02 London 25th May.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 29 2011, 04:05 AM)
QUOTE (Undemanding Contact @ May 29 2011, 01:27 AM)
... If you really want to stand up for your rights, and I mean actually stand up and not write a post on a forum...

Hang on, there is a case for kicking up a stink about an important issue on a forum such as this.

a. As pointed out, a given forum exists in in order to facilitate free-voice on any issue that pertains to the focus of that forum.

b. As others state reasonably on other threads in this forum: if you do not like the line a given thread takes, or the way it is developing, you can choose to ignore that thread.

c. People who have the ear of Al, Ged and Neil, and who scan this forum in order to get a slice of what is happening at the grass-roots, will have caught the stink people have raised here, and that can be (in my view) only for the good.

Going on my understanding of, say, Ged, I can imagine a conversation like this:

Guy who has Ged's ear: 'Ged, the O2 on the 25th: from what I'm reading on the Internet, the sound for the punters up in the higher levels sucked. It seems that the problem is partly architectural, but I get the feeling that the sound engineers managed to cock it up despite that.'

Ged: 'Shit!'

Surely though, working on the assumption that one of Rush's inner circle MIGHT make their way here, to this particular thread, is time-wasting when there are avenues that WILL make their way to Rush/Management.

Yes, the forum exists for the voicing of opinions related to the band and their shows, but the poster has made clear that he a/ wants something done about it and b/ wants more sympathy from other members. On the second point, if those members don't want to play ball surely they are within their 'rights' to be able to produce a counterpoint to a debate and continue engaging in said debate without being given the asisine comeback of 'If you don't like the content, don't look/post in here' (where would be the fun in a forum if topics only contained one side of everything).

I've tried to make sure whatever I've written hasn't been the childish name-calling and mud-slinging that was seen earlier in the thread, adding something that furthers the discussion and even though negative gives marshy pointers where he can go next - contribution, rather than feeling like I have to ignore it because a said few want to beat their drum and not let anyone else play. That is the whole point of a forum after all, isn't it? Everyone being able to contribute in their own way.

What I'm trying to say is, if the poster wants to get something done, while he could use this forum to do it there are different avenues that will probably get better results. It depends whether marshy is as proactive as he says he is, or whether he's pandering for the crowds attention.

Funnily enough I have already emailed Anthem management and am awaiting a reply.

I'm not holding my breath though comp26.gif

Marshy. xx

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in A3 and I thought the sound was fine.

I have been to the O2 for a gig (jeff waynes war of the worlds) and both gigs had great sound.

I only thing I could fault the O2 on is the price of a drink.

I would sooner goto the O2 now rather than wembley areana anyday.The sound quality there is shit.(unless they have pulled the place down and started again since the last time I was there in 2004)

I would not have gone to the gig I i couldnt get either A1.A2 or A3 blocks.

OK, so here's my two pennyworth:

- yes I have registered just to make this post

- yes I am aware that Rush themselves may not read this, but am hoping that maybe (a) they or someone close to them will get wind of it and/or (cool.gif someone else here can point me to a way of getting the news to them

- for the record (in case it matters) I have been a Rush fan for 30 years (one day maybe I'll be able to say "50 odd years"...), so everything I say here is meant in the spirit not of radio but of genuine surprise, disappointment and constructive criticism...

...but the sound utterly sucked. I was in Block 106 (if the stage was 12 o'clock this would have been about 7 o'clock), maybe 25 rows up the elevation. From the beginning of "Spirit..." I knew something was amiss, I couldn't quite tell what it was but knew that the headache/sickness inducing subsonic standing wave was NOT in the Rush gameplan for the evening. Eventually I figured that it was Neil's kick drum which was just so loud/badly filtered that it was overwhelming everything at the bottom end anywhere its frequency range - Geddy's voice when it dropped into the low registers, Alex's guitar when he played at the bottom of the neck, and any percussion other than the snare or cymbals.

The net of all this was that the first set was virtually unlistenable - I even went to have a word with the sound guy who claimed it was OK...or a "room issue". As someone who has either been to or had reports from friends who have been to everything from Metallica to Prince at the O2, I can confirm that plenty of bands can get the room spot on (Roger Water's The Wall the week before was like listening to the CD). In retrospect I didn't think I was alone - hardly anyone around me was reacting, muted applause, no cheers or whatever, I think mostly because they were all thinking "wtf?", rather than some dodgy set list choices.

The second set was a little better, but by that time we had moved to some spare seats behind the sound desk, so we couldn't see much but at least could hear something. All in all a huge disappointment: having looked forward to this gig for around 6 months (and 6 years since the R30 tour at the toilet bowl that is Wembley Arena) I walked out feeling really flat.

Guys - if you/your management are reading this, some response would be appreciated - there are enough people complaining here to be clear that it wasn't my imagination (or that of my mate who was there and said the same thing).

I'm an old timer (knackered OAP!) and was at the front of block B1 with my son in law.

We both thought that the gig was superb.

The sound did seem a bit distorted and mushy to start with but improved during the first set.

Everyone around us stood throughout and seemed to be having a great time. I have arthritis in my spine, knees and feet so I struggled to stay standing at times - but I was determined to keep on my feet even if it fecking killed me!

This old fart was not "disappointed" - just glad to be alive and kicking at a performance by the greatest rock band ever 653.gif

Listen guys, if you want perfect view and sound, just stay at home and watch the DVD's wink.gif ...and don't take that offensive...cause I don't mean to offend anyone. It's just a fact - you can't get perfect sound at indoor arena, especially big one with poor or no special acoustic treatment as O2. I've been to many rock concerts in my life and none of them had great sound indoors...of course it's just my point of view. But I also have another point of view, cause I work like soundengineer. Of course I never did the FoH sound for such a big band and in such a big hole...oops, I mean hall biggrin.gif But I had the experience to make sound for rock groups and symphonic orchestras in little bit smaller sport hall and I tell you - IT'S f@@kin pain in the ass. Acoustic treatment is something very hard to calculate, design and create...besides it's too expensive so they do it just for smaller halls which are not good for big/rock concerts. Besides a rock concert have to be loud - ALWAYS. And making loud and clear (in the same time) sound is mission impossible when you have bad acoustics and the sound reverberate all the time from every f@@kin wall and ceiling around. O2 is just a hole - no acoustics, no nothing.

Well, I'm not saying the sound in London was bad...it was little bit worse than Birmingham and Birmingham was very clear...but that's just my point of view - I was standing on the floor, 9 rows away from the stage (12 rows in London).

In situations like that you can get the best (possible) sound near the FoH mixer, just because if the soundengineers can change anything, they do it from their point of view, without hearing the sound on the sides or somewhere else. At the beginning of the second half in London I was able to stand about minute or two just behind the mixer and the sound was very clear...but then the security guy came and sent me to my seat biggrin.gif

Just to be honest - I always go to concerts for the emotion of seeing my fav bands live, to feel the show, the atmosphere...and I don't care so much for the sound - it's always better on the DVD smile.gif

p.s. Just one more very important thing I want to discuss. I was talking with my friend Sean, who bought our tickets (thanks, mate) and his two friends Marc and Martin (cheers smile.gif) I want to share the same thing here: I know it's just business, safety and that kind of shit but having seats in front of stage? This is stupid!

I'm from Bulgaria - we never have seats in front of stage, just standing tickets. If you are a true fan, you always buy tickets for the front of stage area (they are more expensive of course). If you are not so true (or want to save some money) you just buy tickets for the area behind front of stage area (cheaper). And if you want to sit, there are plenty of side areas with seats. Also...you don't have place reserved...it might look bad...but it's honest I think. If you are a true fan, you go early, you suffer, you wait in sun and rain and you are one of the first to pass the gates and one of the first to find good place (on the barrier in front of stage if you are in this area)...and if you are not so true fan, you just come later and have worse place smile.gif

QUOTE (ghost of a chance @ Jun 1 2011, 01:03 PM)
Listen guys, if you want perfect view and sound, just stay at home and watch the DVD's

What like RiR with it's abysmal sound, and all the Rush DVD's have waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too frenetic editing .

Rush Sux.

I was in B1 or 3 at the 02 I cant remember but it sounded OK a bit muffled possibly, lacking a bit of dynamic range if anything.

The Ahoy sounded a whole lot more bassy/dynamic but maybe that was because I was a bit closer or possibly because it was a smaller venue?

still enjoyed both gigs massively though as i had been waiting 4 years since last time they were in Europe!!

trink38.gif

QUOTE (RobC @ Jun 1 2011, 01:39 PM)
still enjoyed both gigs massively though as i had been waiting 4 years since last time they were in Europe!!

No you hadn't. You'd been waiting five months short of four years. Don't exaggerate.

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Jun 1 2011, 05:21 PM)
QUOTE (RobC @ Jun 1 2011, 01:39 PM)

No you hadn't. You'd been waiting five months short of four years. Don't exaggerate.

Terribly sorry if I havent got the exact dates of the last tour embedded into my brain!!

moon.gif

QUOTE (AledLifebuoy @ May 30 2011, 09:55 AM)
OK, so here's my two pennyworth:

- yes I have registered just to make this post

- yes I am aware that Rush themselves may not read this, but am hoping that maybe (a) they or someone close to them will get wind of it and/or (cool.gif someone else here can point me to a way of getting the news to them

- for the record (in case it matters) I have been a Rush fan for 30 years (one day maybe I'll be able to say "50 odd years"...), so everything I say here is meant in the spirit not of radio but of genuine surprise, disappointment and constructive criticism...

...but the sound utterly sucked. I was in Block 106 (if the stage was 12 o'clock this would have been about 7 o'clock), maybe 25 rows up the elevation. From the beginning of "Spirit..." I knew something was amiss, I couldn't quite tell what it was but knew that the headache/sickness inducing subsonic standing wave was NOT in the Rush gameplan for the evening. Eventually I figured that it was Neil's kick drum which was just so loud/badly filtered that it was overwhelming everything at the bottom end anywhere its frequency range - Geddy's voice when it dropped into the low registers, Alex's guitar when he played at the bottom of the neck, and any percussion other than the snare or cymbals.

The net of all this was that the first set was virtually unlistenable - I even went to have a word with the sound guy who claimed it was OK...or a "room issue". As someone who has either been to or had reports from friends who have been to everything from Metallica to Prince at the O2, I can confirm that plenty of bands can get the room spot on (Roger Water's The Wall the week before was like listening to the CD). In retrospect I didn't think I was alone - hardly anyone around me was reacting, muted applause, no cheers or whatever, I think mostly because they were all thinking "wtf?", rather than some dodgy set list choices.

The second set was a little better, but by that time we had moved to some spare seats behind the sound desk, so we couldn't see much but at least could hear something. All in all a huge disappointment: having looked forward to this gig for around 6 months (and 6 years since the R30 tour at the toilet bowl that is Wembley Arena) I walked out feeling really flat.

Guys - if you/your management are reading this, some response would be appreciated - there are enough people complaining here to be clear that it wasn't my imagination (or that of my mate who was there and said the same thing).

Very well said...!...totally agree ( see first post)...those of us seated on the sides at the O2 on the 25th cant all be deaf.!!............still disappointed !

Having graced/disgraced the 02 with my presence that night, i found the sound ok overall.. except on Working Man (interesting intro' btw). Going for the "big finish", all we got was a garbled mess of noise, like the band couldn't wind-up quick enough.