02 London 25th May.

As Rush fans for 34 years now and having seen them 8 times in the UK from 1978 ( Farewell to Kings), Myself and my best mate, together with his son, who play in our own band, were really looking forward to the 02 gig last night, and especially Moving Pictures in its entirety.

However, both the vantage point (stage left mid way up) and acoustics made for a major disappointment!.

Yes the band as ever were as technically brilliant as ever musically, although the rapport with the audience left something to be desired. However, the bass drum hum overpowered all the subtleties especially during the 1st half. Neal's drums fills and the Ged's vocals were drowned out, and the Ged's bass guitar sounded muffled. ! It only slightly picked up in the 2nd half.

Having seen the band on the R30 show at wembley, the sound wasnt perfect but the atmosphere made up for it.

Alex was the only one who could shine through the muddy mix last night. The 1st half set list was inconsistent and begged for older material. You could sense the ambivalence in the arena to the S&A songs.

After playing 2112, and whipping thee crowd up, rather than keeping the momentum going, they slumped back into a track from the very average, S&A.

I also felt the use of the back projections were inconsistent, with some songs featuring some or no back projections.

With the quality of musician ship on show and having seen them in the '70's without the advance in technology we have today, where by the sound was brilliant....I felt cheated having to listent to such a poor sound in this day and age.

Having seen Porcupine Tree at the Indigo a couple of years ago, the sound and dynamics was perfect.

Such a great band as Rush and their sound engineers, should be able to adapt the sound for any venue, and surely it is not just me who was bitterly disappointed. ?

I will always be a Rush fan, and I have never felt the need to be so negative after a gig, and I do admire the guys for their energy and dedication throughout difficult times in recent years, but when you pay god knows how much to see them and having watched the recnet DVD's your expectations are hightened in a venue such as the 02 In future I will stick to the DVD's !..

Disappointed from Kent !!

Attached below are comments from my mate who also attended the 02 gig last night.

'Having been a fan of the band for 34 years and seen them live extensively over this period, the O2 gig was a massive dissapointment. This can be attributed to appalling sound management. The bass drum dominated everything and, together with the bass guitar caused a constant humming durge throughout almost the entire set. The second set was an improvemnt but for a band of this stature it's unacceptable. Geddy's vocals were lost most of the time and Neil's fills just failed to cut through. Alex was the only one who could be heard with any degree of clarity. The best quality of sound was when the movie played snippets of the songs! I was also dissapointed with the lack of audience rapport from Geddy. Come on man we've paid alot of money, show us some respect. Rush can't blame the acoustics of the venue, they have to be accountable. The set choice in the first half especially was perplexing. It's all very well for the band to play what they want but they must surely apply some judgement as to what works and what the audience wants. A Rush set normally builds momentum; it didn't work at all in this sense in my view. These views were shared by those folks around us and others we met on the way out. Sadly this is the last time I'll ever wish to see them live.'

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Gentle Giant @ May 26 2011, 09:13 PM)
I also felt the use of the back projections were inconsistent, with some songs featuring some or no back projections.

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!

Even Curmudgeonmeistergeneral Nickslikk2112 wouldn't moan about that!!!!!

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 26 2011, 04:19 PM)
Acoustics were perfect on the floor. I never buy tickets for the sides at these venues, sound always sucks.

That's true to an extent though I feel the side blocks closest to the stage do still have decent sound. That was certainly the case in block 112 last night. I can only imagine how poor it must have been in the upper tier.

It's not impossible to get excellent sound in arenas, the fact is that Brad Madix isn't up to the job. Almost seems like they don't soundcheck from the quality of sound in the opening numbers and they can't blame any issues on setting the sound for a support group either.

Having seen Rush and Roger Waters within 48 hours of each other at the M.E.N. Arena the difference in sound quality was staggering.

Hi Guys.

Couldn't agree more!

See my comments on pages 4 and 5 of the London Baby thread.

Glad i'm not the only one who feels completely shafted by a band like you, that i have supported and followed since 1978 (aged 14).

Why can't they forget the fireworks and the poxy screens and go back to a good few nights at the Hammy O, where everybody can see them, hear them clearly and most importantly feel connected to the band on the night!

I would say to the guys. You've made your money. Start putting your loyal fans first, not just the binocular wearing hanger hall brigade of today!

Regards

Marshy.

QUOTE (willowroolz @ May 27 2011, 08:34 AM)
London audiences may not stand up and rock out but they sure know how to complain. All those years you've been fans and you've only now managed to register here just to have a moan? Well done.

WELL SAID !

where i was, on the arena floor block B, the sound was perfect right from the off. far better than any rush show at wembley arena where it often takes several songs for the sound guy to sort out. i guess at any arena gig the sound will not be perfect everywhere, especially up at the sides which is why i always prefer to be on the arena floor. not sure how anyone can compare the main arena with the indigo2 venue next door as its a completely different kind of venue.

certainly everyone on the arena floor and up the sides on geddy's side of the stage were really getting into the music. lots of people i know noticed and commented on the lack of movement opposite on alex's side of the stage.

whether you like the set list is of course a personal issue. i thought it was great to hear songs not played for some time, ie: marathon, presto, time stands still in the first set. personally i was really happy with the songs played, the sound quality, the performance, the lighting and (very loud) fireworks, the screen, the new videos and how much fun the band still seem to be having playing live..

QUOTE (willowroolz @ May 27 2011, 03:34 AM)
London audiences may not stand up and rock out but they sure know how to complain. All those years you've been fans and you've only now managed to register here just to have a moan? Well done.

I am really sorry to upset you with my moaning.

You obviously deserve huge respect having posted over 670 comments in 4 whole years!

You must be a true fan to be on here every spare minute you have sharing interesting facts like what Geddy had for breakfast today!

I paid my money and am fully entitled to have a whinge if I encountered a shit experience.

When you finally leave your bedroom to encounter the outside world you may occassionaly find that something pisses you off!

Good luck in your quest to find out what brand of golf balls Alex uses and don't forget to share it with all the other hardcore drones on here!

Luv and respect

Marshy.

A Rush fan for 33 years. Sorry I don't live and breathe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (marshy64 @ May 27 2011, 10:00 AM)
QUOTE (willowroolz @ May 27 2011, 03:34 AM)
London audiences may not stand up and rock out but they sure know how to complain.  All those years you've been fans and you've only now managed to register here just to have a moan?  Well done.

I am really sorry to upset you with my moaning.

You obviously deserve huge respect having posted over 670 comments in 4 whole years!

You must be a true fan to be on here every spare minute you have sharing interesting facts like what Geddy had for breakfast today!

I paid my money and am fully entitled to have a whinge if I encountered a shit experience.

When you finally leave your bedroom to encounter the outside world you may occassionaly find that something pisses you off!

Good luck in your quest to find out what brand of golf balls Alex uses and don't forget to share it with all the other hardcore drones on here!

Luv and respect

Marshy.

A Rush fan for 33 years. Sorry I don't live and breathe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oooooooooh , Mr Grumpypants got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning wink.gif laugh.gif

This just appears that someone's fuming because they didn't really do their research about a venue properly before buying. I could be mistaken, and the actual details didn't come up before the transaction was completed (in which case, more fool you, marshy), but if you're going to be spending an obscene amount of money surely people look into where they're going to be sitting, how far away it is, what the sounds been like at previous gigs (you've said yourself, the internet is full of opinions - so use it!) etc etc. Certainly saves alot of hassle that way.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 27 2011, 06:39 AM)
This just appears that someone's fuming because they didn't really do their research about a venue properly before buying. I could be mistaken, and the actual details didn't come up before the transaction was completed (in which case, more fool you, marshy), but if you're going to be spending an obscene amount of money surely people look into where they're going to be sitting, how far away it is, what the sounds been like at previous gigs (you've said yourself, the internet is full of opinions - so use it!) etc etc. Certainly saves alot of hassle that way.

Hello chap.

I got my tickets through the sites emailed pre sale link. I gave the details to my mate who was day off and he ordered the tickets. Having never been to the venue before I guess we had faith in the band securing the best tickets for the fan pre-sale!

If we had waited 5 days until general sale we could have got tickets on the floor in one of the three front blocks.

Perhaps you would like to enlighten me as to why the band saw fit to sell the cheap nasty seats at inflated prices to their loyal followers who got in first!!!!!?

Hope you've got a good answer!?

Marshy. xx

It does seem that when someone comes on and gives a les than positive opinion (even in a dignfied way) it all starts to become rather personal rather than a healthy good mannered debate with everybody respecting everybodys opinion even if we don't agree with it scared.gif

QUOTE (marshy64)

Honest and truthful. YES!

honest is ok. truthful though? its not truth you are stating but your opinion. that's neither true or untrue as it is not a 'fact'. if that's how you feel fine but don't try and tell us its the 'truth' and don't expect everyone to agree with your opinion.

a bit of advice - next time you decide to by tickets to an arena show, try and remember the logistics of the sound in such a place. in my many years of gig going experience sound is always set up to be best in front of the stage. which is why i never by tickets for this kind of gig that are not on the floor itself. if you are anywhere else don't expect the sound to be good (although if you are lucky and it is that's a brucey bonus).

Edited by arctangent