Easiest Rush Song

Nate2112

I used to sing the live detuned version of 2112 pretty well without straining my vocals. But because I scream obnoxiously at concerts, I'd have to detune 2112 to about another 4 or 5 semitones before I could sing it without hurting my throat. So, it's only participating in the 2112 Chant during the Overture section for me nowadays.

I consider my vocal range to a mostly mid range but sometimes semi-high, so basically I won't have trouble singing post-Presto songs, and for PW-HYF songs I might have to belch a tiny bit. With the exception of The Trees, Tears, Madrigal, and to a lesser extent Cinderella Man....anything from Rush-AFTK will probably end up in me losing my voice completely, and I don't want that! no.gif

YYZ

La Villa Strangiato

Where's My Thing?

Leave That Thing Alone!

2112 Overture

Hemispheres Prelude

Limbo

The Main Monkey Bussiness

yes.gif

@OP Assuming you're a baritone (mid high to mid low) like most guys, here are some of the more easy, "gentle" songs, similar to the 2 you mentioned already.

Cygnus: The Bringer of Balance (super easy)

The Sphere (high F#, but manageable sung softly)

The Trees

Different Strings

Jacob's Ladder

Subdivisions (high F# can be hard, like in "be cast out")

New World Man (easiest on Signals, catchy rhythms)

Losing It (high F and Eb, make sure you warm up, as always)

Ghost of a Chance (practice and sing with confidence, else it flops)

(also needs a top notch guitarist, who can squeeze some soul out of those strings)

Cold Fire (good song for backup singers too, including females wink.gif )

BU2B -- if you're warmed up good, the high G's are manageable

honorable mentions:

Tai Shan -- not easy, unless you have a flexible, solid and sweet high range

Chain Lightning (fun song, catchy melodies and lyrics, if you can hit those high G's consistently)

The Pass (again, high F makes this tricky)

Bravado (stays high most of the song)

Between Sun and Moon

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jun 4 2011, 09:05 PM)
Entre Nous (but I sing it differently), Witch Hunt (the power can be a lil' tricky though), The Body Electric, Chain Lightning, Face Up, maybe Half The World, Resist would be okay if I could learn all the parts better, Carve Away The Stone, maaaybe Far Cry, The Larger Bowl, and I'm working on Spindrift and Between The Wheels, because I LOVE singing them.

Good mentions here also, esp Resist, Between the Wheels, and The Larger Bowl.

Body Electric is definitely fun and do-able, and Witch Hunt if you can hit the high notes without making the room squirm.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Jun 4 2011, 10:07 PM)
@OP Assuming you're a baritone (mid high to mid low) like most guys, here are some of the more easy, "gentle" songs, similar to the 2 you mentioned already.

Cygnus: The Bringer of Balance (super easy)
The Sphere (high F#, but manageable sung softly)
The Trees

Different Strings
Jacob's Ladder

Subdivisions (high F# can be hard, like in "be cast out")
New World Man (easiest on Signals, catchy rhythms)
Losing It (high F and Eb, make sure you warm up, as always)

Ghost of a Chance (practice and sing with confidence, else it flops)
(also needs a top notch guitarist, who can squeeze some soul out of those strings)

Cold Fire (good song for backup singers too, including females wink.gif )

BU2B -- if you're warmed up good, the high G's are manageable

honorable mentions:

Tai Shan -- not easy, unless you have a flexible, solid and sweet high range

Chain Lightning (fun song, catchy melodies and lyrics, if you can hit those high G's consistently)
The Pass (again, high F makes this tricky)

Bravado (stays high most of the song)

Between Sun and Moon

That's a great list. I'm an alto and can sing all of those fairly easily.

I can play Resist but I'm finding that 1) it's a bit low in some spots and 2) it's HARD to play and sing at the same time!! wacko.gif

Take some of these and report back how you did. If you just sing while you listen you'll figure out what you can and can't sing. There are some songs I can't but still try. tongue.gif It's all about the love of 2.gif .

QUOTE (CutToTheBass @ Jun 5 2011, 03:32 AM)
Explain to me why people seem to think that The Trees is easy to sing?

Because Geddy sings it in a reachable high range. Instead of his vocally impossible to reach high range he did with most of the 70s material.

Edited by J2112YYZ

QUOTE (CutToTheBass @ Jun 5 2011, 03:32 AM)

I don't know if it is easy, but I suprised myself by learning it on bass and found that I could actually sing along to it.

I think I found my own way to do it that sounds almost halfway decent. It has some high notes, but I don't find it as overwhelming as some other Rush songs, especially since I am not a singer, but I just want to sing like Geddy.

So the answer may be that some bassists may like the fact that it is in a singable and playable time signature if that makes sense. Distant early Warning and New World Man are the same thing for me.

I was singing along to Presto today and it was pretty easy for me. Most of the songs on that album are not too difficult, for me at least.

QUOTE (CutToTheBass @ Jun 5 2011, 02:32 AM)

It's about as easy as 70's Ged gets. Outside of the ballads of course. I can still pull it off on a good day.

------------------------------------------

Of those not mentioned I'll go with Kid Gloves. Right in my wheelhouse.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jun 9 2011, 03:08 AM)
I was singing along to Presto today and it was pretty easy for me. Most of the songs on that album are not too difficult, for me at least.

It's easy for me to sing along with that album to. Nothing on Presto is hard to pull off at all.