I just got Counterparts

MarkyWarky

Most people around here dont know me very well but in alot of my posts about new Rush/old Rush I always say I got into the last 20 years of Rush ('89-now) about 5 years ago and I am slowly learning to like it.

Well, about 3 weeks ago I took 2 weeks off work and took some road trips here and there and played Presto, RTL, Counterparts, T4E, and Vapor Trails and ALL OF THEM sounded better to me than they ever had before. I didnt skip a single track. I dont know if I finally "got it" yet, but my love for newer Rush just jumped up another notch. Even the much maligned RTL and VT sounded great to me (although VT has some serious production issues). The best of the bunch seemed to be Counterparts.

I still havent truly warmed up to "Snakes & Arrows" yet but as soon as I find it (I lost it somewhere in the abyss known as my cd room) I will give it a try in my car as well and will probably like it much more.

Edited by Bastille Dave

QUOTE (Pags @ Jun 9 2011, 08:52 AM)
QUOTE (MarkyWarky @ Jun 9 2011, 11:39 AM)
I mean just got it. I've had it since the day it was released, but never liked it much (along with TFE and VT). Today I was driving to a meeting, clear road, sun shining, when it came on shuffle on my iPod. Often in the past I've hit skip, but this time I let it play, with the volume way up, and my god it's a stunner!

It's often taken me several plays to get into a new Rush album, but never 18 years before!!!!

I actually had that "F*$k me, this is brilliant, over excited can't stop smiling" moment I can't wait for with new Rush material. Other drivers must have thought I'd gone insane.

I've no idea why this happens, but now I just need to get there with TFE and VT. Maybe there IS hope yet?!

Mark

This is awesome! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I get slapped by Goober for saying this, but I still firmly believe this is a clear case of "it's the listener, not the music". The music didn't change, your perception did. And now that it has, enjoy the shit out of it. So much killer material on that album.

trink39.gif

I agree that the music doesn't change, and that the perception of the music is completely controlled by the listener. I only disagree that it's somehow not the music's fault if you don't like something.

You could scratch your nails on a chalkboard and blame me if I don't like the sound, and you'd be entitled to, but I'd still think the sound is awful and painful. Just because one or two masochistic people loved it and begged for an encore wouldn't make me think the nails on chalkboard sound is some great artistic achievement that I'm not evolved enough to appreciate. You can't say in ultimate truth that Dark Side of the Moon is "better" than The Best of Yoko Ono (if such a thing exists), because some people might greatly prefer Ono's yodeling, but that doesn't mean it's my fault if I can't appreciate her screaming.

I will give you that no album is objectively good or bad, great or awful, that each person's subjective experience and opinion of it is all that matters (at least to that person), but I do also put some credence in consensus opinion, even though again that shouldn't and doesn't really mean anything if your subjective opinion differs from the consensus.

I've had many albums grow on me, as well as some lose their shiny luster once that new car smell was gone, but for the most part if I don't like it and see no potential in it after many listens spaced apart over time, I never will. If I love an album over many listens spaced apart over time, chances are I will love it for a very long time.

I loved CP from the beginning, even though I still was missing the keyboards (that was before I gave up hope they were ever coming back). It's a great, intense, stripped down album with some really powerful and meaningful lyrics in places - a fine return to form for Rush with a fairly unique sound for them. The first four songs especially are all killers. Glad you're finally digging this! trink39.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 12 2011, 11:19 AM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Jun 9 2011, 08:52 AM)
QUOTE (MarkyWarky @ Jun 9 2011, 11:39 AM)
I mean just got it. I've had it since the day it was released, but never liked it much (along with TFE and VT). Today I was driving to a meeting, clear road, sun shining, when it came on shuffle on my iPod. Often in the past I've hit skip, but this time I let it play, with the volume way up, and my god it's a stunner!

It's often taken me several plays to get into a new Rush album, but never 18 years before!!!!

I actually had that "F*$k me, this is brilliant, over excited can't stop smiling" moment I can't wait for with new Rush material. Other drivers must have thought I'd gone insane.

I've no idea why this happens, but now I just need to get there with TFE and VT. Maybe there IS hope yet?!

Mark

This is awesome! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I get slapped by Goober for saying this, but I still firmly believe this is a clear case of "it's the listener, not the music". The music didn't change, your perception did. And now that it has, enjoy the shit out of it. So much killer material on that album.

trink39.gif

I agree that the music doesn't change, and that the perception of the music is completely controlled by the listener. I only disagree that it's somehow not the music's fault if you don't like something.

You could scratch your nails on a chalkboard and blame me if I don't like the sound, and you'd be entitled to, but I'd still think the sound is awful and painful. Just because one or two masochistic people loved it and begged for an encore wouldn't make me think the nails on chalkboard sound is some great artistic achievement that I'm not evolved enough to appreciate. You can't say in ultimate truth that Dark Side of the Moon is "better" than The Best of Yoko Ono (if such a thing exists), because some people might greatly prefer Ono's yodeling, but that doesn't mean it's my fault if I can't appreciate her screaming.

I will give you that no album is objectively good or bad, great or awful, that each person's subjective experience and opinion of it is all that matters (at least to that person), but I do also put some credence in consensus opinion, even though again that shouldn't and doesn't really mean anything if your subjective opinion differs from the consensus.

I've had many albums grow on me, as well as some lose their shiny luster once that new car smell was gone, but for the most part if I don't like it and see no potential in it after many listens spaced apart over time, I never will. If I love an album over many listens spaced apart over time, chances are I will love it for a very long time.

I loved CP from the beginning, even though I still was missing the keyboards (that was before I gave up hope they were ever coming back). It's a great, intense, stripped down album with some really powerful and meaningful lyrics in places - a fine return to form for Rush with a fairly unique sound for them. The first four songs especially are all killers. Glad you're finally digging this! trink39.gif

Edited - I re-read my remarks and they came across harsh when that was the last thing I was trying to be. But I'm in the middle of making gravy (sauce), and can't rewrite the damned thing now.

We'll just agree that the music doesn't change, the listener does - and someone who likes something that another doesn't, in no way means they enjoy bring pain onto themselves. smile.gif

Edited by Pags

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 12 2011, 03:49 PM)
You just bought the counterparts forum? huh.gif

How much did that cost you??? ohmy.gif

ph34r.gif

Free with a box of tissue

Counterparts wipes it's Ass with S&A yes.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jun 13 2011, 03:50 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Jun 12 2011, 03:58 PM)
...too many thrive on trying to attack or belittle the person, not the opinion...

oh, that's absolutely priceless coming from you... biggrin.gif

Except for when I have to turn my attention to those who belittle, condescend, and try to make themselves feel superior to everyone else.

Oh hi Ghostworks. I was just talking about you.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 13 2011, 11:12 AM)
Counterparts is a great album.

I currently have it at #5 on my Rush albums list.

If it didn't have "Everyday Glory" it might be ranked #4. laugh.gif

Everyday Glory is definitely the weakest spot on the album, but overall the album is pretty darn consistent.

I'm off my little RUSH hiatus, and this and PeW are the first two I've listened to. I really like CP, great lyrics and the synth is used for sounds rather than as an instrument, which was new for Rush. I would like to give my thoughts on each of the songs, but right now I'm a bit clogged.

And to be honest, CP and T4E are very similar to me.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 13 2011, 10:01 PM)
Everyday Glory is definitely the weakest spot on the album, but overall the album is pretty darn consistent.

Interesting. Before I got it, Everyday Glory was probably the only track I'd choose to listen to from CP, other than Leave That Thing Alone which I've always loved.

Now, I'm undecided.

QUOTE (Pags @ Jun 13 2011, 04:47 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jun 13 2011, 03:50 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Jun 12 2011, 03:58 PM)
...too many thrive on trying to attack or belittle the person, not the opinion...

oh, that's absolutely priceless coming from you... biggrin.gif

Except for when I have to turn my attention to those who belittle, condescend, and try to make themselves feel superior to everyone else.

^ mirror, meet reflection

damn if you're not the very definition of a quark star, brother trink39.gif