Manchester! 19-05-11

laztozia

Reading redshifts take on the gig, I can imagine the sound was more or less the same as sheffield.

I think there's an issue with Geddys sound actually. IMO he's got far too much bottom end nowadays, especially now he plays alot of chords. The whole sound just goes into a mish mash of noise!

QUOTE (owlman @ May 20 2011, 01:11 PM)
Reading redshifts take on the gig, I can imagine the sound was more or less the same as sheffield.

I think there's an issue with Geddys sound actually. IMO he's got far too much bottom end nowadays, especially now he plays alot of chords. The whole sound just goes into a mish mash of noise!

No it was better than Sheffield...

1022.gif

QUOTE (owlman @ May 20 2011, 01:11 PM)

I think you've hit the nail on the head there owlman. A 'mish mash of noise' is a good description of what I felt it sounded like and it may well be the playing of chords that's doing it.

I really don't like criticising the guys. After all we went for 12 years without a tour but I'd sacrifice a bit of the visuals for better sound any day. I know that's comparing chalk and cheese but i think you'll know what I mean.

My wife and I went - what a brilliant night!

I'm 39 and been into 'em ever since hearing "Hold Your Fire" - this is the first time I'd seen them though and was made up!!!

The "History" vids were very good too - and as we were sat in the 'nosebleeds' the screen was a big help - particularly for seeing the solo stuff!

By the way - I took some vid. footage - available here... Tom Sawyer, YYZ and an except from Freewill.

Vids - click Here.

I'm still buzzing from it - bassline from YYZ won't go out of my head!

biggrin.gif

Re Security at MEN - they insisted my 9 year old could not stand on the seat when everyone infront was standing up. They wouldnt let me and him move to empty (and cheaper) seats either! Arses. So we moved to where they couldnt get us. Arses. But i refused to let an arse ruin our night.

Re Sound - Good but sub bass was silly loud and every Alex solo drowned the rest out.

Re the visuals - loved every minute

Re the songs - As my son said: "That was Brilliant!"

Thanks boys

very enjoyable show. the time seemed to fly by. audience seemed well up for it and the band seemed to be really enjoying themselves.

No issues with the sound where i was in block b

anybody know what happened to the guy taken out by the medics on a stretcher during the interval

QUOTE (logo5961 @ May 20 2011, 09:03 PM)
very enjoyable show. the time seemed to fly by. audience seemed well up for it and the band seemed to be really enjoying themselves.

No issues with the sound where i was in block b

anybody know what happened to the guy taken out by the medics on a stretcher during the interval

About to ask that. He was sat behind me. Hope he's ok.

Seeing as it was my first Rush show, so I have absolutely nothing to compare it to in terms of performance, I'll share my crazed jabberings anyway:

There definitely seemed to be a shift in the sound quality in the first and second halves of the show - in the first half, the sound was somewhat muddy (and still was in the more recent songs in the second half, such as Far Cry and Caravan), but it was fantastic for the second half - it was almost like they flipped up a gear.

The songs in the first half of the set were somewhat of a mixed bag, and felt a teensy bit flat. It was awesome that they opened with TSoR, but after Presto, the songs dragged slightly until Freewill, Marathon and Subdivisions, with Time Stand Still and Faithless sounding a bit lacklustre (I have to admit I never really 'got' Faithless as a song, but I've always really liked Time Stand Still, so to hear it played so foggily was slightly disheartening).

Don't get me wrong, the songs were still a great deal fun, and I love them all, but they seemed to lack a small amount of fizz - I'm not sure whether it was the acoustics of the MEN, but they just seemed to be missing that little bit of 'oomph' - I think with the right balance, they would have all been awesome. (Or maybe they could just replace the songs between Presto and Freewill with tracks off PeW and the unrepresented P/G - that also works for me tongue.gif)

The second half, however, was perfect in terms of song choices (in my eyes at least), and the drum solo blew me away; I'm still having trouble convincing myself that it actually happened. As I've already mentioned, Far Cry and Caravan sounded a little shaky, despite being excellent songs, but that aside, 2112 Overture/ToS, the Moving Pictures album and Closer to the Heart were sensational, with LVS and Working Man as the finale being up to the same standard.

It seemed to be the case that the more recent the song, the more likely it was to sound unbalanced. It felt at certain points like Alex's guitar was overpowering everything, and at others, Geddy's bass was omnipresent (particularly for certain chords, although it was thunderously enjoyable for Witch Hunt), and Caravan/BU2B barely sounded like the originals. However, Neil's drumming always seemed to be spot on soundwise, and he was actually caught on the big screen smiling at the end of his solo (something I don't think I've seen before in footage tongue.gif)

Also, did anyone else notice that even though they were miles away from the stage, they were still getting hit by the heat of the pyrotechnics? The lighting was mesmeric and the skits in between songs were pretty funny, including "Slappin' da bass" after the encore; I didn't realise the guys could act so well.

The show aside, I have to say the yellowcoats irritated me as well, with one woman sending me from block 104 (as was on the ticket I showed to her) to block 110, only for me to be sent back to block 104 and this time being let in without any explanation given for the detour.

However, I'd definitely pay to see that show again, and would quite happily sell body parts to do so. tongue.gif More than worth the 12 hours it took to travel up from the South coast to see them.

EDIT: Spelling and Grammar

Edited by battlescar

The intro was amazing and was something to be seen. Yes I did think they had a sound problem in the first half , but the second set was amazing.

Moving pictures was awesome throughout and I could have watched it again. Then the drum solo ariives and the prof puts on an amazing show. I think this was was not as good as some of the others I have seen in the past.

But again Rush prove again they are the masters of the live show.

Eyns

Tsvey

Dray

Dupa!!

That was my 18th Rush show and, for me, it was top three in terms of performance, sound and atmosphere. The only thing that would stop it being top would be a couple of songs I'm not keen on, but that's just a personal thing. We were down near the front (8th row, block B ), had a great view. Thought Alex was on fire throughout. Had tears in my eyes during a couple of his solos. Sang every word, cheered, clapped, punched the air and thought it was generally the awesomest of awesomeness. Hoping my voice will return in time for tomorrow biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Redshift @ May 20 2011, 11:53 AM)
QUOTE (laztozia @ May 20 2011, 07:18 AM)
QUOTE (owlman @ May 20 2011, 05:51 AM)
Good to hear you enjoyed it. Sheffield was my first rush gig for over 30 years, can't believe why I left it so long, they're so good live!

What was Geddys sound like? On monday his bass was very muffled & boomy.

Geddy's bass sound was superb. Very clear. There were times throughout the set in which I thought I was listening to a CD. Absolutely brilliant.

Out of interest, where were you?

I was on the right hand side, 113, block M. I do admit the sound was less clear throughout the first set. 'CD mode' kicked in with Tom Sawyer.

Geddy's voice was a bit hit and miss but I think that's probably due to the amount of time they've been on tour. He can't be expected to hit the high notes the way he used to!

I also agree with some of the comments with regards to set pacing. Either way, I can't really complain... I saw ALL of Moving Pictures!

So pleased they played Marathon too, Power Windows is my favourite Rush album.

I was in block B about 10 rows back and I agree the first set did start a bit shakily but didn't spoil it for me each venue has its own perculiralities. This was all sorted by the 2nd set and Rush took us all on a time trip. I saw them at the MEN for the R30 show and the stage looked bigger for that tour. This time the set up reminded me of a post card or picture it just looked so framed. The lighting rig came to life like a f***ing transformer. Neil's drum solo included sounds which I am sure we will hear on the new album. Got back to the hotel after an amazing show with my two best bud's got talking to some real live Rush chicks (Two very nice young ladies from Leeds) and all in all had a great experience.

Thanks Rush for still being alive, still making great music and sharing your talents with us lesser mortals tongue.gif

We were at Dublin, Manchester and Newcastle and imo the gigs improved as we went along. Not sure whether that was because our seats improved in that order, or because we were able to stand in the tiered seating at Newcastle, or whether the guys were just better at Newcastle. Certainly there were more smiles from Neil and they really seemed to be enjoying themselves. I thought the sound was better than Dublin and can't really fault Geddy's singing. Sure there were a couple of sticky moments with the high notes but he sang the high bit in Freewill brilliantly.

Maybe I'm insufficiently critical but I thought the set worked. It seemed to me that the themes were time and faith book-ended with a couple of the obligatory standards. I have no complaints. (Apart from about the hotel which was horrific).

I now have the entire catalogue playing on random in my brain. Today I have

mostly been hearing 2112 with a bit of Farewell to Kings. smile.gif

Hi,

I've been reading Rush forum for some years now and a Rush fan for around 30 yrs! biggrin.gif

This was my 3rd time of seeing the band and as stated in other posts here I also feel the first half sound quality wasn't so good, I also feel the song selection didn't flow quite so well either, however that's a personal opinion.

Other than posting to say thanks to the guys for playing Manchester, I also want to say how good the yellow coats/security are as far as I am concerned.

I am in a wheelchair so am restricted to where I can sit, unfortunately this means I am unable to go to the front and must always sit up in the gods angry.gif

Now I don't mind people enjoying themselves and having a trink39.gif or 5 lol, but what happens is people who have a seat part way down stairs or on the ground decide to stand around where the disabled are sitting (no problem so far ), then they decide to stand on the stairs blocking my already restricted view, or to start talking in front/behind me taking away my pleasure of the concert.

Due to this myself/wife ask the security staff if they can ask these people to return to their seats, most people do so without any problems, but for some reason there were a number of people who decided to abuse the staff calling them "nazi's" and chanting "zieg heil".

At one point there were 6 security staff due to the number of "idiots" who were playing up, this while the second half of the show was in full flow!

Sorry if this seems a rant I just felt I should at least say something positive for the security team who, in my eyes, did a controlled and calm job under provocation.

Anyway, hope the guys finish the new record soon and come back to Manchester so I can see them another time and watch Geddy slap that bass!!!

Jeff

QUOTE (owlman @ May 20 2011, 05:51 AM)
Good to hear you enjoyed it. Sheffield was my first rush gig for over 30 years, can't believe why I left it so long, they're so good live!

What was Geddys sound like? On monday his bass was very muffled & boomy.

i went to sheffield, manchester and birmingham. The sound in sheffield left a lot be desired. i doubt ill go there again despite it being close to home.

manchester was excellent, sound much better.

birmingham sound was somewhere between the two but i still enjoyed all 3 shows.

the band were really into it on every show, thought i might not bother seeing them again due to ticket prices but once they started it was a different story. The setlist was a dream for me, only Colour of right, Emotion detector and Kid gloves could have improved it for me.

QUOTE (Jeff_RushFan @ May 24 2011, 03:45 PM)
Hi,

I've been reading Rush forum for some years now and a Rush fan for around 30 yrs! biggrin.gif

This was my 3rd time of seeing the band and as stated in other posts here I also feel the first half sound quality wasn't so good, I also feel the song selection didn't flow quite so well either, however that's a personal opinion.

Other than posting to say thanks to the guys for playing Manchester, I also want to say how good the yellow coats/security are as far as I am concerned.

I am in a wheelchair so am restricted to where I can sit, unfortunately this means I am unable to go to the front and must always sit up in the gods angry.gif

Now I don't mind people enjoying themselves and having a trink39.gif or 5 lol, but what happens is people who have a seat part way down stairs or on the ground decide to stand around where the disabled are sitting (no problem so far ), then they decide to stand on the stairs blocking my already restricted view, or to start talking in front/behind me taking away my pleasure of the concert.

Due to this myself/wife ask the security staff if they can ask these people to return to their seats, most people do so without any problems, but for some reason there were a number of people who decided to abuse the staff calling them "nazi's" and chanting "zieg heil".

At one point there were 6 security staff due to the number of "idiots" who were playing up, this while the second half of the show was in full flow!

Sorry if this seems a rant I just felt I should at least say something positive for the security team who, in my eyes, did a controlled and calm job under provocation.

Anyway, hope the guys finish the new record soon and come back to Manchester so I can see them another time and watch Geddy slap that bass!!!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, i was at that show and thought it was awesome. That said its very disappointing that fellow RUSH fans didnt give you some respect.

Never mind, Clockwork angels tour next year (or the year after knowing RUSH!) then you (and i) can hopefully enjoy them again.

\,,/