New Rush Fan - where should I start?

maxelkat

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 22 2011, 03:48 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ May 22 2011, 10:42 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 22 2011, 05:16 PM)
Rush is progressive, but they are not progressive rock as in how that label is applied.

Just as modern architecture is not always modern, the movement died years ago.

It.Died.Years.Ago. rofl3.gif

News of Prog's death was greatly exaggerated.

Rush were Prog. Heavy Prog. Hemispheres 100% Prog no matter what the kid CT thinks.

Sir, I respectfully suggest you re-read copies of the NME, Melody Maker, Snouds sic and Record Mirror from back in the day. You may learn something.

Girugamesh.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 22 2011, 11:48 PM)
Rush is progressive, but they are not progressive rock as in how that label is applied.

Rush were Prog. Heavy Prog. Hemispheres 100% Prog no matter what the kid CT thinks.

Sir, I respectfully suggest you re-read copies of the NME, Melody Maker, Snouds sic and Record Mirror from back in the day. You may learn something.

Funny how Peart and Lifeson refer to Rush as being "Prog" in those days, Captain Beaky refers to them as being "metal."

Mind you this is the guy who likes Fleet Foxes and Arcade Fire, so what the f**k does he know about anything?

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 22 2011, 06:07 PM)
QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 22 2011, 11:48 PM)

Funny how Peart and Lifeson refer to Rush as being "Prog" in those days, Captain Beaky refers to them as being "metal."

Mind you this is the guy who likes Fleet Foxes and Arcade Fire, so what the f**k does he know about anything?

Are you kidding? Anything his daddy says is fact.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 22 2011, 10:10 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ May 22 2011, 10:43 PM)

Don't feed the troll! no.gif

Hahaha it's like a sign at the park that says "don't feed the pigeons!"

And I always end up feeding them tongue.gif

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ May 22 2011, 11:15 PM)

Except pigeons aren't extremely annoying. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 23 2011, 03:21 AM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ May 22 2011, 11:15 PM)

Except pigeons aren't extremely annoying. tongue.gif

Have you ever had several pigeons sitting outside your bedroom window "Coo-cooing" all bloody night?

That is like so waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy worse than a few home truths learned at he feet of my daddy.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 22 2011, 12:16 PM)

Prog is alive and well and that includes the pretentiousness it exhibited in the 70s. Today there are more varieties of it as well.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 19 2011, 12:14 PM)
You're in for a treat man! It's funny how you picked up RTB first. While I personally love that album because Bravado is my favorite song, that is probably not your friend had in mind when he meant Rush (This album is considered one of their absolute worst to many). RTB is hardly anything like the "OLD RUSH" which is generally considered the "BEST RUSH."

For starters, a compilation album or live album is good, specifically Different Stages since...well, it's different stages of their career. Moving Pictures is a good start if you are not into live stuff, or compilations. Moving Pictures has everything you need to get to know Rush, and it's sheer brilliance all the way through. A good idea might be to go in order to see how they involved. It's all up to you really.

However, save Hemispheres for the end, because that is the greatest album in existence 1022.gif

Rock on, and welcome trink39.gif 2.gif

+1

I would also recommend getting Chronicles which does a good job of capturing their evolution over the years, well at least until 1989. Base your purchasing decisions on which songs you like from there.

Other suggestions:

Get Moving Pictures pretty early. It's the quintissential Rush album and has bits of just about everything Rush has been over the years. It rocks hard, it's got a few keyboards mixed in but not too many, it's melodic, it's got a long epic. Permanent Waves is not far behind.

Rush tends to stick with a similar sound for about 3 albums before changing things up. So you could get the best of the 3 albums from a given period, and get a good idea of what they sounded like at the time. Then move on to the next period.

Out of Rush, Fly By Night, and Caress of Steel, you could get Fly By Night to get some of their early sound.

Then 2112, A Farewell to Kings and Hemisphere is their really proggy period. Opinions vary here and this period isn't my favorite so I would echo the other sentiments here and go with 2112 to start.

After Moving Pictures, you've got the synth period with Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, and Hold Your Fire. Pick one from among these. Which one is hard to say. I don't care for Hold Your Fire that much. They just start getting too soft on this album. The other 3 are all comparable. Power Windows is probably the best overall of the 3. It's very synth driven, but compelling. GUP is also synth driven but heavier and darker than Power Windows. It misses the mark a little bit more with a couple of songs, but it also very good. Signals is also a fine album but some of the songs on it come off sounding a bit sterile.

As others have said, if you like Roll the Bones, you'll probably also like Presto. It's a bit softer still compared to most of their albums, but moves away from the synths and finally starts incorporating the guitar again.

As for the stuff since Chronicles and Roll the Bones. Counterparts is VERY good. Just plain ole good, HARD rock. I also like Vapor Trails a lot. It's rocks hard but many others complain about the production quality of the album. It is a bit scratchy sounding here and there. Test For Echo and Snakes and Arrows don't do a ton for me. TFE sounds like they're trying too hard to be alterative and Snakes and Arrows is mostly pretty boring.

You've entered a whole new world. Enjoy the ride.

QUOTE (maxelkat @ May 19 2011, 02:08 PM)
Friends who know I like Foreigner and Porcpuine Tree have long been telling me that I would like Rush.
Browsing in a shop the other day, I stumbled across a copy of 'Roll the Bones', and I thought I'd give it a try.
I'm glad I did! I'm loving it!
Looking at the extensive discography is a little daunting, so I'm here to ask advice:
where do you think I should start (or rather, continue) in my exploration of Rush's work?

It really doesnt matter as long as you get them all. i started with Hold your fire, then went right back to the first RUSH album.

I dont think theres much point in following a band like RUSH without hearing everything.

My advice is rewind to 1974 and PROGress from there! That way you can see the evolution of RUSH.

Enjoy!

HELLOOOOOOOOOO NEW RUSH FAN!

Welcome to the fold. My name is Queen of Megadon, and I will be your tour guide. If you've managed to get through the above silliness, and you're still here that is.

You'll have to forgive us, some of us have been on this ride 20, 30 or more years, (28 for me) and you've asked quite a loaded question. We've had a lot of time to digest and regurgitate that question.

Please do continue to choose as you have! Pick by album art! Why not? But please do find your way to 2112, as it is, by all accounts, quintessential RUSH. Moving Pictures is their most "recognizable"

Beyond that? Enjoy your discovery. What half of us wouldn't give to start the journey again. Keep us posted!

For the record, I like RTB quite a lot! Even the rap. smile.gif