Tom Sawyer covered by Igor

Strangiato

Impressive stuff. ( note to self, gotta practice more ).

Impressive playing, but there was so much muting and percussiveness that if not for his occasional "singing" and a few key licks, the song would be barely recognizable. I'll give him credit for his obvious talent and skills, but his style doesn't really work as far as suiting the song goes.

QUOTE (Scars @ May 29 2011, 03:59 PM)
Impressive playing, but there was so much muting and percussiveness that if not for his occasional "singing" and a few key licks, the song would be barely recognizable. I'll give him credit for his obvious talent and skills, but his style doesn't really work as far as suiting the song goes.

If you listen closely you can hear him play the vocal parts he doesn't sing.

Lol, he's not a very good guitarist. Not bad, but definitely not great. Where are the guitarists here to back me up? He's all kinds of off key notes. He kind of has the percussive style on guitar, but he's not that great at it.

Here's a buddy of mine who I was in a band with for years going back to high school. He's far better at that percussive style. Just posting so you can see that this Igor guy is sloppy at it.

He's a sensational guitar player.

That actually makes more sense of Tom Sawyer than the original does, for me. I've never liked that tune much - it sounds too disjointed and stop / start. But Igor makes it coherent .. in all the times I've heard Tom Sawyer since 1981, I've never liked it so much as I did when I played that YouTube video.

I watched Rush perform it from the front row a week ago. This was better.

True about Igors playing not being "perfect" but I do think it's an interesting variation. I've looked into some of his other stuff he's posted on you tube. Does seem to pick odd tunes to cover, for example, metallica, nothing else matters which again doesn't seem quite right. Should be tuned down half step?

This guy is completely self taught using tabs and you tube footage of other artists.( a bit like me really ). I liked it for what it is, a version of, an interpretation for a solo guitar but yes, there's definatley better about on you tube.

Here's an example although not a rush tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3vppeJcsd0...be_gdata_player

Edited by Gilby