love rollercoasters. yes.gif 1022.gif

Just got back from a visit on Wed. What a time. I am pretty much a wuss when it comes to roller coasters, but my son and his friend talked me into doing Superman. I really liked it, so I did everything after that and had a great time.

I felt bad for my son's friend - he was too big to get into a couple of the coasters, but didn't have too much of a problem with Superman.