Rush - at a rock festival??

Mara

"Apparently Rush has been so impressed by the success of their European tour that they are considering breaking with tradition and headlining one of the large British festival shows next summer as reported earlier this week by rock/metal news site Rush on Rock. Some of the possible festivals being considered are High Voltage, Download and Sonisphere. The show would be part of their planned tour in support of their forthcoming studio album Clockwork Angels. "

Now I know they did the SARS-stock thing, but that was a bit different as it was charity -motivated. This could be really cool. . .

. . .or, if you're a UK Rush fan and don't want to deal with all of the headaches of a festival-type atmosphere - i.e., competing for tickets with fans of the other participating bands, it could really suck, depending on how it's structured.

Thoughts?

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 27 2011, 05:59 PM)
QUOTE (Nate2112 @ May 27 2011, 03:57 PM)
I wish i lived in UK... sad.gif

BUT THERE'S HOPE!! bacon.gif

Why would you want to live in the UK?

laugh.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ May 27 2011, 09:07 PM)
High Voltage has a "Prog stage" so that would suit Rush perfectly.

I can't see them playing Sonisphere, isn't that more heavy metaly type bands? (I believe Slipknot is headlining this year)

Download usually has the biggest names. Rush doing that would be very cool

They would be headlining High Voltage on the main stage.

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 27 2011, 08:43 PM)

I can't see them playing Sonisphere, isn't that more heavy metaly type bands? (I believe Slipknot is headlining this year)

How do tickets and seating work for that?

See, when I go to Ticketbastard to try for tickets for a specific concerts date by one specific band, I know I'm "in competition" with other fans of the same band (and of course the bastard shitwipe scalpers). It's a smaller pool than if I've gotta battle a bunch of other festival-goers who have no interest in Rush, but want to see four or five of the other acts.

Hmm. It's a festival so there's no seating allocation. As long as you get a ticket that's that matters. Tbh, with criticism about uk fans not partying enough, a festival will be superb. Once things kick off, the more reserved people not looning and dancing around would drift away from the front and leave the hardcore fans the opportunity to "get on it" ! Edited by Gilby

A festival appearance would be ace.

I'd imagine they'll do either Download, High Voltage or Sonisphere. The latter two being more likely as the festival dynamic is much better suited to Rush. Plus as Sonisphere is a touring festival it'd offer them some more shows in Europe, and a nice hefty pay cheque.

Hopefully they'll do a couple of decent mainland Euro fests as well, as they're always great fun.

QUOTE (Mara @ May 28 2011, 01:20 AM)

Dude, it's a festival, you take your own seating - except HV ban it smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 28 2011, 10:00 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ May 28 2011, 01:20 AM)

Dude, it's a festival, you take your own seating - except HV ban it smile.gif

Well, I don't "do" festivals, mainly because I really, really hate crowds, so I wasn't sure. Local ordinances in this country sometimes place restrictions on how admission is handled in the name of Crowd Control.

Then again, no one knows queue-ing better than the fine denizens of the UK. Unless, of course, it's a football match. wink.gif

"Apparently Rush has been so impressed by the success of their European tour that they are considering postponing additional writing and recording their album Clockwork Angels"

is really how that kinda reads. laugh.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 28 2011, 10:48 AM)
"Apparently Rush has been so impressed by the success of their European tour that they are considering postponing additional writing and recording their album Clockwork Angels"

is really how that kinda reads. laugh.gif

I read it more as something they'd do AFTER the release of CA. "Tour in support of" usually means there's a recent release on the market.

QUOTE (Mara @ May 28 2011, 02:55 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 28 2011, 10:48 AM)

is really how that kinda reads.  laugh.gif

I read it more as something they'd do AFTER the release of CA. "Tour in support of" usually means there's a recent release on the market.

I'm pretty sure he was poking fun at the fact that they postponed CA for the TM tour. doh.gif

QUOTE (Gilby @ May 28 2011, 07:23 AM)
Tbh, with criticism about uk fans not partying enough, a festival will be superb.

That only applies to a couple of dates! Please don't tar us all with the same brush. wink.gif

IF it happens then I reckon it'll be High Voltage

Edited by FoxxiStarr

QUOTE (FoxxiStarr @ May 28 2011, 04:51 PM)
Tbh, with criticism about uk fans not partying enough, a festival will be superb.

That only applies to a couple of dates! Please don't tar us all with the same brush. wink.gif

Apologies, I was of course generalising, no offence intended. I know how well the scots can party !

Seeing Rush at a festival doesn't seem to enticing for me. Typically higher price and probably a shorter Rush set.

I was thinking at first about the high cost, but as much as the tickets have been the last couple of tours, it might be cheaper.

QUOTE (Gilby @ May 28 2011, 10:01 PM)
QUOTE (FoxxiStarr @ May 28 2011, 04:51 PM)

Apologies, I was of course generalising, no offence intended. I know how well the scots can party !

No worries smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 28 2011, 08:58 AM)
QUOTE (Nate2112 @ May 27 2011, 07:57 PM)
I wish i lived in UK... sad.gif

BUT THERE'S HOPE!! bacon.gif

I'm glad you don't live in the UK.

There's also CASTLETON.

not nearly as much as most people in the US are glad you DO live in the UK...hard even for your stench 062802puke_prv.gif to drift 'cross the pond.