I've had enough.

Soni

I'm so f*cking sick to see a new "Is Neil too old." or "This is Rush's last tour" type threads every time I log in on TRF.

I joined this forum to talk with other Rush fans, to share my love of the band with others. Not to read stupid trolls.

Until this f*cked up trend of stupid threads keeps going, I won't post nor look at this sub forum.

See ya in the Pit, Nick.

ps

2.gif rulezzz bitches!!!

Edited by Soni

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Ron2112 @ May 11 2011, 12:52 PM)
I agree in general, but if you think it's bad here, you don't want to go anywhere near the Counterparts Message Board.

I think you will find that Counterparts is paragon of informed debate, reasoned argument and graceful sensitivity compared to TRF.

I'll say hi to Nickslikk2112 and Slim for you, I should be seeing them in a bit. smile.gif

QUOTE (Soni @ May 11 2011, 08:23 AM)
I'm so f*cking sick to see a new "Is Neil too old." or "This is Rush's last tour" type threads every time I log in on TRF.
I joined this forum to talk with other Rush fans, to share my love of the band with others. Not to read stupid trolls.
Until this f*cked up trend of stupid threads keeps going, I won't post nor look at this sub forum.

See ya in the Pit, Nick.

ps
2.gif rulezzz bitches!!!

+1

Shit gets old..

Making an off-topic thread discussing your dislike of off-topic threads is kind of unnecessary. While everyone hates the threads you mentioned, it does manage to provoke a discussion (no matter how heated it may get at times). The only thing you can do is ignore it--the problem is the fact that people respond to it (a lot) and that is the reason it becomes so bad. If people just didn't bother responding to these "trolls" (as it's been put), then the threads would disappear from the first page in 2-3 days.

QUOTE (Scars @ May 11 2011, 01:26 PM)
Making an off-topic thread discussing your dislike of off-topic threads is kind of unnecessary.

^ furthermore, it would be akin to behaving in the same way that offended you, Soni - ooops

While everyone hates the threads you mentioned, it does manage to provoke a discussion (no matter how heated it may get at times).

^ 'everyone'? now don't be silly, Scars

The only thing you can do is ignore it--the problem is the fact that people respond to it (a lot) and that is the reason it becomes so bad.

^ hmm, maybe it's not as 'bad' as you assume - there's nothing illegitimate about threads discussing a drummer's age or the potential future of a band (especially one that's been at it over 40 years)

If people just didn't bother responding to these "trolls" (as it's been put), then the threads would disappear from the first page in 2-3 days.

^ amend that to 'If people who were bothered by such topics just didn't participate or respond to them, no problem' and you've got a winner trink39.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ May 11 2011, 02:38 PM)
Making an off-topic thread discussing your dislike of off-topic threads is kind of unnecessary.

^ furthermore, it would be akin to behaving in the same way that offended you, Soni - ooops

While everyone hates the threads you mentioned, it does manage to provoke a discussion (no matter how heated it may get at times).

The only thing you can do is ignore it--the problem is the fact that people respond to it (a lot) and that is the reason it becomes so bad.

^ hmm, maybe it's not as 'bad' as you assume - there's nothing illegitimate about threads discussing a drummer's age or the potential future of a band (especially one that's been at it over 40 years)

If people just didn't bother responding to these "trolls" (as it's been put), then the threads would disappear from the first page in 2-3 days.

^ amend that to 'If people who were bothered by such topics just didn't participate or respond to them, no problem' and you've got a winner trink39.gif

As a member of a forum, there may be a lot of sense to this point of view. However, from the perspective of those who are trying to maintain a forum that has some sense of appeal, especially to new prospective members - what is written here is completely wrong.

There should be no need for anyone to have to siphon through a bunch of bullshit threads before a legitimate one can be found. There should also be no reason to believe someone can easily ascertain that a thread is bogus simply from the thread title. They would have to read some of it first. That blows the entire "if you don't like it, don't read it" theory out of the water.

There is also the fact that there are many completely derailing and inappropriate posts into what otherwise would have been legitimate topics. Again, you don't know of the intent until you actually read it.

QUOTE (Soni @ May 11 2011, 08:23 AM)

See ya in the Pit, Nick.

ps
2.gif rulezzz bitches!!!

The Admins/Mods of this forum agree with you, Soni. It's something we've been discussing as well - and your thread punctuates just how bad it's been getting lately. We're with you on that. We're also caught between trying to keep this an interesting forum that fans/members can enjoy without becoming tyrannical about how people can express themselves. The last thing we want to do is censor or restrict. Yet many of these threads seem to be created for 'effect' or with the intention of getting a rise out of people - which really questions not only the credibility of the topic, but of the OP as well, and we cannot let the forum be overcome with useless negativity and merit-less topics.

I don't think there is a Rush community out there that doesn't have these problems. I have friends who are members of forums for other bands, even jazz, where attitudes just go completely awry. Egos flair. It's part and parcel of message boards, no matter who or what the focus of the board is, in this case Rush.

There are times where I actually miss being "the only Rush fan" where I didn't have to justify what I like or dislike about Rush. But I've made great friends on these boards (CP and here).

I just hope that if I lose all interest in current and future Rush music (which becomes likely with every passing day), those friends will not abandon me.

QUOTE (Pags @ May 11 2011, 02:51 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ May 11 2011, 02:38 PM)

As a member of a forum, there may be a lot of sense to this point of view. However, from the perspective of those who are trying to maintain a forum that has some sense of appeal, especially to new prospective members - what is written here is completely wrong.

There should be no need for anyone to have to siphon through a bunch of bullshit threads before a legitimate one can be found. There should also be no reason to believe someone can easily ascertain that a thread is bogus simply from the thread title. They would have to read some of it first. That blows the entire "if you don't like it, don't read it" theory out of the water.

There is also the fact that there are many completely derailing and inappropriate posts into what otherwise would have been legitimate topics. Again, you don't know of the intent until you actually read it.

Well now what if like...similar to the *SPOILER* tags, when a thread is found to be a troll thread, it gets labeled with *TROLL* in the title...that'd keep the right people away and attract the ones who find it entertaining confused13.gif

Maybe there should be more strict guidelines as to what can and cannot go in the main Rush Forum. It is in some ways the "front page" of the site in as much it is what people come here to read. There could be a sub-forum for "Rush banter" with a warning that the content might be more flippant.

I'm sorry but ioc and Soni come across as whiny-arsed attention-seekers to me. This "I'm leaving" or "I'm sick of.." phenomenon lies entirely with the Internet as in real life it would come across as crass.

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 11 2011, 11:47 PM)
I'm sorry but ioc and Soni come across as whiny-arsed attention-seekers to me. This "I'm leaving" or "I'm sick of.." phenomenon lies entirely with the Internet as in real life it would come across as crass.

... dude, really...?

That's not about me.

beathorse.gif

QUOTE (Soni @ May 11 2011, 10:49 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ May 11 2011, 11:47 PM)

... dude, really...?

That's not about me.

beathorse.gif

Stop beating that horse, the noise is attracting the whingers, the trolls and the smart-arses. But enough about me... biggrin.gif