compare/contrast

hughes&kettner

compare these 2 videos on both: 1. rush's performance of the song, and 2. how their sound/vibe as a band is different from the '96 to the '02 version.

try to ignore the difference in video- one shows mostly ged (i know a few gals around here who will dig that biggrin.gif ), and focus more on the sound. (picky eh?)

regardless, this is one bada$$ tune... innit????? 1022.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 7 2011, 11:05 PM)
Driven is amazing yes.gif but is not as genius as Half the World. wub.gif

I like Driven

And I LOVE "Half THe World" right after it and wish they'd play it live!

And "Test For Echo" is a highly criticized and vastly underrated effort. yes.gif

I have it 10th out of 18.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 7 2011, 08:05 PM)

Disagree. I think they're both genius biggrin.gif and am hoping both come back for the CA tour next year.

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jun 8 2011, 01:33 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 7 2011, 08:05 PM)

Disagree. I think they're both genius biggrin.gif and am hoping both come back for the CA tour next year.

I downloaded a TFE boot mainly to hear Half the World. smile.gif Great song...

I think Geddy's voice sounds better in '96, but the guitars are a bit muted at times. The opposite is true in '02 - the guitars are meatier, but Geddy's voice gets a little lost (voice- and mix-wise). The bass solo is so different from the studio version that it takes some getting used to, but I prefer the later one.

I love how in '96 Geddy says they have about 40 or 90 songs to play. That number is way up now laugh.gif

I was at the Atlanta show that is in the second video as well as Charlotte NC during the same tour. The bass solo is so cool. I am learning it!

To me, the real comparison is between the Different Strings and Rio versions. I like the Rio version better, but the sound is crap. Same thing on Leave that Thing Alone. Hopfully we get non-mudd covered version when the new DVD comes out.

They could add driven and half the world back into the line-up and I would be quite satisfied