New Rush Fan - where should I start?

maxelkat

Friends who know I like Foreigner and Porcpuine Tree have long been telling me that I would like Rush.

Browsing in a shop the other day, I stumbled across a copy of 'Roll the Bones', and I thought I'd give it a try.

I'm glad I did! I'm loving it!

Looking at the extensive discography is a little daunting, so I'm here to ask advice:

where do you think I should start (or rather, continue) in my exploration of Rush's work?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before we get the "Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad" arguement in here ... I would respectfully point you to "2112", "A Farewell To Kings", "Hemispheres", "Moving Pictures" to begin with ... ALL good wink.gif

If you like Roll the Bones, you will like Presto, too.

Welcome to the Rush family trink39.gif

QUOTE (greg2112 @ May 19 2011, 09:29 AM)
This is my usual recommendation for those new to the band: Start with 2112 and Moving Pictures and go from there.

couldnt agree more 2112 and MP then Perm waves and hemisheres

QUOTE (FoxxiStarr @ May 19 2011, 09:12 AM)
Before we get the "Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad" arguement in here ... I would respectfully point you to "2112", "A Farewell To Kings", "Hemispheres", "Moving Pictures" to begin with ... ALL good wink.gif

goodpost.gif

However I do think it's awesome you like RTB.

But for real musical prowess.. yeah, the above albums are probably the top tier. Hemispheres is probably as amazing as it gets for that first era.

(Permanent Waves >>> MP, but that's just me..! Don't tell the others! wink.gif

But if you like what you hear in Moving Pictures, I say go ahead and move on to the next several albums -- Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, etc. But that's later!)

QUOTE (maxelkat @ May 19 2011, 10:08 AM)
Friends who know I like Foreigner and Porcpuine Tree have long been telling me that I would like Rush.
Browsing in a shop the other day, I stumbled across a copy of 'Roll the Bones', and I thought I'd give it a try.
I'm glad I did! I'm loving it!
Looking at the extensive discography is a little daunting, so I'm here to ask advice:
where do you think I should start (or rather, continue) in my exploration of Rush's work?

Since you like Roll the Bones, you probably would get into Counterparts and Presto. To me, like Porcupine Tree, Rush has different sounds throughout the years and always seem to reinvent themselves.

I'd buy one the live albums for a flavour of different material.

A show of hands I think's a good one for that covering material up to Hold your fire. I also find them better sonically than their studio albums.

Presto is like Roll the Bones, but good. 2112 and Moving Pictures are generally considered the "essential" Rush albums, but I prefer Hemispheres and Permanent Waves. Rush got really synthesizer-driven in the '80s; Power Windows and Grace Under Pressure are the best from that period.

Most Rush albums are decent at the very least, so it isn't as if you really need anyone's help here. Just stay away from Test for Echo.

Thanks everybody, that's great.

There seems to be a lot of consensus over 2112, so I'll make that my next port of call.

I'll have to restrict myself to one a month, so I don't overload. Need to give each new album the chance to permeate my psyche.

I've added all your other suggestions to my Amazon wishlist too.

Thanks again

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

As someone who originally listened to Foreigner a lot (considered them my favorite band) and other arena rock bands, I started out with two songs from the album Counterparts. I immediately liked the songs on that album, and that branched out pretty much the entire catalog. It may, or will definitely take some time to acquire a taste for some eras of the band.

I would suggest Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves (precursor), and beyond simply because their stuff before hand was a bit more heavier or proggish, and I don't know if that will turn you off or not. For me, I had to acquire a taste first before I could explore some of their stuff before Moving Pictures, but once you do, their are fascinating albums to explore (e.g. A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres). Their stuff in the 80s develops more and more into a synth-type rock, which might be appealing to you if you like Foreigner's 80s stuff as well.

So, I would suggest Moving Pictures as a start, and then it's precursor, Permanent Waves. Permanent Waves features a couple of tracks that are basically the prototype for Moving Pictures. Then, if you like synths in your music try:

- Signals: The introduction of the synth-era sound.

- Grace Under Pressure: My favorite album. If you like the Police, you will love this album. Features the Police sound, yet still maintains the signature sound of Rush.

- Power Windows: Great balance between the synths and guitar.

- Hold Your Fire: 'Synthiest' of them all, but still has gems with powerful music.

If you prefer a sound similar to Roll the Bones, and possibly a heavier rock, I'd suggest:

- Presto: If you love Roll the Bones, you will like Presto.

- Counterparts: Hard rock with a touch of alternative rock.

If you like all of these albums, or at least a few, and want to explore the proggish sound, I would then suggest:

- 2112: Introduces to you the heavier side of Rush, and their proggish sound.

By now, if you are this far, you will probably be able to explore, and find your way around the discography. There are a couple albums from their prog era, and their beginning albums have a Led Zeppelin-esque sound, and their more recent albums have a modern-rock sound, so their is plenty of variety. Don't let the large discography deter you. Take it in at a fair pace. I hope I wasn't too detailed to confuse, or deter you.

Also, a tip of advice, if you have some free time, do some research on their albums, and the band itself. I used wikipedia to find information on their albums, which really helped making a selection of what I wanted to try and listen to.

(This is coming from someone who is recently a new Rush fan too. It will be about a year.)

Good luck, have fun, and welcome to the community! biggrin.gif

Edited by GUP1771

Surprised no one here said specifically pick up All The World's A Stage.

Phenomenal live album from the early years that gives a good smattering of all the early stuff without the need to buy all the albums. To me, that's an essential Rush album, along with 2112, Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves (my all-time fave album) and Hemispheres.

Snakes and Arrows Live is also an excellent choice for their more recent stuff combined with the classics.

Welcome - you've entered a whole new plane of rock music appreciation.

Rush has such a varied sound. I'd say, go with a compilation album, like Chronicles and see what songs you like best and go with the albums those songs are from next.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 19 2011, 10:48 AM)
For starters, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.

yes.gif 1022.gif

I'm not sure about getting a live album right away. I prefer to know the studio versions before I hear the live ones.

Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures really are the perfect albums for a Rush newbie.

Edited by J2112YYZ

You're in for a treat man! It's funny how you picked up RTB first. While I personally love that album because Bravado is my favorite song, that is probably not your friend had in mind when he meant Rush (This album is considered one of their absolute worst to many). RTB is hardly anything like the "OLD RUSH" which is generally considered the "BEST RUSH."

For starters, a compilation album or live album is good, specifically Different Stages since...well, it's different stages of their career. Moving Pictures is a good start if you are not into live stuff, or compilations. Moving Pictures has everything you need to get to know Rush, and it's sheer brilliance all the way through. A good idea might be to go in order to see how they involved. It's all up to you really.

However, save Hemispheres for the end, because that is the greatest album in existence 1022.gif

Rock on, and welcome trink39.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Atomic @ May 19 2011, 10:36 AM)
Surprised no one here said specifically pick up All The World's A Stage.

Phenomenal live album from the early years that gives a good smattering of all the early stuff without the need to buy all the albums. To me, that's an essential Rush album, along with 2112, Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves (my all-time fave album) and Hemispheres.

Snakes and Arrows Live is also an excellent choice for their more recent stuff combined with the classics.

Welcome - you've entered a whole new plane of rock music appreciation.

yes ,a great album but perhaps a bit brash for a new listener.

you happened to grab their worst album. Get these in this order.

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

A Farewell To Kings

Hemispheres

All The World's A Stage

I think it would be kind of cool to start from the beginning and listen to the band as they developed. How cool of a journey would that be? 1022.gif

It's simple mate; get yourself a copy of Permanent Waves, and take a step into a wider world.

...And a warm welcome to TRF. bekloppt.gif We're one big, happy family here - the more the merrier.

Moving Pictures for sure!!!

I don't envy anyone getting into RUSH in 2011, just based on the sheer volume of music and info you now have to get through. I've had almost 30yrs to digest all things RUSH and spent months with individual albums. Analyzing everything and really getting to know all the songs (maybe over Analyzing things) but as a drummer this was where it was at in those days.

I think today I might pass over a lot of great RUSH material as many songs, and in fact entire albums require a bit of effort to fully appreciate. Anything released in the early 80s' I found very accessible and yet the first couple of RUSH albums took a little more time. I do love each and every RUSH album, though it did take time.

I wonder what else I'm missing out on by not giving it the required time?

Good Luck,

2.gif

QUOTE (maxelkat @ May 19 2011, 10:27 AM)
Thanks everybody, that's great.

There seems to be a lot of consensus over 2112, so I'll make that my next port of call.
I'll have to restrict myself to one a month, so I don't overload. Need to give each new album the chance to permeate my psyche.
I've added all your other suggestions to my Amazon wishlist too.

Thanks again
new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

One album per month? I suggest something more like this:

Rush - 3 days

Fly By Night - 2 weeks

Caress of Steel - 1 week

2112 - 2 weeks

A Farewell to Kings - 3 weeks

Hemispheres - 1 month

Permanent Waves - 1 month

Moving Pictures - 3 weeks

Anything beyond that, spend as much time as you want.