Cut to the Chase

rush22112

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing song. So full of energy... such funky drums and bass, and the guitar solo... woah! Absolutely killer. Easily defeats both Animate and Stick It Out.

I think the reason they don't play it live is because Lerxst probably just had a good day when they recorded it. Not that I doubt his proficiency, but he has gotten sloppier recently. (On some nights that is, there are occasions when he is at his all-time best)

Edited by CutToTheBass

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 27 2011, 08:30 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 27 2011, 06:07 PM)
They should play this instead of Stick it Out if they're going to do a Counterparts song.

yes.gif

In addition to that one, I'd love to hear "Alien Shore", another song from the record that hasn't been played live.

I second this. yes.gif

Variety is good in general, but on an album as solid as CP, there really is no reason to not play the vast majority of it.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ May 31 2011, 03:30 PM)
Great riff, great song...don't understand why it doesn't get played.

That's been a mystery to me for many years. But they finally decided to do Presto so maybe there's a chance CTTC can make it in before they retire.

Maybe they don't play it because Geddy's afraid he might sing "Cut To The Cheese" instead tongue.gif

Knowing their sense of humor I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case laugh.gif

I heard this song for the first time today. (SHOCK!) But I don't have CP yet soo.. D:

But, anyways, WOW, my mind was pretty much blown. Now I know why everyone says CP is such a fantastic album. Now I'm pretty much itching to get it. laugh.gif

This song in particular? Wow, just wow. I loved everything about it - the lyrics, the concept, the music.. In fact, I'm using "Cut to the Chase" as the title for my next writing project. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Yeah, inspiration!

Great song, great album. Production, songs, vocal melodies, lyrical themes, instrumental work, you name it. Of course, if you don't dig the style, you're not going to budge. But if you've got an open appreciation for RUSH diversity, you realize this is top notch.

But yeah, even so, some of the vocal harmonies and chord changes are a bit odd. But the best moments outweigh the rest.

Intro

Solo

But I'm man enough to not care what you think of me

theme: one person doesn't matter, bottomline

It f'n rocks.

Outside of possibly Animate, it's the best song on CP (an awesome album)!

To this day, I can't wrap my head around the fact that it has never been played live. It just feels like it was meant to have the live treatment.

Oh well...hopefully next year. 1022.gif

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jun 3 2011, 12:56 AM)
I heard this song for the first time today. (SHOCK!) But I don't have CP yet soo.. D:

But, anyways, WOW, my mind was pretty much blown. Now I know why everyone says CP is such a fantastic album. Now I'm pretty much itching to get it. laugh.gif

Get it!

IMO, Counterparts at the time was their best album since Signals.

It marked a full return to guitar driven music, versus synth driven.

(Presto was a step in that direction, but then RTB happened..... no.gif )

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 3 2011, 09:33 AM)

Get it!

yes.gif CP is an amazing album. Everyday Glory is really the only mediocre song. All the rest are awesome. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 3 2011, 06:20 PM)

Get it!

yes.gif CP is a mediocre album. Everyday Glory is really a mediocre song. All the rest are mediocre. 1022.gif

I can run with that.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 28 2011, 12:30 AM)
They should play this instead of Stick it Out if they're going to do a Counterparts song.

yes.gif

In addition to that one, I'd love to hear "Alien Shore", another song from the record that hasn't been played live.

Yes, yes, yes, Alien Shore is a great song. Cut to the chase, the fantastic Between Sun and Moon and Stick it out are some other good ones on CP IMO.

Stick it out seems to divide opinions on whether it should be played live, i reckon it should be, after all we dont hear much pronounced feedback on Lerxts sound so much these days. And it rocks too!

Cold Fire could do with a live outing as well.

I'd replace Animate as a live song with all of the above any day of the week. And thats not to say i dont like Animate, just think all the above are better.

Wow, after reading my own post i never knew i liked CP so much!

QUOTE (Humbleanddumb @ Jun 4 2011, 12:00 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 28 2011, 12:30 AM)

yes.gif

Yes, yes, yes, Alien Shore is a great song. Cut to the chase, the fantastic Between Sun and Moon and Stick it out are some other good ones on CP IMO.

Stick it out seems to divide opinions on whether it should be played live, i reckon it should be, after all we dont hear much pronounced feedback on Lerxts sound so much these days. And it rocks too!

Cold Fire could do with a live outing as well.

I'd replace Animate as a live song with all of the above any day of the week. And thats not to say i dont like Animate, just think all the above are better.

Wow, after reading my own post i never knew i liked CP so much!

Damn, i forgot Speed of Love as well. Great song IMO.

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Jun 3 2011, 05:19 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 3 2011, 06:20 PM)

Get it!

yes.gif CP is a mediocre album. Everyday Glory is really a mediocre song. All the rest are mediocre. 1022.gif

I can run with that.

same here....Cut to the Chase is a pretty good song, but not really a fan of Counterparts.....for me that one ranks in the bottom 4 or 5 Rush albums...

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 4 2011, 06:42 PM)
Cut to the Chase is the best song off Counterparts Never played Live! It should be top 5 next year in our Song requests to the guys!

yes.gif

agreed!

I've always felt Cut to the Chase was a monster waiting to be unleashed live...would be perfect in the 2nd or 3rd spot of a setlist. My favorite track off of CP.