02 London 25th May.

Come on now Marshy... Don't take your frustrations out on other TRF members. Its not our faults that the sound quality was shite. Go complain to The 02 or the bands techies. Getting personal on here over that is a little childish IMO.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (marshy64 @ May 27 2011, 11:41 AM)
and dare I even suggest that they could have checked out possible bad reports about the O2's sound before they considered booking the venue in the 1st place.

actually they did. my brother interviewed them for classic rock presents prog magazine when beyond the lighted stage was due to be released. geddy specifically asked about the O2 and what it was like as a venue but my brother couldn't help him as he'd never been there.

and if he had i'm sure he would have recommended it... as i said the sound on the floor was spot on right from the first song. far better than any rush concert at wembley arena that either of us have ever been to.

Edited by arctangent

QUOTE (arctangent @ May 27 2011, 07:03 AM)
QUOTE (marshy64)

Honest and truthful. YES!

honest is ok. truthful though? its not truth you are stating but your opinion. that's neither true or untrue as it is not a 'fact'. if that's how you feel fine but don't try and tell us its the 'truth' and don't expect everyone to agree with your opinion.

a bit of advice - next time you decide to by tickets to an arena show, try and remember the logistics of the sound in such a place. in my many years of gig going experience sound is always set up to be best in front of the stage. which is why i never by tickets for this kind of gig that are not on the floor itself. if you are anywhere else don't expect the sound to be good (although if you are lucky and it is that's a brucey bonus).

Arctangent. You have a point!

Truthful was maybe the wrong word to use.

Please read back what you have written and in a strange twist you are agreeing with my opinions!

Who is responsible for designing and building these new arena's?

If the sound is guaranteed to be crap apart from on the floor does this mean there will only be a couple of thousand there next time as everybody else has taken note?

I take it then that next time around if it's the O2 and you don't secure floor tickets that you will be having a night in?

Do you not think that is a sad state of affairs?

This all goes back to one of my original points. If the band really cared more about the fans than the money, they would go back to smaller halls

that they know offer great views and great sound.

They could leave the fireworks and screens at home and charge a reasonable price.

Is the spectacle and the income now more important than the music?

Looks like a yes from where I am standing!

What kind of animal I am or whether i'm not funny or a smartarse or even a stalker is immaterial.

I have got you guys out of doing the washing up and got you communicating on here.

Isn't that what it's all about. I've got you stoked up and talking!!!

Sorry about the Liverpool comment though. I apologise now before the 18 league titles and numerous European cups get thrown in my direction!!

Shankly was a legend who insisted that his players gave everything for the paying supporters and made sure that all the players new the fans were more important than anything else. The players knew who really paid their wages.

When the yanks came in at Anfield it was all very different. They were only trying to make a quick buck and had no respect for the loyal followers or the history of a great club!

It's easy to take your eye off the ball and start taking things for granted.

Ring any bells?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marshy.

i don't know where you suggest any band plays though. every venue i have ever been to i have heard people have issues with the sound, from small venues like the scala through brixton right up to wembley stadium. its the nature of most venue's design that someone somewhere will have poor sound.

that isn't rush's fault though. most of these venues have become music venues by accident. there are very few purpose designed and built music venues anywhere. certainly the O2 isn't that new now and certainly wasn't originally designed as a music venue.

and i have indeed not gone to concerts because i couldn't get a floor ticket. i have missed pearl jam's last 2 shows in london because i couldn't get decent floor tickets. i also nearly missed out on seeing porcupine tree at the royal albert hall (a purpose built music venue where the sound at the side and up above the floor is always complained about too) because all the decent tickets had gone (luckily someone knew someone who got me a good ticket!).

i doubt next time a band play the O2 that there will only be people on the floor. some don't know, many don't care. If rush decide to play there again they will still sell most if not all the tickets as they are probably one of the best live bands in the world and lots of people want to see them.

Marshy first of all you're a sound perfectionist and all round Rush knocker , now you're a football pundit....Are there no end to your talents ?

Are you Rodney Marsh ? ... I ask only because you talk as much drivel as him.

(still working hard to reach my 6000 odd posts) wink.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (Wartypig @ May 27 2011, 08:32 AM)
Marshy first of all you're a sound perfectionist and all round Rush knocker , now you're a football pundit....Are there no end to your talents ?

Are you Rodney Marsh ? ... I ask only because you talk as much drivel as him.

(still working hard to reach my 6000 odd posts) wink.gif tongue.gif

OK

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Don't diss my old man. He was a top player.

I have the rest of my life to get on with so this my parting shot and no as you will see there is no end to my talents!

THERE IS TROUBLE IN THE FOREST

AND THE OLDER FANS MIGHT FLEE

AS I CARE I SCREAM "OPPRESSION"

BUT THE BAND JUST SHAKE THEIR TREE

WE NEED TO FORM A UNION

DEMANDING BETTER SOUND

BUT THE BAND MAY BE TOO GREEDY

TO GIVE US VALUE FOR OUR POUND

LETS PUT PAY TO LIVE DEPRESSION

AND PASS A NOBLE LAW

THAT RUSH MUST OFFER PERFECT SOUND

AND NOT JUST ON THE FLOOR!!

Take care my lovelies

it's been a blast

MARSHY.XXX

QUOTE (marshy64 @ May 27 2011, 05:00 AM)
QUOTE (willowroolz @ May 27 2011, 03:34 AM)
London audiences may not stand up and rock out but they sure know how to complain.  All those years you've been fans and you've only now managed to register here just to have a moan?  Well done.

I am really sorry to upset you with my moaning.

You obviously deserve huge respect having posted over 670 comments in 4 whole years!

You must be a true fan to be on here every spare minute you have sharing interesting facts like what Geddy had for breakfast today!

I paid my money and am fully entitled to have a whinge if I encountered a shit experience.

When you finally leave your bedroom to encounter the outside world you may occassionaly find that something pisses you off!

Good luck in your quest to find out what brand of golf balls Alex uses and don't forget to share it with all the other hardcore drones on here!

Luv and respect

Marshy.

A Rush fan for 33 years. Sorry I don't live and breathe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He had bangers and mash that morning

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Over the years having attended dozens of huge gigs with shit sound, I've become more and more convinced that the real problem is cloth-eared sound engineers who, despite having tens of thousands of quids worth of state of the art technology at their fingertips, just can't do their job right.

On Wed at o2 the principle cause of all the extraneous noise and low frequency rumbling/droning was (as I believe is often the case) the bass drum. It was simply too loud and too bassy and it interacted with the bass guitar and created a really horrible wash of low frequency noise, leaving no space in the music itself and making it so much harder for the guitar and vocal to cut through.

The overall volume was simply too loud as well and just made the problems worse.

The worst concert sounds I've ever experienced were Rush at Wembley (1st night) on the S & A Tour three and a half years ago and ZZ Top - same venue, circa 1985 or 86. The sound was virtually the same at both these gigs

The o2 on Wed was a little bit better, but more crud than good.

In short - it's (imo) incompetence behind the sound desk more than the admitedly lousy natural acoustics of the venue. The equipment is easily capable of producing a much better sound

QUOTE (clone @ May 28 2011, 12:17 AM)
Over the years having attended dozens of huge gigs with shit sound, I've become more and more convinced that the real problem is cloth-eared sound engineers who, despite having tens of thousands of quids worth of state of the art technology at their fingertips, just can't do their job right.
In short - it's (imo) incompetence behind the sound desk more than the admitedly lousy natural acoustics of the venue. The equipment is easily capable of producing a much better sound

Thank you, that's what I said back on the first page of this thread.

I'm not 100% sure about this because of the distance I was away from the desk but I thought I saw the sound engineer at Manchester wearing headphones. What use is that!

QUOTE (Redshift @ May 28 2011, 06:30 AM)

I'm not 100% sure about this because of the distance I was away from the desk but I thought I saw the sound engineer at Manchester wearing headphones. What use is that!

Must have sounded great at the desk then wink.gif

At thay a Stoke lad then ? weer abite at from owd lad ?

MArshy, I don't fault you for loggin in to complain.

We all have high expectations of the band and want to share that with our loved ones. Then to have below mediocre experience is beyond disappointing.

My fellow TRFers jumped on you a little too briskly IMO. There have been many critical threads in here so don't think everyone here is a mindless drooling sycophant. But we loves us some RUSH. biggrin.gif

I'm sorry you had a bad time with your kids/friends. Just wait for the DVD! It will be awesome!

I saw three shows this tour (Helsinki, Stockholm and Sheffield) and i was lucky to get good floor

tickets. I think this tour was best soundwise if i compare to 2004 and 2007 tours.

Overall balance was much better than previous tours. Overall volume was also little lower than

S & A tour, which was much louder.

Yes, the sound may vary a lot. 653.gif

QUOTE (Wartypig @ May 28 2011, 09:32 AM)

No me duck!

I'm originally from Hertfordshire but have been up here since 1979.

I do support Stoke City tho.

QUOTE (Redshift @ May 28 2011, 03:13 PM)
QUOTE (Wartypig @ May 28 2011, 09:32 AM)

No me duck!

I'm originally from Hertfordshire but have been up here since 1979.

I do support Stoke City tho.

Thayt owrayt be may surry.......

All I can say is that for the first time in my and my mates lives we walked out of a gig early because the sound was so bad - at least in 418 & later in 415. We even had trouble identifying tracks that we'd known and loved almost all our adult lives (30 odd years in our cases)

We would have left at the interval but were advised by a member of staff to raise the issue with O2 Customer Services, which we did. They advised that they were aware of problems with the sound and would be trying to sort it for the second half and that if we could try and change seats we should - hence the reference to 415 above.

The sound improved quite a lot initially after the interval but did seem to get worse again after a couple of tracks and we then decided that enough was enough and we left - bitterly disappointed.

For those that say we should have got better tickets, shame on you. We paid our money same as everyone else and should have been able to get a better sound quality than that comparable to having your head stuck in the boot of some deaf drum and bass fan who's just bought themselves a new stereo.

For those that say that I've only joined the forum to complain - then yes, you're correct. Isn't that the reason to have a forum, to voice opinion. If you don't like it then tough. If everyone had done their job properly I'd have no cause for complaint but someone somewhere didn't do what they were paid for.

We've complained to the O2 who say that there is little they can do and we are now taking it up with the promoter - "kennedy street enterprises".

kse@kennedystreet.com

QUOTE (ghengis @ May 28 2011, 05:09 PM)
All I can say is that for the first time in my and my mates lives we walked out of a gig early because the sound was so bad - at least in 418 & later in 415. We even had trouble identifying tracks that we'd known and loved almost all our adult lives (30 odd years in our cases)

We would have left at the interval but were advised by a member of staff to raise the issue with O2 Customer Services, which we did. They advised that they were aware of problems with the sound and would be trying to sort it for the second half and that if we could try and change seats we should - hence the reference to 415 above.

The sound improved quite a lot initially after the interval but did seem to get worse again after a couple of tracks and we then decided that enough was enough and we left - bitterly disappointed.

For those that say we should have got better tickets, shame on you. We paid our money same as everyone else and should have been able to get a better sound quality than that comparable to having your head stuck in the boot of some deaf drum and bass fan who's just bought themselves a new stereo.

For those that say that I've only joined the forum to complain - then yes, you're correct. Isn't that the reason to have a forum, to voice opinion. If you don't like it then tough. If everyone had done their job properly I'd have no cause for complaint but someone somewhere didn't do what they were paid for.

We've complained to the O2 who say that there is little they can do and we are now taking it up with the promoter - "kennedy street enterprises".

kse@kennedystreet.com

Hello mate.

At last somebody else on here standing up for their rights and like me seeming less than impressed with the lack of support from the mainly brainwashed regulars on here.

I understand their worship, but not to the point that as soon as you raise issue with anything they seem to want to lay down their lives for the cause.

Bonkers lot they are, and boy did they give me some stick yesterday!

Let me know how you get on and I will certainly take it up with the promoters as well.

Good luck

Marshy.

QUOTE (marshy64 @ May 28 2011, 10:29 PM)

kse@kennedystreet.com

Hello mate.

At last somebody else on here standing up for their rights and like me seeming less than impressed with the lack of support from the mainly brainwashed regulars on here.

I understand their worship, but not to the point that as soon as you raise issue with anything they seem to want to lay down their lives for the cause.

Let me know how you get on and I will certainly take it up with the promoters as well.

Good luck

Marshy.

The reason people are getting pissed is because you're moaning to the wrong people. Yeah, you had a bad experience. We get that. But we can't do anything about it. Stop flogging the horse. I sympathise, hence why I said about the venue research and the rep the 02 has with ticket prices, but there's not alot else you can do by complaining here.

If you really want to stand up for your rights, and I mean actually stand up and not write a post on a forum, do what the other people are saying and e-mail the agencys and get something done. I'm all for better sounding venues, infact, I have a friend from uni who's chosen a career path in sound architechture so I've looked at stuff like that and it looks interesting to say the least. So push for that.

At the end of the day though, why should the 'brainwashed' members waste their time in campaigning for a cause they don't believe in? If they had a great experience why should they continually support you and condolingly pat you on the back? I personally didn't hear the sub-par sound at the gig so I can't comment on your issues, and thus, get behind you because what I heard sounded awesome.

... If you really want to stand up for your rights, and I mean actually stand up and not write a post on a forum...

Hang on, there is a case for kicking up a stink about an important issue on a forum such as this.

a. As pointed out, a given forum exists in in order to facilitate free-voice on any issue that pertains to the focus of that forum.

b. As others state reasonably on other threads in this forum: if you do not like the line a given thread takes, or the way it is developing, you can choose to ignore that thread.

c. People who have the ear of Al, Ged and Neil, and who scan this forum in order to get a slice of what is happening at the grass-roots, will have caught the stink people have raised here, and that can be (in my view) only for the good.

Going on my understanding of, say, Ged, I can imagine a conversation like this:

Guy who has Ged's ear: 'Ged, the O2 on the 25th: from what I'm reading on the Internet, the sound for the punters up in the higher levels sucked. It seems that the problem is partly architectural, but I get the feeling that the sound engineers managed to cock it up despite that.'

Ged: 'Shit!'

QUOTE (Undemanding Contact @ May 28 2011, 08:27 PM)
... If you really want to stand up for your rights, and I mean actually stand up and not write a post on a forum...

Hang on, there is a case for kicking up a stink about an important issue on a forum such as this.

a. As pointed out, a given forum exists in in order to facilitate free-voice on any issue that pertains to the focus of that forum.

b. As others state reasonably on other threads in this forum: if you do not like the line a given thread takes, or the way it is developing, you can choose to ignore that thread.

c. People who have the ear of Al, Ged and Neil, and who scan this forum in order to get a slice of what is happening at the grass-roots, will have caught the stink people have raised here, and that can be (in my view) only for the good.

Guy who has Ged's ear: 'Ged, the O2 on the 25th: from what I'm reading on the Internet, the sound for the punters up in the higher levels sucked. It seems that the problem is partly architectural, but I get the feeling that the sound engineers managed to cock it up despite that.'

As the man said.

The thread reads Disappointment at the O2!

All of us that got a bum deal and that list seems to be growing, are airing our disappointment!

Any members of the O2 happy brigade should look elsewhere or even start a thread about how great the sound was!

I'm sure the promoters and the O2 will love you forever.

As I said on another London link. There will come a time, maybe at the next Rush tour, especially if at the same venue, that many of you will get the crap sound treatment.

None of you dare complain because the word hypocrite would be ringing in your ears all the way home!!

By the way. Another theory of mine is...

Because the vast majority now listen to their favourite band via a heavily compressed audio file on an ipod or any other mp3 player the bad sound from the O2 would have sounded heavenly to most of these people!

Quality sound is lost on most people because they've never encountered it!!

That should get the tastebuds going again!!!!

Any takers?

Marshy. xxx

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 28 2011, 05:54 PM)
QUOTE (marshy64 @ May 28 2011, 10:29 PM)

kse@kennedystreet.com

Hello mate.

Good luck

Marshy.

The reason people are getting pissed is because you're moaning to the wrong people. Yeah, you had a bad experience. We get that. But we can't do anything about it. Stop flogging the horse. I sympathise, hence why I said about the venue research and the rep the 02 has with ticket prices, but there's not alot else you can do by complaining here.

If you really want to stand up for your rights, and I mean actually stand up and not write a post on a forum, do what the other people are saying and e-mail the agencys and get something done. I'm all for better sounding venues, infact, I have a friend from uni who's chosen a career path in sound architechture so I've looked at stuff like that and it looks interesting to say the least. So push for that.

At the end of the day though, why should the 'brainwashed' members waste their time in campaigning for a cause they don't believe in? If they had a great experience why should they continually support you and condolingly pat you on the back? I personally didn't hear the sub-par sound at the gig so I can't comment on your issues, and thus, get behind you because what I heard sounded awesome.

Mr Mandalorian Hunter

I am the sort of person who will bang on until I get some kind of feedback or an apology from somebody directly connected to the band.

If this forum's threads are as quoted by another user fed back to the band, some or any form of feedback would be nice.

If nothing comes. The feedback doesn't reach the right people or they just don't care!!

In 1986 I turned up at an Iron Maiden gig in Ipswich that got cancelled on the morning of the show due to Bruce having a throat infection.

The band knew that many of the fans not hearing the news would still turn up. So what did they do?

Steve Harris and Nikko attended the venue to personally apologise. They had bought tickets for London incase anybody wanted a swap rather than a refund. They then took everybody to the pub for a pint!!

Four days a later I received a tube in the post that contained a letter of apology and an autographed poster!!

They went out of their way big style!

I am by no means looking for the same from Rush. A comment of some description would suffice.

Will it come or have they already

RUN TO THE HILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marshy.

QUOTE (Undemanding Contact @ May 29 2011, 01:27 AM)

Surely though, working on the assumption that one of Rush's inner circle MIGHT make their way here, to this particular thread, is time-wasting when there are avenues that WILL make their way to Rush/Management.

Yes, the forum exists for the voicing of opinions related to the band and their shows, but the poster has made clear that he a/ wants something done about it and b/ wants more sympathy from other members. On the second point, if those members don't want to play ball surely they are within their 'rights' to be able to produce a counterpoint to a debate and continue engaging in said debate without being given the asisine comeback of 'If you don't like the content, don't look/post in here' (where would be the fun in a forum if topics only contained one side of everything).

I've tried to make sure whatever I've written hasn't been the childish name-calling and mud-slinging that was seen earlier in the thread, adding something that furthers the discussion and even though negative gives marshy pointers where he can go next - contribution, rather than feeling like I have to ignore it because a said few want to beat their drum and not let anyone else play. That is the whole point of a forum after all, isn't it? Everyone being able to contribute in their own way.

What I'm trying to say is, if the poster wants to get something done, while he could use this forum to do it there are different avenues that will probably get better results. It depends whether marshy is as proactive as he says he is, or whether he's pandering for the crowds attention.