4. Dave Grohl

5. Lars Ulrich

6. Mike Portnoy

7. Ginger Baker

8. Jose Freese

9. Stewart Copeland

10. Ringo Starr

Like most lists, this is a bad joke laugh.gif

How does one really do a list like this?

I mean, aren't the best drummers the ones that you instinctively like?

If not, then what is the objective comparison between "great drummers" such that you can rank them accurately?

The answer appears to be there is no objective comparison, and therefore it is all subjective.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 1 2011, 09:42 AM)

I really think the point of most lists is to provoke a reaction or debate and not to be definitive.

That is why i put them up biggrin.gif Good fun . I await the reaction from Earthshine ' What ? No Carl Palmer ?' laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 1 2011, 10:59 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 1 2011, 09:42 AM)

I really think the point of most lists is to provoke a reaction or debate and not to be definitive.

That is why i put them up biggrin.gif Good fun . I await the reaction from Earthshine ' What ? No Carl Palmer ?' laugh.gif

Yeah! Where the hell is Carl Palmer?!?!?!?! rage.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 1 2011, 09:45 AM)
How does one really do a list like this?

All these websites have polls about everything . Every music website have one about drummers. I love finding them and posting them here. Then read the shit storm about Ringo and Palmer and Portnoy biggrin.gif

These lists always look like " most influential" more than " best". There are a ton of rock drummers who can run circles around Neil, as far as chops go. Its all based on what's pleasing to the ears.

That's entirely wrong! The top ten drummers (in no particular order) are:

Terry Bozzio

Vinnie Coliauta

Chad Wackerman

Neil Peart

Carl Palmer

Todd Sucherman

Omar Hakim

Mike Portnoy

Dave Weckl

Animal (the muppet) rofl3.gif

Ok, that's a list of ten guys I like to listen to!

No such thing as a list like that anyway....For every guy on this list, there are ten guys that can play them under the table, and ten more guys that can play THEM under the table! Most of these lists are a popularity contest! Kind os like the crap that Modern Drummer puts out every year...I get SO sick of reading those readers polls! The best response I ever heard was when Bill Bruford won the "Hall of Fame" one year "SO what does this get me, a Modern Drummer TIE or something?!?!"

I could never figure out why anyone has this NEED to measure musicians between each other. I like the ten guys I listed up above, but the next person to post may think that the guys I posted are all hacks!

Gavin Harrison

Neil Peart

Buddy Rich

Danny Carrey

Bill Bruford

Dave Weckl

Terry Bozzio

Carl Palmer

Mike Portney

Vinnie

I don't know, that's off the top of my head and these are the ones I enjoy listening to a lot. Especially Buddy and Dave, I love to see videos. But Gavin is the best to me and Neil is my favorite, not because of his drumming (which is really not that great compared to some of the drummers I listed) but because of how his drumming shows the emotion of his lyrics and the music.

Edited:

Replace vinnie with Bonham, and portnoy with guy evans.

Honorable mentions to the ones I removed plus Keith moon and Phil Collins and Josh freese.

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

Dave Lombardo of Slayer needs consideration. I'm not even a huge Slayer fan but dude is a kick ass drummer.

Bill Ward of Sabbath when he was younger too. Sadly, not now though.

Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy and Stewart Copeland are the only ones that even belong on the list, neil deserves to be *slightly* lower (but not much), and Stewart deserves to be higher. Mike is tricky because his drumming used to be musical and inspired but in the last several years it's become a self-parodying mess of repeated ideas and recycled fills. Not that any of the other drummers (except perhaps Ringo) are unqualified, it's just that so many drummers of different genres (and even rock drummers with lesser-known names) are so, so much better.

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jun 1 2011, 03:02 PM)
Dave Lombardo of Slayer needs consideration. I'm not even a huge Slayer fan but dude is a kick ass drummer.

Bill Ward does not get enough love.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 1 2011, 04:41 PM)
QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jun 1 2011, 03:02 PM)

Bill Ward does not get enough love.

Agree. If you've seen the video boot from British TV recorded in 1970 (generally considerd to have been filmed in Paris on 12-12-70), he's amazing that night. Early era Ward is the shit. Reunion era Ward, ummmmmm not so much.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 2 2011, 12:40 AM)
Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy and Stewart Copeland are the only ones that even belong on the list, neil deserves to be *slightly* lower (but not much), and Stewart deserves to be higher. Mike is tricky because his drumming used to be musical and inspired but in the last several years it's become a self-parodying mess of repeated ideas and recycled fills. Not that any of the other drummers (except perhaps Ringo) are unqualified, it's just that so many drummers of different genres (and even rock drummers with lesser-known names) are so, so much better.

The Gibson list is "rock drummers".

As a rock drummer Peart runs rings around any out and out jazz drummer you can care to name. The opposite is also true but irrelevant. Peart, Bonham, Moon et al are considered the best rock drummers because not only are they technically proficient but they use that proficiency to create music that interests, inspires and creates wonder for the listener. Best is not just about technical-proficiency it's also about creativity and, I believe, achievement.