Rush on BBC1 (UK)

hippy

Here's a thing......

(and this was actually picked up by my wife, 14 years of marriage have finally paid off!!!)

Tom Sawyer was played on BBC1 tonight !!!

Zane Lowe's Thursday Soundclash - about 01:08:20 in to the session.

URL is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b010wwxl

(please don't blame me if it doesn't work)

There is a lot of "Slap-a-da-bass" afterwards as well smile.gif

I am really sorry to dampen matters here, but it was BBC Radio One (pure audio), not BBC 1 (which is the 'main' TV channel over here). I knew this could not be correct when I saw the thread-title because I scan the TV schedules every day; moreover, there are never any music shows on BBC 1 at any time that would play Rush.

From 19:00 to 00:25 today, BBC 1's schedule was:

The One Show (amorphous magazine-bollocks - never watched it)

Eastenders ("Gor' blimey Guvnah, no one 'ere ever smiles")

Watchdog (It was this guy who did it, if you see the **** shop him)

Inside the Human Body (including real-time film of someone dying - didn't watch it, have experienced too much death over the last few years)

News (self explanatory)

A pair of excellent political/current-affairs debate/analysis programmes (e.g. This Week - fantastic stuff)

Frankly, the nearest that we will ever get to seeing Rush on the telly over here is:

a: If BBC 4 (what BBC 2 used to be) does some kind of rock-doc (although they've done a few of them over the last few years, in which we stood a fighting chance of seeing a Rush-mention, yet we didn't)

b: If Jools Holland got them onto his much-respected 'Late' show (or whatever it is called), which is a fantastic showcase for all sorts of bands that play live sets there-and-then in front of a studio audience.

On that topic: I thought a few weeks ago of emailing the BBC to suggest that they get Rush onto Jools Holland's show while The Boys are doing the UK leg of the TM tour. I did a bit of research on this, but, as far as I could determine, Holland's show is off-air during that period.

That was a real disappointment - it was an entirely workable idea that the God of TV Scheduling vetoed because, clearly, the basket is not a flippin' Rush fan.

I feel like firing off a letter to The Times...

Edited by Undemanding Contact

Really strange to have BBC Radio 1 play Rush but they did. This channel usually plays all sorts of stuff but I have never heard Rush on there before now. I bet Kissy Sell Out and Annie Nightingale won't be playing any Rush though. lol

http://mysite.verizon.net/Assbuster/BBCRadio1.jpg

QUOTE (Undemanding Contact @ May 13 2011, 12:56 AM)
Frankly, the nearest that we will ever get to seeing Rush on the telly over here is:

Sorry to piss in your chips Und-Cont but I recall seeing Rush on TOTP in 1981 when their live version of CTTH broke the Top Ten ~ unsure.gif

AND

Hearing "Subdivisions" Intro as link music when trailing programmes back in 1983 . . 653.gif

And I only know because I heard it and freaked out

I never wanted Rush to become more popular to justify MY choice, only as a recognition of THEIR ability.

Now .. .. , I want to keep them a secret.

As far as I can remember the only times Rush was on TotP was with Spirit of Radio and the live version of Tom Sawyer. Pan's People (or whoever it was at the time) actually did a dance routine to tSoR I think....

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 13 2011, 07:42 AM)
As far as I can remember the only times Rush was on TotP was with Spirit of Radio and the live version of Tom Sawyer. Pan's People (or whoever it was at the time) actually did a dance routine to tSoR I think....

Yer right mate, dancing around with portable radios pressed to their ears........ rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 13 2011, 06:42 AM)

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif I remember that - I was livid at the time. Wish it was on youtube now though!

QUOTE (Docmilsap @ May 13 2011, 07:00 AM)

Yer right mate, dancing around with portable radios pressed to their ears........ rofl3.gif

Heard about that but never saw it.

QUOTE (hippy @ May 12 2011, 04:27 PM)
Here's a thing......

(and this was actually picked up by my wife, 14 years of marriage have finally paid off!!!)

Tom Sawyer was played on BBC1 tonight !!!

Zane Lowe's Thursday Soundclash - about 01:08:20 in to the session.

URL is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b010wwxl

(please don't blame me if it doesn't work)

There is a lot of "Slap-a-da-bass" afterwards as well smile.gif

Finally b_sigh.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ May 13 2011, 02:30 AM)
QUOTE (Docmilsap @ May 13 2011, 07:00 AM)

Heard about that but never saw it.

Yeah, I've heard and read about that but I never saw it. I used to watch TOTP essentially every week back then, and I just do not recall ever seeing it.

Moreover, I am sure I would remember it because the moment I first heard Rush was when John Peel played The Spirit of Radio on his show. I heard that riff, and I remember thinking 'What is that?'. And that was it - I had contracted the Rush virus, and there was no going back. Given this, I am sure I would have recognised said riff on TOTP because it would have had the same effect on me.

Having said all that, I have never been taken with the idea of Pans People doing a routine to Rush - it is just so infra dig because they were such bloody rubbish. Although, Arlene Phillips saucy little troupe on Kenney Everett's show was a different matter. smile.gif

QUOTE (druid13 @ May 13 2011, 11:36 AM)
I am confused...why are we excited over this again...? Tom Sawyer was played on BBC?

I'm guessing it's because UK radio never plays Rush, unlike US rock radio which continuously plays the same 3-4 Rush songs every day.

Am I right? cool.gif BTW, I'm glad they played the sucka! smile.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 13 2011, 01:42 AM)

Aye...

trink38.gif

First off, apologies, it should have been BBC (Radio) 1. I guess in my amazment I forgot the "Radio" bit.

However, the fact remains, on Radio 1 ?!?!?!

Thats what the kids listen to (showing my age now).

Planet Rock used to play a bit of Rush every now and then, but in this day and age, I never expected anything to crop up on Radio 1.

That's pretty cool - if anyone was going to play it, it would be Zane Lowe. I quite like his music taste, and his radio show was pretty good 5-6 years ago before he became a victim of his own hype.

QUOTE (hippy @ May 15 2011, 01:30 AM)
First off, apologies, it should have been BBC (Radio) 1. I guess in my amazment I forgot the "Radio" bit.

However, the fact remains, on Radio 1 ?!?!?!

Thats what the kids listen to (showing my age now).

Planet Rock used to play a bit of Rush every now and then, but in this day and age, I never expected anything to crop up on Radio 1.

Radio 2 play TSoR all the time on the Ken Bruce show.

Rush fans shouldn't be listening to Radio 1, that's for kids.

Radio 2, Middle of the Road Music, for middle-aged people smile.gif