phlaaps

During the performance of La Villa in Dublin, I shed a tear.

There, I said it and I feel great.

A grown man crying in public. f**k you. This is the 21st century and a real man can cry if he wants!

Anyone else had any wee teary moments at a show.....or for that matter while chopping carrots in the kitchen listening to Rush Radio?

Come on, admit it.

Honesty costs you nothing.

I did not actually cry but definitely felt a groundswell of emotion during Time Stand Still.

I was at the show with a great friend of mine, a fellow rush freak i have known for close to 30 years. We were both taking our sons to their first shows. I am not much of a fan of TSS but have always liked the lyrics:

Summer's going fast,

Nights growing colder

Children growing up-

Old friends growing older

Experience slips away...

2.gif cool10.gif

No tears from this rugged chunk of masculinity either...but I did find, particularly the first half, more emotionally moving than I'd expected: Faithless, BU2B, Time Stand Still all moved me and seemed emotionally connected to my life.

In the second half, it was only Vital Signs that spoke to me on any deeper level (as opposed to the 'It's YYZ - let's rock with this tune woo-hoo' level). Although I love the old stuff, lyrically, at least for me, it tends not to have the emotional richness of the later stuff.

Disco

I cried....

When my father died.sad.gif

And also when the dogs die at the end of "Where the Red Fern Grows"

Disclaimer: I am by no means comparing the death of my father with the death of 2 fictional dogs.

Edited by metallithrax

I did tear up at a Rush concert once. Actually twice. On the same night.

It was the Vapor Trails tour, 2002. I was stoned to the bejesus, and when they started playing Distant Early Warning (one of my favorites), I started thinking about my young daughter, and 9/11, and I just got overwhelmed for a minute.

Later, at the end of Peart's drum solo, the crowd absolutely erupted (his first tour back from tragedy and all that). The emotion was overwhelming at that point too.

But other than that, I'm a manly man all the time.

1287.gif

wink.gif

I had been listening to Rush since 2008 (I'm currently 20), idolizing them and being inspired by their every song. When I finally saw them live for the first time last July, I'll admit I got teary-eyed during the opening of "The Spirit of Radio." No, I didn't breakdown and cry, but there was something working up. Just seeing the band that had become my life musically and hearing those notes I had become so familiar with--it was overwhelming for a moment.

I was happy with the secret Xmas present I bought to myself, year was 1981 and the content was "Exit Stage Left"..what a mysterious and intelligent prog-heavy band from farwaway Canada.

So many tears with Rush after that..for joy and overall happiness. Been thinking a lot ever since..

heart.gif

QUOTE (Disco @ May 27 2011, 04:40 PM)
Although I love the old stuff, lyrically, at least for me, it tends not to have the emotional richness of the later stuff.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Scars @ May 27 2011, 08:29 PM)
Just seeing the band that had become my life musically and hearing those notes I had become so familiar with--it was overwhelming for a moment.

Exactly how I felt after all the waiting and exitement. 2.gif

The "GOOOOO NEEEEEIL!" that swelled from the crowd as Love For Sale reached the end in Hershey - you could tell he heard it and how emotional it was. I nearly sniffled...okay I did.

The songs (not live) have had me going on occasion, too. One of the board's former members used to rag on me a bit for my emotional reaction to 2112 tongue.gif

Edited by 1 of the 7

I cried in Dublin and Rotterdam and I cried as my girl friend said: 'go f**kin' check your emails you will have a meet and greet tomorrow' - Life is sooooooo gooood!!!

And so I cried (just a little) when Alex and Geddy came in the room and all the people in there freaked out!

Cheers from Germany

QUOTE (greyfriar @ May 30 2011, 05:10 AM)
I cried in Dublin and Rotterdam and I cried as my girl friend said: 'go f**kin' check your emails you will have a meet and greet tomorrow' - Life is sooooooo gooood!!!
And so I cried (just a little) when Alex and Geddy came in the room and all the people in there freaked out!
Cheers from Germany

goodpost.gif

I must admit, when the opening of SOR started I felt pretty emotional. I did well up a little, then I thought "your a grown man with your son watching, get a f...ing grip you big Jessie". Then I was fine, something about Rush that gets me emotionally, don't know what it is?

Been a fan for 18 years and have seen them 8 times and i've never cried during any of the shows. I always enjoy my live Rush experiences but have never once felt the need to do that at one of the shows or one of the many concerts i've been to through the years.

There's no crying in Rock N Roll. What's wrong with you people? laugh.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (phlaaps @ May 27 2011, 02:38 PM)
During the performance of La Villa in Dublin, I shed a tear.

There, I said it and I feel great.

A grown man crying in public. f**k you. This is the 21st century and a real man can cry if he wants!

Anyone else had any wee teary moments at a show.....or for that matter while chopping carrots in the kitchen listening to Rush Radio?

Come on, admit it.

Honesty costs you nothing.

During Alex' arpeggio part in the Soliloquy part of 2112 the first time I saw the band, I did shed a tear, yes. But I was 16 at the time.

QUOTE (Slim @ May 30 2011, 11:12 PM)
During Alex' arpeggio part in the Soliloquy part of 2112 the first time I saw the band, I did shed a tear, yes. But I was 16 at the time.

You f***ing soft piece of shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!