Manchester! 19-05-11

laztozia

Who was at the Manchester show last night?

It was my first Rush show after a 27 year wait and boy was it worth it! Superb light and sound, and an excellent variety of songs. Can't wait for the new album.

Moving Pictures was an absolute joy, phenomenal.

Good to hear you enjoyed it. Sheffield was my first rush gig for over 30 years, can't believe why I left it so long, they're so good live!

What was Geddys sound like? On monday his bass was very muffled & boomy.

QUOTE (laztozia @ May 20 2011, 05:35 AM)

It was my first Rush show after a 27 year wait and boy was it worth it! Superb light and sound, and an excellent variety of songs. Can't wait for the new album.

yeah, great show .....but so many empty seats sad.gif

QUOTE (owlman @ May 20 2011, 05:51 AM)
Good to hear you enjoyed it. Sheffield was my first rush gig for over 30 years, can't believe why I left it so long, they're so good live!

Geddy's bass sound was superb. Very clear. There were times throughout the set in which I thought I was listening to a CD. Absolutely brilliant.

QUOTE (tel @ May 20 2011, 06:59 AM)

Empty seats? You mean the sections that were closed off? It looked pretty full from where I was sitting.

QUOTE (tel @ May 20 2011, 12:59 PM)

Was there? There were sections at the rear up in the gods curtained off but it looked packed out to me!

Biggest crowd of the tour so far I reckon....incredible for a band with limited appeal and no greatest hits for Joe Public to latch onto per se....taking in the 6 UK and 1 Irish show, they'll probably have played to 60000+ people. They're not Take That....although Gary Barlow and Alex could be related.....

S n A peaked at a dizzy number 80 in Ireland.....I think the crowds they're getting are phenomenal at this wrinkly stage in their career.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 20 2011, 01:46 PM)
Biggest crowd of the tour so far I reckon....incredible for a band with limited appeal and no greatest hits for Joe Public to latch onto per se....taking in the 6 UK and 1 Irish show, they'll probably have played to 60000+ people. They're not Take That....although Gary Barlow and Alex could be related.....

S n A peaked at a dizzy number 80 in Ireland.....I think the crowds they're getting are phenomenal at this wrinkly stage in their career.

I'd agree mate, if you look at the size of venues YES for example play these days (even with Jon Anderson).

I'm probably in the minority but I found the gig to be a bit like the curate's egg; good in parts.

There was a problem with the sound but part of that may also be me. I do expect good sound, even at arenas like the MEN. It is possible and having seen countless groups at that venue over the years it is possible. However, I've seen Rush at that venue on three occasions now (2004, 2007, 2011) and to me the sound has been unacceptable on each occasion.

Last night the issue seemed to be with Geddy. The bottom end was very muddy and indistinct. The issue was exacerbated on the post 80's songs in particular. The analogy I gave to my friend was that it was as though someone had got the sound right and then pressed a loudness button!. I sensed that the triggered keyboard parts may also be part of the problem. The second half of the gig was a huge improvement on the first, almost as though a switch had been thrown. The whole of Moving Pictures was sonically excellent.

I wasn't impressed by the 1st set. After the first two songs everything went very flat until Freewill. I understand that the group want to spice things up for themselves as well as the audience but for me it was unbalanced.

The second set, which of course included Moving Pictures was way better although I don't think much of Caravan and thought Far Cry wasn't a good choice for the concert closer. LVS was excellent but the rearrangement of Working Man didn't hit the sweet spot for me.

As ever the lighting was excellent and the guys really threw themselves into the gig but it wasn't a gig I'll recall with affection (MP aside) in years to come. The DVD will look impressive though.

All the above is my opinion. I'm not asking for anyone to agree, just be civil in your replies (if any)

QUOTE (laztozia @ May 20 2011, 07:18 AM)
QUOTE (owlman @ May 20 2011, 05:51 AM)

Geddy's bass sound was superb. Very clear. There were times throughout the set in which I thought I was listening to a CD. Absolutely brilliant.

Out of interest, where were you?

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 20 2011, 07:38 AM)

Was there? There were sections at the rear up in the gods curtained off but it looked packed out to me!

There were hardly any empty seats by the time the show started.

During the intermission I came back with my beer and crisps, staggering down the steps, with my MEN bag of rush goodies and this yellowcoat folds his arms security style in front of me barring the way, I goes "Hold my beer for me mate, while I get my ticket out..."

He looked at me like: HOLD YOUR FUCKINN BEER???? angry.gif

I looked back like: WELL WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO FUCKINN DO YER CUNNT. YOU WANT TO SEE THE FUCKINN TICKET DON'T YOU??? angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

All was calm though...and I finished eating my crisps just perfectly to coincide nicely with the Time Machine clock reaching 1981...I can't have these food distractions during the music, only beer!!

trink38.gif

yes ,the curtained off sections....the unsold seats confused13.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 20 2011, 11:58 AM)

what?...almost the whole upper tier was curtained off which means the seats were unsold confused13.gif

QUOTE (tel @ May 20 2011, 06:38 PM)

yes ,the curtained off sections....the unsold seats confused13.gif

Yes but its all relative, isnt it?

A 15,000 seater hall can be 25% empty but still have over 11,000 punters in...

MEN holds over 20,000 but there's usually a maximum of about 15,500 for these kind of events.

QUOTE (tel @ May 20 2011, 12:46 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 20 2011, 11:58 AM)

what?...almost the whole upper tier was curtained off which means the seats were unsold confused13.gif

I didn't notice that...

wacko.gif