London baby !!!!

hippy

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took 94 pics, though several were burst shots in groups of 6 over 2 seconds. I recon if I said I spent 10 minutes with my camera (it was on the floor the rest of the time), that'd be an overestimate.

10 minutes out of a 3 hour show is nothing, but yes, some people seemed to do nothing else.

So anyway people, what's the solution? Some people want to sit, and criticise those that stand, others (me included) want to rock out and can't understand those that sit. Some who stand want everyone to be still(ish), others want to "move wiv da groove". Short of 20,000 people holding a meeting to decide on appropriate behaviour beforehand, I don't know what's to be done?

Sound quality and consistency is another matter; at the prices we pay, we have a right to expect state of the art sound wherever we sit IMHO. Unfortunately the venues will sell tickets anyway, so couldn't care less; would anyone here really give up a chance to see Rush just because the sound might not be as it should be? Even if we did boycot the shows, the venues would just sell another Shit Factor or Take Shat night instead, and only we and the band would suffer.

F*ck, I've depressed myself now, even though I had a stunning time last night. Maybe it's just the thought that I'll probably not see Rush again for another couple of years that's getting to me sad.gif

QUOTE (Spiderdust @ May 26 2011, 07:12 PM)
QUOTE (willowroolz @ May 26 2011, 08:55 AM)
This isn't aimed at anyone here (I see some have posted photos!), but I get the feeling a lot of people are too busy looking at their camera/mobile phone screens to actually get involved.  I know a guy who was in the front row last night and I looked over at him a couple of times and there he was, staring at his camera whilst Geddy worked his ass off in front of him.  How can anyone really enjoy a gig like that?  I mean, seriously, if I wanted to see the guys on screen I'd just stay at home and watch a dvd  tongue.gif

But I get what people are saying - the two London shows on the last tour were awful for crowd reaction/atmosphere, and I can recall back as far as the Signals tour in 83 at Wembley being much the same.  I count myself lucky to have seen the band oop north and on foreign shores, where the atmosphere has been electric and I was worried about that aspect last night.

Fortunately, I count myself lucky to have been among a bunch of people who wanted to stand up and enjoy themselves - and we did!  trink39.gif

Edit: and crikey, I'm glad to be off 666 posts!  laugh.gif

I hope I wasn't one of those annoying people with a camera. wacko.gif I was in B3 on the floor but being a kinda-short female I barely saw anything all night and have a sore neck and back today from standing on my tippy-toes trying to see the stage all night! I took maybe a dozen 15-30 second video clips during the most awesome parts of the show, simply so I could actually SEE what was going on on my screen, as I could hold the camera at an angle that would get all the action in.

I wish the screens showed more of what was going on onstage, rather than bouncy ducks or whatever.

But I know what you mean about people and their cams... people are the same at the museums I have worked at... obsessed with taking pics of everything they see but never actually looking at what is right in front of them! Why would they rather see it (an artifact, Rush, whatever!) on a screen or at home when it was RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF THEM?!

I didn't notice ANY of the people in my eyeline rocking out, but the guys behind me yelling out "Geddy Leeeeeeee" several times after every song... new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

It was my first show AND I got to get a pic with Geddy and Alex before the show. I really hope it's not my last show!

laugh.gif No don't worry, I wasn't trying to say it was annoying, just that maybe a lot of people these days are so busy taking photos that they don't get more involved. I totally understand your situation, being vertically challenged myself. Like By-Tor's Best Buddy, we were in block 112 and were very lucky with those tickets.

Congrats on getting the photo with Al and the Gedster new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Kingstonlad @ May 26 2011, 02:57 PM)
Well said
I totally agree with you and regarding people leaving early ,it was a nightmare on the jubilee line last night and many people had to get to Waterloo for 11 oclock for the last train for some destinations.

I left after Far Cry for the same reason (although I had far less to travel than most of those people probably did) and decided to take a chance with the Jubilee line. Thankfully, there were no problems when I got on board a westbound train and arrived at Waterloo in about 15 minutes. I guess I was just lucky.

My views on crowd behaviour/participation are pretty straightforward. If you want to be on your feet during a show and rocking out, I have no problem with that as long as you aren't pissing off those around you. If you want to sit, that's fine too. Just because someone remains seated throughout a rock gig doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't enjoying the show. As long as you respect your fellow attendees in whatever way you want to experience the show, then everything's cool as far as I'm concerned.

Seemed liked the cellular operator place was rocking, animated and on fire(see youtube vids)..and few lucky in front and elsewhere out of 17-18k were even air drumming, singing and dancing, how they dared..! wink.gif

QUOTE (By-Tor's Best Buddy @ May 26 2011, 03:17 PM)
My views on crowd behaviour/participation are pretty straightforward. If you want to be on your feet during a show and rocking out, I have no problem with that as long as you aren't pissing off those around you. If you want to sit, that's fine too. Just because someone remains seated throughout a rock gig doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't enjoying the show. As long as you respect your fellow attendees in whatever way you want to experience the show, then everything's cool as far as I'm concerned.

My thoughts exactly!! Asi have said in other posts Gilby and I were at the lg arena. I had expected to have to stand but was surprised that alot of people were sitting. Both of us wanted to get up n boogie but didn't want to annoy those sitting behind us. I still had a brilliant time and in fact did stand to applaud the last song.

Personally, that was the best of the four concerts I've been to. Firstly, and the most important part, the band were on fire! I've never seen them that into a concert, improvising some parts and generally looking like they were having a blast. Secondly, the audience; rocking out when it called for it, but polite and considerate of whoever was sitting next to them. I was in A2 and EVERYBODY looked to be enjoying themselves whether standing or sitting. Also, I'd take a 'limp' southern audience anyday over having an idiotic, drunken Mancunian (this isn't aimed at anyone here, btw) screaming random things completely unrelated to the concert he's watching. On another sidenote, this audience didn't seem any different to the Newcastle audience around where I was sitting in '07. Give me a proper standing section and a decent enough pit and I'd jump away, but sometimes you have to go par for the course. I'd love a Muse-style rockout for 2112.

Anyway, I'm not particularly sure why a person's enjoyment of a show comes from what other people are doing; sitting, standing, rocking, nodding, drinking, not drinking etc etc. You've payed for YOUR ticket, look after yourself, enjoy yourself and don't give two-hoots about the rest. I had a 6'5 guy infront of me all night who did no moving whatsoever. Could've got annoyed with it, but why waste the energy getting stressed? I was still having a blast regardless.

Well when one person's enjoyment involves jumping on, molesting, threatening or generally mithering everyone else in the vicinity then you really can't ignore it.

My views on crowd behaviour/participation are pretty straightforward. If you want to be on your feet during a show and rocking out, I have no problem with that as long as you aren't pissing off those around you.

but there in lies the problem - if i want to be on my feet and the person behind me does not - then by that logic i have to bow to their opinion? - how is that fair? - that logic means the default position is everyone has to sit and i have to curtail my enjoyment based on your desire.

seated stage floor setups will always lead to this kind of conflict - i think they should not be done - tiered seating fine - but floor level should be standing

QUOTE (LyndseyG @ May 26 2011, 04:35 PM)

My thoughts exactly!! Asi have said in other posts Gilby and I were at the lg arena. I had expected to have to stand but was surprised that alot of people were sitting. Both of us wanted to get up n boogie but didn't want to annoy those sitting behind us. I still had a brilliant time and in fact did stand to applaud the last song.

Too true. I've had this problem about seated venues all my gigging life. I'm 6foot 3 and I don't want to spoil some one elses show by blocking their view. If the people behind stand then fair play, I'm up for it.

I do feel a bit weird about people pratting around with their mobiles during a gig. Ok, take a few snaps but to then sit there messaging their mates !!! WTF is that about?

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 26 2011, 09:45 PM)
Well when one person's enjoyment involves jumping on, molesting, threatening or generally mithering everyone else in the vicinity then you really can't ignore it.

Well yeah, that's a given. Didn't think I'd have to point that out.

But whether people are clapping or sitting?

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 26 2011, 11:21 PM)

Depends whether it's during new Rush or old Rush... rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 26 2011, 10:32 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 26 2011, 11:21 PM)

Depends whether it's during new Rush or old Rush... rofl3.gif

laugh.gif

Well, having started this thread on Wednesday as a "Hey, I'm gonna see Rush tonight in London, yay!!" type thing, its been interesting (almost scary) to see how its developed wacko.gif

Seen a lot of different opinions on a whole range of stuff, but we're all different and have different opinions, not necessarily right or wrong, but I guess thats what makes the world fun smile.gif

So, for what its worth (and I'm not out to offend anyone or anything like that - I'm just not that kind of person) here's my take on it.....

I've never been to the O2 before, what a stunning sight. The fact they've actually built a complete arena in what is basically a big tent is amazing. What a cool place (shops, bars, etc.) But, once I stuck my head in the arena I knew what kind of sound we'd get.

To be fair, I had expected that and was under no illusions. Wembley is a big shed, the O2 is a big bowl. Far too much concrete to ever get a good sound. But I've come to accept that with a band such as Rush, playing the size of venue they need to meet demand, we're always gonna be stuck with that (unless the festival dates materialize - here's hoping). I don't come to a gig like that expecting crystal clear sound and in a multi-purpose, host everything, enormo-dome like that, unless they give everyone head/earphones it ain't gonna happen (didn't Yes have "Concert-sonics" back in 1994 which was something very similar) . I know a couple of people have mentioned the comparison with the Roger Waters show a couple of weeks earlier. From my point of view, the dynamics of the music involved are completely different. Love The Wall as I do, its so much more subtle that a Rush set. I can imaging that hearing every detail of "Goodbye Cruel World" would have been special. As a PF fan as well I'm also aware that it can get a bit raucous at times, but not in the same league as Rush. Then again, I saw adverts for Iron Maiden in August at the O2. Would there be any point in going? That really is gonna be a wall of noise. It would be nice to return to the "classic" venues like Hammersmith, its just not possible. I guess its our fault for making them so popular wink.gif However, I thought the sound was pretty good considering the venue. I commented to my friend how clear Neils high toms were. Also, unless the bass drum is actually trying to push your heart through your back, it just ain't a proper "big" gig smile.gif I do love any gig where the drums kick in on the first number and it just literally makes you step back. Everything else was cool. I to noticed a few changes in balance as we went through the night, but thats to be expected (and I thought soundmen just turned up and switched it all on wink.gif )

On the standing/sitting/rocking out points, its horses for courses and respect for all your fellow concert go-ers. I sat for the evening (and before anyone asks, I wasn't in block 101). The reason, I'm 6' 4'' and about 17 stone (thats about 240 pounds for our friends across the pond). I make a good sight screen. As we approached kick off I looked around to see who was behind me. There was an older couple (to be honest, older than I expected to see at a Rush gig, but credit to them) and there was no way they were getting up. So I sat. No problems from me, I can rock out in my seat (am surprised the seat was still attached given my dimensions and the rocking I did). There was a guy across from me who was sat down air drumming all night (although to be fair he may have thought he was actually sitting on Neils drum stool). On the R30 tour @ Wembley, I stood. Was worried at first as I turned round and there was a 12 year old with his Dad so I thought that was it. But the kid got on his seat. He could see past me, the people behind him could see past him, all was good. I do sort of understand the perspective that you've paid your money, you should be able to enjoy it how you want to, but at the expense of other peoples enjoyment? I don't believe thats how its works. I know some people had to put up with to**ers who were only concerned about how they themselves were enjoying it. That is wrong. I've seen people thrown out of gigs for "enjoying" themselves a bit too much and spoiling it for everyone else. One big caveat is that if someone is being obviously annoying about behavior that so isn't upsetting anyone else, that that is a different matter. I'm sure there must be a nasty special place for people like that. As many people have said, it is a rock concert for goodness sake.

As for the prices, yeah its expensive but isn't everything going up these days (don't get me started on fuel !!!). To me, its a treat. I don't get to see many gigs and the opportunity to see my favorite band can't be missed. Plus, I got a t-shirt, tour book and I even bought the Caravan/BU2B cd (even though I downloaded the tracks, its actually nice to have a physical copy). People go on holiday and as its a special occasion, they treat themselves to something they wouldn't normally buy. I'm sure some people in the world blow a lot more money on some absolutely stupid things, worse that a t-shirt and tour book. So call me a mug, but this was my special occasion and these were gifts to myself (please don't tell the wife wink.gif ).

I was happy with the set list as well. I was one of the guys who posted that he was glad they didn't change it for this leg. I wanted to hear Presto, Time Stand Still and hey, even Faithless (the more different songs I get to hear Rush play the better). The only one I had the slightest reservations about before the show was Stick It Out. But my word (I sound very British there) it blew me away, almost literally. My trousers were flaping on some chords/notes. Wow!!

So to draw my ramble to a close, I had a great night, and I'll do it again if/when they come back. I think it depends on each persons expectations, as said everyone is different (see opening comments). I knew it was expensive (and I had a cheaper ticket than the guys/gals on the floor at the front) and that the merchandise was gonna be a bit steep (but as said this was my treat). I knew the setlist and was so looking forward to it and I knew that in an arena that size the sound wasn't gonna be perfect.

Fantastic night!! Gutted for those that had a rough time, pleased for those who enjoyed it like me.

London baby, yeah !!!!

QUOTE (Loz @ May 26 2011, 07:30 AM)
Afternoon all.

Went to London gig last night and was as one would expect chuffed to see Rush at last (had to make do with 'Exit Stage Left' for the last 30 years!) Was sent on level 4 at the side and felt the sound was amongst the worst i had experienced in 30 years of going to concerts. Moved around to block 410 - roughly facing mid stage, for the second set. A bit of an improvement, but only a bit! I felt it was all very muddy sounding. The drums sounded somewhat 'boomy', lacking clarity. Hey i'm not expecting CD clarity but........
Any thoughts at all?
By the way did the band choose the music before coming on stage?

Totally agree about the sound at the02...absolutley ruined the gig for me, and having seen Rush 8 times since 1978 this was the worst.....

they played there asses off...but the sound sucked !

see my post on o2 London - Disappointment.

QUOTE (hippy @ May 27 2011, 04:31 PM)
Well, having started this thread on Wednesday as a "Hey, I'm gonna see Rush tonight in London, yay!!" type thing, its been interesting (almost scary) to see how its developed wacko.gif

Seen a lot of different opinions on a whole range of stuff, but we're all different and have different opinions, not necessarily right or wrong, but I guess thats what makes the world fun smile.gif

So, for what its worth (and I'm not out to offend anyone or anything like that - I'm just not that kind of person) here's my take on it.....

I've never been to the O2 before, what a stunning sight. The fact they've actually built a complete arena in what is basically a big tent is amazing. What a cool place (shops, bars, etc.) But, once I stuck my head in the arena I knew what kind of sound we'd get.

To be fair, I had expected that and was under no illusions. Wembley is a big shed, the O2 is a big bowl. Far too much concrete to ever get a good sound. But I've come to accept that with a band such as Rush, playing the size of venue they need to meet demand, we're always gonna be stuck with that (unless the festival dates materialize - here's hoping). I don't come to a gig like that expecting crystal clear sound and in a multi-purpose, host everything, enormo-dome like that, unless they give everyone head/earphones it ain't gonna happen (didn't Yes have "Concert-sonics" back in 1994 which was something very similar) . I know a couple of people have mentioned the comparison with the Roger Waters show a couple of weeks earlier. From my point of view, the dynamics of the music involved are completely different. Love The Wall as I do, its so much more subtle that a Rush set. I can imaging that hearing every detail of "Goodbye Cruel World" would have been special. As a PF fan as well I'm also aware that it can get a bit raucous at times, but not in the same league as Rush. Then again, I saw adverts for Iron Maiden in August at the O2. Would there be any point in going? That really is gonna be a wall of noise. It would be nice to return to the "classic" venues like Hammersmith, its just not possible. I guess its our fault for making them so popular wink.gif However, I thought the sound was pretty good considering the venue. I commented to my friend how clear Neils high toms were. Also, unless the bass drum is actually trying to push your heart through your back, it just ain't a proper "big" gig smile.gif I do love any gig where the drums kick in on the first number and it just literally makes you step back. Everything else was cool. I to noticed a few changes in balance as we went through the night, but thats to be expected (and I thought soundmen just turned up and switched it all on wink.gif )

On the standing/sitting/rocking out points, its horses for courses and respect for all your fellow concert go-ers. I sat for the evening (and before anyone asks, I wasn't in block 101). The reason, I'm 6' 4'' and about 17 stone (thats about 240 pounds for our friends across the pond). I make a good sight screen. As we approached kick off I looked around to see who was behind me. There was an older couple (to be honest, older than I expected to see at a Rush gig, but credit to them) and there was no way they were getting up. So I sat. No problems from me, I can rock out in my seat (am surprised the seat was still attached given my dimensions and the rocking I did). There was a guy across from me who was sat down air drumming all night (although to be fair he may have thought he was actually sitting on Neils drum stool). On the R30 tour @ Wembley, I stood. Was worried at first as I turned round and there was a 12 year old with his Dad so I thought that was it. But the kid got on his seat. He could see past me, the people behind him could see past him, all was good. I do sort of understand the perspective that you've paid your money, you should be able to enjoy it how you want to, but at the expense of other peoples enjoyment? I don't believe thats how its works. I know some people had to put up with to**ers who were only concerned about how they themselves were enjoying it. That is wrong. I've seen people thrown out of gigs for "enjoying" themselves a bit too much and spoiling it for everyone else. One big caveat is that if someone is being obviously annoying about behavior that so isn't upsetting anyone else, that that is a different matter. I'm sure there must be a nasty special place for people like that. As many people have said, it is a rock concert for goodness sake.

As for the prices, yeah its expensive but isn't everything going up these days (don't get me started on fuel !!!). To me, its a treat. I don't get to see many gigs and the opportunity to see my favorite band can't be missed. Plus, I got a t-shirt, tour book and I even bought the Caravan/BU2B cd (even though I downloaded the tracks, its actually nice to have a physical copy). People go on holiday and as its a special occasion, they treat themselves to something they wouldn't normally buy. I'm sure some people in the world blow a lot more money on some absolutely stupid things, worse that a t-shirt and tour book. So call me a mug, but this was my special occasion and these were gifts to myself (please don't tell the wife wink.gif ).

I was happy with the set list as well. I was one of the guys who posted that he was glad they didn't change it for this leg. I wanted to hear Presto, Time Stand Still and hey, even Faithless (the more different songs I get to hear Rush play the better). The only one I had the slightest reservations about before the show was Stick It Out. But my word (I sound very British there) it blew me away, almost literally. My trousers were flaping on some chords/notes. Wow!!

So to draw my ramble to a close, I had a great night, and I'll do it again if/when they come back. I think it depends on each persons expectations, as said everyone is different (see opening comments). I knew it was expensive (and I had a cheaper ticket than the guys/gals on the floor at the front) and that the merchandise was gonna be a bit steep (but as said this was my treat). I knew the setlist and was so looking forward to it and I knew that in an arena that size the sound wasn't gonna be perfect.

Fantastic night!! Gutted for those that had a rough time, pleased for those who enjoyed it like me.

London baby, yeah !!!!

goodpost.gif

I had a great time and the band were the best I've seen them so far.

Plus the 02 was near as dammit full so I'm sure they'll come back. wink.gif

They seemed to be enjoying themselves onstage anyway, which is so nice to see!

2.gif 1022.gif

Basically the conclusion here appears to be that the guy at the back of any block controls what everyone else must do. If he wants to sit, everyone else must sit. If he stands, the control passes to the guy in front of him, and so on until we get to someone who wants to sit.

How is that right? At the opera, fine, because the expected behaviour is to sit quietly, but at a rock concert the expected behaviour as far as I remember from 30 years of going to the things is to stand and move about. Not so as to hurt anyone, but not inanimate either.

I don't want to upset anyone any more than anyone else does, and don't have a problem with people sitting if that's their preference, though it'd make for a pretty naff rock concert if everyone did it, but sitting at a rock show is as much of a limitation to me now as it was when I was 17, and is as bad for me as having your view blocked by someone tall is for others. If I want to stand and you want to sit, why, by default, is it me who has to give in?

To my mind it's all about the expected experience. If you prefer to sit, you might get lucky and find that those in front of you do too, but if it's going to upset you if they don't, then you're in the wrong place (either at a seating or event level) because you're trying to force others to modify their behaviour away from what's expected.

So, what's to do? Standing only and sitting only areas? Standing and sitting nights? Venues constructed so you can sit and see no matter what others are doing? Unallocated seating so you can go wherever suits you in the venue?

Re sound, I don't accept that at these prices the venues have any excuse. The technology exists to give good sound all around, and if a venue can't do so, they shouldn't be hosting such events. At the very least they should be advertising certain seats as "compromised sound quality", and reducing the price, just like they advertise "compromised view" seats.

In practice I don't know what the answer is, but don't feel that "pay up and shut up" is it.

Hello Rushkateers!!!!!!!

I too was at the O2 the other night and and a great time. I MUCH prefer it over Wembley Arena.

I'm suprised to hear that some were finding the sound at the O2 worse than Wembley Arena. When I saw Rush at Wembley for the last 2 tours the sound was sh-ock-ing. It was so bad that despite knowing Rush's music better than any other I could barely work out what song they were playing. I know quite a few fans walked out of that show and the Rush Newbie I was with on the night was bedazzled by how bad the sound was.

At the O2 this time round, I was in a few places over the course of the evening. We were up front in the lower tier on Geddy's side for the first half. It was fabulous, a great crowd, and a few empty seats which gave us enough space to boogie and good sound.

For the beginning of the second hald we were directly opposte the stage in the upper tier. There's no doubt it was a much different experience there. When I saw the show in Birmingham I wondered if Rush's show was big enough for the O2, and, frankly, it wasn't.

From close up, it was a cracker. In the upper tier near the back the show felt small and I felt disconnected. I've was even further back for Prince and didn't have that sensation...

We moved round to a great place in the upper tier where there were quite a few empty seats so we could rock out without annoying anyone 1022.gif 1022.gif

The sound was good in the places I was, but not super good. As others have mentioned, Roger Waters the week before had impecable sound.

Love to all

Disco

Love the show and the set-list!!

The big surprise for me of the night was Faithless, which was one of the few skippers on the album for me. Live I loved the chorus, I found very moving and powerful.

And how good's BU2B? Huge!!! Full of great grinding grooves and an emotional anger. Sometimes i can find Mr P's lyrics a little cold, but these are intelligent with real emotional bite.

The whole athiest anthem section I found wonderful. I'd seen Roger Waters show the week before - wow, it was impressive - but, but, but, it was a lot of grand political posturing without much depth. The athiest anthem section of Rush's show had much more depth to it than Roger's circus.

Cracking versions of Leave That Thing Alone, and the solo of marathon k-i-l-l-e-r!!!!

Love

Disco