UK Attendance?

It seems like the crowds at the UK shows have been comparatively small, at least that what I've been able to glean from posts here. Did their management over-estimate the demand? Are 1 Scotland and 5 England shows too many? Does anyone have actual numbers (attendance vs. capacity)?

On the positive side, based on reviews posted here, the smaller crowds and half-filled arenas don't appear to have diminished the band's enthusiasm and ability to deliver the best rock show money can buy!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hall 4 in the SECC, Glasgow is 12,500 seated capacity. It was almost full for the gig. I wouldn't call that small.The only one I've read about as having lower capacity is Sheffield. Excuse us for having 6 gigs in country that usually sees 1 out of 3 of their tours!

I'm sure the band are making money out of their UK/European visit.

I'm also sure they're fans are enjoying the shows, and by all accounts, the band members are too.

Sell out or partially filled arenas ? Lets be happy they are still able and willing to cross the pond.

I do remember on Roll The Bones tour in 92 they ad do an extra night at the nec ( altho it was curtained off at the back tha night ) and im sure they added a extra night at wembley makeing it 3, never managed to go there. Look at Geddy`s face tho on this tour, he just loves it even tho the venues aint totally full. Im sure they aint 100% counting just on the money biggrin.gif , the 3 ov them i think just want to give us shows as a thankyou for supporting them as im sure they no at least 80% ov us av been true fans for long time 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Derv @ May 20 2011, 03:43 PM)
I'm sure the band are making money out of their UK/European visit.

I'm also sure they're fans are enjoying the shows, and by all accounts, the band members are too.

Sell out or partially filled arenas ? Lets be happy they are still able and willing to cross the pond.

Neil said in his blog that they needed to do the 13 shows before Europe to make the second leg profitable. He wanted to spend the summer with his new daughter, hence the early US leg. I'm sure there are a certain number of shows required to break even.

First and foremost I think that it's brilliant that we are still able to see Rush perform live. I've seen them on every UK tour since Signals and can't wait until Birmingham on the 22nd (if the world is going end let it be after Rush).

This time, however, my three Rush buddies and I are only seeing them once. Previous tours have seen us attend two shows. Pricing has been a factor in this decision. It's not just the tickets, but the travel also. I wonder how many other fans, who might have gone to two or three shows, are cutting back.

It was certainly a factor for me this time, particularly with the Waters tour & other gigs so close together (I've seen four gigs in less than a fortnight).

However, I'm pleased that I got the chance to see them at least once on the tour so that's good enough this time.

These are tough times, people are feeing the pinch, losing their jobs, etc. Rush still sem to be pulling respectable crowds despite all that.

QUOTE (Harperspace @ May 21 2011, 09:28 AM)
It was certainly a factor for me this time, particularly with the Waters tour & other gigs so close together (I've seen four gigs in less than a fortnight).

However, I'm pleased that I got the chance to see them at least once on the tour so that's good enough this time.

These are tough times, people are feeing the pinch, losing their jobs, etc. Rush still sem to be pulling respectable crowds despite all that.

Peoples available spend is shot to pieces with the recession here and the UK, coupled with exorbitant ticket prices, I still say the crowds they've been getting are incredible.

My one bugbear is the booking charge in the UK, it's practically 10% extra! Lunacy. Still caveat emptor and all that. I still bought the f*ckers, and I'm still smiling!

QUOTE (Jacob S Ladder @ May 21 2011, 07:52 AM)
First and foremost I think that it's brilliant that we are still able to see Rush perform live.  I've seen them on every UK tour since Signals and can't wait until Birmingham on the 22nd (if the world is going end let it be after Rush).

This time, however, my three Rush buddies and I are only seeing them once.  Previous tours have seen us attend two shows.  Pricing has been a factor in this decision.  It's not just the tickets, but the travel also.  I wonder how many other fans, who might have gone to two or three shows, are cutting back.

I am also attending the show on the 22nd.

For the first time since the Signals tour, it will be the only show I attend on this tour, for exactly the reasons you mention.

QUOTE (Jacob S Ladder @ May 21 2011, 02:52 AM)
First and foremost I think that it's brilliant that we are still able to see Rush perform live. I've seen them on every UK tour since Signals and can't wait until Birmingham on the 22nd (if the world is going end let it be after Rush).

This time, however, my three Rush buddies and I are only seeing them once. Previous tours have seen us attend two shows. Pricing has been a factor in this decision. It's not just the tickets, but the travel also. I wonder how many other fans, who might have gone to two or three shows, are cutting back.

Ive seen them every tour since Signals in 83 too biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Im doing three again on this tour, dont mind the ticket price as its well worth it but it does become expensive with the price ov petrol too

QUOTE (FoxxiStarr @ May 20 2011, 06:22 PM)
Hall 4 in the SECC, Glasgow is 12,500 seated capacity. It was almost full for the gig. I wouldn't call that small.The only one I've read about as having lower capacity is Sheffield. Excuse us for having 6 gigs in country that usually sees 1 out of 3 of their tours!

The only sections that had loads empty seats were A & B... especially B which only had a handful of people in it. There may have been the odd empty seat here and there, but apart from aforementioned sections, the place was pretty full.

QUOTE (Goldpartridge @ May 21 2011, 12:49 PM)
QUOTE (Jacob S Ladder @ May 21 2011, 02:52 AM)
First and foremost I think that it's brilliant that we are still able to see Rush perform live.  I've seen them on every UK tour since Signals and can't wait until Birmingham on the 22nd (if the world is going end let it be after Rush).

This time, however, my three Rush buddies and I are only seeing them once.  Previous tours have seen us attend two shows.  Pricing has been a factor in this decision.  It's not just the tickets, but the travel also.  I wonder how many other fans, who might have gone to two or three shows, are cutting back.

Ive seen them every tour since Signals in 83 too biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Im doing three again on this tour, dont mind the ticket price as its well worth it but it does become expensive with the price ov petrol too

Another one here who's been going since the 83 tour smile.gif

I'm doing three shows this tour. Would've been five, but I ducked out of Sheffield to go see Riverside instead, and we had tickets, flights and hotel booked for Boston last year until my friend suffered a back injury and was unable to travel.

Ticket prices, travel and accommodation are starting to get excessive, though. I won't be buying much merchandise this time. Last tour I bought loads, this time I'll get just the one t-shirt and maybe a tourbook.

Just the Dublin gig for me,twas toss up between another show in the Uk or Maiden in Belfast in August.......Maiden won sadly,no travel costs involved

i am with you on number of gigs in england - i think there were too many on this tour - in my opinion they are still planning tours in the uk based on what they used to do back in the day when they were playing to 3000 seater venues.

After nearly 40 years I think they're doing just fine. I hardly believe that Lady Gaga will be selling out in the year 2025! I can only think of a few bands that draw as well as Rush at this point in their career.

U2 is playing 75,000 seat stadiums and the Stones still command a huge audience. One step down from that is AC/DC. Than Rush and the handful of nostalgia bands that still book well--Def Lep, Iron Maiden etc.

Glasgow was 99% sold out. Only space was at the far sides as likely restricted view of side of stage. Those seats ought be half price to sell.

I would do more than one show, but ticket prices are prohibitive.

Never changing set list a factor also.

On plus side, encouraged by how many kids at Glasgow show. Alot of 10, 12, 14 year olds grooving.

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 21 2011, 10:17 PM)
Maiden are still releasing albums, so they are hardly a nostalgia band.

With the quality of all their releases since Signals, Rush ought to concentrate on being a nostalgia band...

Maiden Tickets are waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy cheaper than Rush tickets, Maiden are managed by a Yorkshireman too confused13.gif