Are Rush fans 'generally' into Sci Fi?

edgejedi

Just out of sheer curiosity, it seemed to be a kind of consistent theme I had noticed....Rush seem to attract a great deal of Sci Fi fans?

I guess I am one for sure, with a definate penchant for Star Wars! 1022.gif

Back in the early days of my 'Rush youth' after rushing to my library to order them, I certainly read the books that had been mentioned by Neil as inspirational...not sure they could entirely be classed as 'sci fi' (fantasy?) but they inspired me and have stuck with me since...

common001.gif

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did someone say...sci-fi?

*ping* *pong* *ping* *pong*

Music, the final frontier. These are the voyages of The Rush Forum. It's ongoing mission: to explore strange new genres, to seek out new fans and Rush based civilizations, to boldly go where no message board has gone before!

http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/startrek04.jpg

OOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo!

I can't speak for others, but I think my sig/avatar and post speak for themselves.

Edited by USB Connector

Let's see... I've loved:

All the Star Treks (everything lol), the original three Star Wars movies, X-Files, Fringe, V, The 4400, Kyle XY, episodes here and there of Stargate, The Event, Heroes, Journeyman, on and on and...

Oh, and countless sci-fi movies.

I've basically seen every broadcast sci-fi show since about 2006 or something. But I don't watch a lot on Syfy Channel, because imo it's of dumb.

So yes, HUUUUGE sci-fi fan, just look at my avatar haha, and I've met many others. xD Liiiike.. USB Connector!

Yes, I'm a nerd. Love both Stars, Dr. Who, D&D.... yeah, the whole shebang.

Oh. NOT Ayn Rand though. no.gif

I love science fiction. Star Wars, Stargate, Farscape, some of Star Trek, etc. I wouldn't consider myself a nerdy person, but I happen to like some things that are nerdy. I would rather be interested in intelligent forms of entertainment (e.g. Rush, science fiction), then the drivel that is mostly offered today (e.g. rap/hip hop, reality shows). Edited by GUP1771

QUOTE (USB Connector @ May 19 2011, 12:19 PM)
Did someone say...sci-fi?

*ping* *pong* *ping* *pong*
Music, the final frontier. These are the voyages of The Rush Forum. It's ongoing mission: to explore strange new genres, to seek out new fans and Rush based civilizations, to boldly go where no message board has gone before!
http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/startrek04.jpg
OOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo!

I can't speak for others, but I think my sig/avatar and post speak for themselves.

Wow, what a great pic..! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I love Star Trek (TNG). Voyager, DS9, Doctor Who, The Day Of The Triffids... cool.gif

I was: Yes...into all sci-fi (at least mainstream), dabbled into reasonably obscure sci-fi books, always loved Rush, techno-savvy, into (old-school) RPGs for a time, extremely goofy.

I remember when Nerd, Geek and Dork were interchangeable. (I was apparently all three...at least, so I was told when in school.)

user posted image

Nowadays: A Nerd is someone who is passionate about learning/being smart/academia. A Geek is someone who is passionate about some particular area or subject, often an obscure or difficult one. A Dork is someone who has difficulty with common social expectations/interactions.

(What kind of dork took the time to break those down!?)

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ May 19 2011, 08:48 AM)
And we dont have sex. Not even hand jobs.

I wouldn't say that. It just isn't someone else's hand. doh.gif

Edited by ioc

Sci Fi? Yup, count me in big-time.

I have to say, however, that I much prefer the term 'Speculative Fiction'. A lot of so-called science fiction has precious little 'science' in it, and the term 'speculative' seems so much more appropriate. To me, this branch of fiction is really about the big 'what if's, and does not necessarily have to involve any 'scientific' issues at all.

Conversely, I think that all the Star Trek series after Classic Trek tend more towards what I would call 'technology fiction', where some previously unheard-of technology is brought in to save the day. I mean what the hell are 'verteron rays' (for example)? They do not even sound credible, yet plot devices such as these often seem to have been cooked up to just get the crew out of a tight spot.

Anyhow, back to Rush: is there a correlation between Rush-loving and Sci-Fi consumption? Yes, I reckon there is a fairly strong one; certainly a statistically-significant correlation.

Considering the connection between Sci-Fi and Fantasy, it's no stretch for Sci-Fi fans to be Rush fans (or Prog-Rock in general) when you look at so much of Neil's lyrical content.

Along those lines: Prog-Rock/Sci-Fi user posted image

Not interested. I liked the original "Stepford Wives". That could be considered sci fi in a way. and very Rush like, except in this case it's woman against the mass production assembly line.

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ May 19 2011, 05:54 AM)
Rush fans are generally nerds; nerds are generally into science fiction.

I am so sick of being stereotyped as a nerd!

I swear, if I had my phaser right now....

angry.gif

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/RamsATW/ShatnerNimoyCropped.jpg

laugh.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 19 2011, 02:44 PM)
Not interested. I liked the original "Stepford Wives". That could be considered sci fi in a way. and very Rush like, except in this case it's woman against the mass production assembly line.

Rant On/ The Stepford Wives is more science fiction than a lot of other movies mentioned here/ Rant Off