New Rush Fan - where should I start?

maxelkat

QUOTE (FoxxiStarr @ May 19 2011, 09:12 AM)
Before we get the "Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad" arguement in here ... I would respectfully point you to "2112", "A Farewell To Kings", "Hemispheres", "Moving Pictures" to begin with ... ALL good wink.gif

I agree with that list.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maxelkat @ May 19 2011, 10:08 AM)
Friends who know I like Foreigner and Porcpuine Tree have long been telling me that I would like Rush.
Browsing in a shop the other day, I stumbled across a copy of 'Roll the Bones', and I thought I'd give it a try.
I'm glad I did! I'm loving it!
Looking at the extensive discography is a little daunting, so I'm here to ask advice:
where do you think I should start (or rather, continue) in my exploration of Rush's work?

It's tough because a lot of us love their older stuff but a newer fan might be drawn towards more recent albums that have a more updated "sound" in the areas of production and the actual timbre of the instruments.

Old: can't go wrong with the Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures/Signals era.

You'll know if you like Rush or not with those albums. Also, check ebay and see if anyone might be unloading CDs cheap.

QUOTE (maxelkat @ May 19 2011, 07:08 AM)
Friends who know I like Foreigner and Porcpuine Tree have long been telling me that I would like Rush.
Browsing in a shop the other day, I stumbled across a copy of 'Roll the Bones', and I thought I'd give it a try.
I'm glad I did! I'm loving it!
Looking at the extensive discography is a little daunting, so I'm here to ask advice:
where do you think I should start (or rather, continue) in my exploration of Rush's work?

Ugh... Many consider that to be their absolute worst album.

Get Hold Your Fire next, then kind of go backwards from there by getting Grace Under Pressure, Permanent Waves, and then finally A Farewell to Kings.. From there, any album should sound Rush to you.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 19 2011, 10:36 AM)
I think it would be kind of cool to start from the beginning and listen to the band as they developed. How cool of a journey would that be? 1022.gif

goodpost.gif

Yes, just erase RTB from the memory bank and enjoy the wonders of FBN - HYF yes.gif

The best advice is to not ask advice about what album to get next. Just pick one. I say this because everybody's tastes are so different.

Even if the one you pick up first, second, or whatever is one you don't like, you should still buy others because chances are you'll get one you do like.

When I first became a fan and was able to start collecting their back catalog, I had no help and I don't regret the order in which I got them.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ May 19 2011, 08:11 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 19 2011, 10:36 AM)
I think it would be kind of cool to start from the beginning and listen to the band as they developed.  How cool of a journey would that be?  1022.gif

goodpost.gif

Yes, just erase RTB from the memory bank and enjoy the wonders of FBN - HYF yes.gif

Don;t let anyone pressure you into disliking RTB. I love it and I think Dreamline is one of their best songs since Signals.

Since you liked RTB, go with Presto wub.gif

After that, if you want true rock-out Rush, go with Hemispheres 1022.gif And you can't go wrong with 2112 or Moving Pictures. True masterpieces.

Oh, and, welcome to Rush!!! trink39.gif

Welcome! RTB is an odd place to start, but better late than never.. MP & 2112 are good places to start but AFtK is some of their finest.

Ged's vocals on HYF is phenomenal.

Save T4E, my least favorite.

Don't forget CoS, buy it listen to in once or twice then put it away for awhile, when you take it back out you will love it..

Good Luck, you've got a lot of listening ahead of you.

Yup...I always use 2112, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures as the "Rush Induction" albums cool.gif

And also check out "Counterparts", which in most people's opinions is Rush's best 90's album yes.gif

Welcome to Rush fandom and TRF! If you're not concerned with listening to full albums by themselves, and since you said you can't get them all at once, one thing you could do in the meantime is what I did at first: try to listen to a song (or two or three) each day until you've heard them all. I made a list of all the songs on all the albums and checked them off as I'd heard them. Rushradio.org has a bit you need to download, and then you tune in to what they're playing. They play all sorts of stuff - studio, live, etc. Rushradio.net has a list where you can click on any song and listen, and then of course there's YouTube. I was familiar with all of Rush's well- and fairly-well-known songs before I became a serious fan, so I just started randomly clicking songs I didn't know from the rest of their catalog. I still remember some of those first songs I picked, and what cool discoveries they all were.

Certainly, nothing compares to listening to a full album the way it was designed to flow, giving financial support to the band, and having the artwork and such if that's your preference. The above is just a means of getting up to speed.

And at your first possible opportunity, get thyself to a show. You'll be changed forever (no kidding). Hang on for that wild ride - the magic is still sinking in for me, 8 1/2 months later!

2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif

It's funny how you picked up RTB first.

Not having any other way to judge, I went by the cover art!

I quite like Bravado, but at the moment Dreamline is my favourite. However I can already tell that as I listen more I will uncover layers of musicality and my favourite will keep changing.

I also like the song Roll the Bones, but that rap ... what were they thinking!!

I look forward to discovering more of Rush, and the fact that you're all saying that they have changed a lot over the years is something I'm particularly looking forward to. I love bands that evolve, and where every album has a distinct sound (which is why I've decided to shy away from compilations and live albums for the time being).

Thanks everybody for the terrific welcome. 2.gif

I recommend not listening to any of the previous posts tongue.gif . I think there are 2 ways to start:

1. Despite having heard RTB first, you can go in chronological order so that you can see their evolution as a band.

2. Follow the theme of RTB. Go completely random and have the albums find YOU when you go into your local record shops. 2.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 20 2011, 03:23 AM)
I recommend not listening to any of the previous posts tongue.gif . I think there are 2 ways to start:

1. Despite having heard RTB first, you can go in chronological order so that you can see their evolution as a band.

2. Follow the theme of RTB. Go completely random and have the albums find YOU when you go into your local record shops. 2.gif

You could also go the Johnny Blaze Kwai Chang Caine route where each album represents an animal and listen to them taking the easiest challenge

Rush = Raven

Fly By Night = Owl

Caress of Steel = Black Crane

2112 = Dragon

A Farewell to Kings = Praying Mantis

Hemispheres = Golden Eagle

Permanent Waves = Tiger

Signals = Wolf

etc

cool10.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 20 2011, 05:42 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 20 2011, 03:23 AM)
I recommend not listening to any of the previous posts  tongue.gif . I think there are 2 ways to start:

You could also go the Johnny Blaze Kwai Chang Caine route where each album represents an animal and listen to them taking the easiest challenge

Rush = Raven

Fly By Night = Owl

Caress of Steel = Black Crane

2112 = Dragon

A Farewell to Kings = Praying Mantis

Hemispheres = Golden Eagle

Permanent Waves = Tiger

Signals = Wolf

etc

cool10.gif

Aye!

I just noticed that ILSnwdog previously posted the same as my #1 idea. It really does seem like the way to go. However, I do like the randomness of my second idea.

Oh, Farewell to Kings is a Lion, not Praying Mantis. PeW isn't really a tiger either. It'd have to be a she-Panther. cool10.gif

Another good idea: go to Groveshark.com and register for a free account. Turning can listen to an unlimited plays of studio and live material. Has a lot more selection than YouTube.

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ May 19 2011, 10:33 AM)
As someone who originally listened to Foreigner a lot (considered them my favorite band) and other arena rock bands, I started out with two songs from the album Counterparts. I immediately liked the songs on that album, and that branched out pretty much the entire catalog. It may, or will definitely take some time to acquire a taste for some eras of the band.

I would suggest Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves (precursor), and beyond simply because their stuff before hand was a bit more heavier or proggish, and I don't know if that will turn you off or not. For me, I had to acquire a taste first before I could explore some of their stuff before Moving Pictures, but once you do, their are fascinating albums to explore (e.g. A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres). Their stuff in the 80s develops more and more into a synth-type rock, which might be appealing to you if you like Foreigner's 80s stuff as well.

So, I would suggest Moving Pictures as a start, and then it's precursor, Permanent Waves. Permanent Waves features a couple of tracks that are basically the prototype for Moving Pictures. Then, if you like synths in your music try:

- Signals: The introduction of the synth-era sound.
- Grace Under Pressure: My favorite album. If you like the Police, you will love this album. Features the Police sound, yet still maintains the signature sound of Rush.
- Power Windows: Great balance between the synths and guitar.
- Hold Your Fire: 'Synthiest' of them all, but still has gems with powerful music.

If you prefer a sound similar to Roll the Bones, and possibly a heavier rock, I'd suggest:

- Presto: If you love Roll the Bones, you will like Presto.
- Counterparts: Hard rock with a touch of alternative rock.

If you like all of these albums, or at least a few, and want to explore the proggish sound, I would then suggest:

- 2112: Introduces to you the heavier side of Rush, and their proggish sound.

By now, if you are this far, you will probably be able to explore, and find your way around the discography. There are a couple albums from their prog era, and their beginning albums have a Led Zeppelin-esque sound, and their more recent albums have a modern-rock sound, so their is plenty of variety. Don't let the large discography deter you. Take it in at a fair pace. I hope I wasn't too detailed to confuse, or deter you.

Also, a tip of advice, if you have some free time, do some research on their albums, and the band itself. I used wikipedia to find information on their albums, which really helped making a selection of what I wanted to try and listen to.

(This is coming from someone who is recently a new Rush fan too. It will be about a year.)

Good luck, have fun, and welcome to the community! biggrin.gif

goodpost.gif

I can tell where Not to start, HYF,S&A or RTB

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 20 2011, 09:09 AM)
I can tell where Not to start, HYF,S&A or RTB

What!?! S&A is awesome! It was the best Rush in quite sometime.

QUOTE (FoxxiStarr @ May 19 2011, 02:12 PM)
Before we get the "Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad" arguement in here ... I would respectfully point you to "2112", "A Farewell To Kings", "Hemispheres", "Moving Pictures" to begin with ... ALL good wink.gif

Dang, I'm late to the Partay!!!!

Roll the Bones is complete and utter SHITE!!!!!!!!!!

Buy everything up to and including Signals. (Although it's on the slide after Hemispheres)

The rest you don't need. Although Power Windows would have made a very good four track EP.

The only live album you need is ATWAS, although I'd buy Different Stages - you can use discs 1 and 2 for coasters, but DS3 is the shit.

ignore this lot and listen to uncle tel, go and buy caress of steel and farewell to kings.

These two albums will have you touching cloth.

Start with RUSH and move up the ladder. That way you can see how they progressed over the years.

QUOTE (tel @ May 20 2011, 10:59 AM)
ignore this lot and listen to uncle tel, go and buy caress of steel and farewell to kings.
These two albums will have you touching cloth.

no.gif COS is not a good introduction to Rush.