birmingham n.e.c may 22nd

I'll be there tonight! Bringing the Rush love from a 22 year old female :-D

Far too excited, think I'm gonna whack on my R30 DVD, just to tip me over the edge.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome show, had no idea my seat was 5 rows in front of Geddy !! What a surprise, in short, excellent show, crystal clear sound, never thought i would see them that close up, crowd seemed a little dull around me, and to the scumbag who pushed his way in front of me despite security trying to get him back and then caught the T-shirt that Geddy threw that was literally coming into my hands, i hope it gives you a bad rash, you know who you are rage.gif Edited by jesterhud

Bubba's Bar n Grill (@RoadRash66)

22/05/2011 16:02

The winds today! Reminds of West Texas where it blows real good. Birmingham, always a great crowd. Lots of good riding in the next 48, XOBNB

QUOTE (jesterhud @ May 23 2011, 08:12 AM)
and to the scumbag who pushed his way in front of me despite security trying to get him back and then caught the T-shirt that Geddy threw that was literally coming into my hands, i hope it gives you a bad rash, you know who you are rage.gif

Dude, no rash here, it's going straight on ebay tongue.gif

Well, that's Rush been and gone for another tour.

In truth I didn't enjoy last night as much as the S&A tour. We had GREAT seats in Block 15, 3 rows back and I swore i'd never do floor seats again ...

BUT ... everyone sat down throughout the entire gig!

I couldn't believe it. I was getting restless wriggling in my seat expecting everyone to get up like a proper gig, but they didn't. I should've led the charge myself I guess. But looking at some of the folks around me they'd have had a heart attack if anyone had dared stand up.

The first set dragged for me. Not enough classic stuff to keep me interested. My mate commented that it was like going to see AC/DC and them playing a first set of stuff from 85-2000. I saw his point. Break out the classics for gigs, should be start to finish CLASSICS.

Second set was mighty though. Really made up for the earlier letdown.

Good to see the NEC 90% full too

Well I thought the guys just ripped it up last night. Maybe you need to be in the floor sections to appreciate it, but they nailed just about every song.

I was really impressed at how powerful Presto was and Far Cry rocked the joint. Not sure how you judge classics, but if you want Rush to become a sorry tribute to themselves like AC/DC, Metallica etc then forget it, they are to proud.

Moving Pictures was just so sweet from top to bottom.

am currently uploading some video attempts of the gig (and some photos).will link here when done.overall found the gig fantastic (well apart from a tall guy with the biggest head/neck in history/sorry mate but you do ;-) was in row 19 directly at middle of stage.loved the lightshow/explosions/flamethrowers e.t.c.and loved their renditions of s o r,limelight,witch hunt,marathon (oh just all of it to be honest biggrin.gif after hearing their new tracks caravan and b 2 b u (i think?) cannot wait for the new album yes.gif 1022.gif 2.gif overall was a fantastic evening (even though not many people were moshing (but i was wink.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif AlexFinal.gif gg.gif 2.gif 653.gif cheer.gif common001.gif applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif icon_alienjig.gif msn_sheep.png

QUOTE (StuartBruce @ May 23 2011, 06:51 AM)
Well I thought the guys just ripped it up last night. Maybe you need to be in the floor sections to appreciate it, but they nailed just about every song.

I was really impressed at how powerful Presto was and Far Cry rocked the joint. Not sure how you judge classics, but if you want Rush to become a sorry tribute to themselves like AC/DC, Metallica etc then forget it, they are to proud.

Er, I judge classics by them being classics!

Not average fodder like Presto, Marathon, Time Stand Still, Stick It Out, Faithless, Leave That Thing Alone ... and the two new ones.

They're not 'shit', but you'd have to be crazy to try and convince me the band don't have better songs they could play

As for AC/DC being a 'sorry tribute' ...

Deary me. There's a reason they're the biggest rock band on the planet still, and it's because they leave crowds wanting more every time. If they were some tribute i'm sure that wouldn't be the case.

Maybe Rush could learn a few lessons from the masters

QUOTE (AJ71 @ May 23 2011, 10:29 AM)
BUT ... everyone sat down throughout the entire gig!

You should've come back where we were - we were in block 15 row L and we, and those around us, were all standing up. Had a great time!

QUOTE (AJ71 @ May 23 2011, 12:19 PM)
Not average fodder like Presto, Marathon, Time Stand Still, Stick It Out, Faithless, Leave That Thing Alone ... and the two new ones.

That's purely a matter of opinion, though. I agree on Faithless, totally, but I'd never seen them play Stick It Out live before, so that was good for me, and I've been thrilled to hear Time Stand Still and particularly Marathon again. Not average fodder at all - but that's just my opinion biggrin.gif

Overall I didn't think the Brum gig was as good as Manchester. But then Manchester was perfect - well, apart from being Manchester, that is wink.gif ph34r.gif

One of, if not the best Rush show I`ve been too. My excitement was reduced very slightly, as I have seen them several times on each UK tour since '83, and I might not be quite so "into" Rush as I used to be (and probably because I'd seen most of the show on youtube in recent months !). However, brilliant night, amazing band, and I'll be back for more if we are lucky to have them tour the UK again.

QUOTE (AJ71 @ May 23 2011, 12:19 PM)
QUOTE (StuartBruce @ May 23 2011, 06:51 AM)

Er, I judge classics by them being classics!

They're not 'shit', but you'd have to be crazy to try and convince me the band don't have better songs they could play

As for AC/DC being a 'sorry tribute' ...

You can leave Marathon out of that list, surprisingly I thought it to be just about the best bit of the show. But yes, there were a lot of non-classic songs performed.

And like AC/DC, Metallica aren't a sorry tribute to themselves. They came back with a storming - if not classic - album after the worst album of their career, something Rush didn't manage, plus Metallica shake up their setlists so you never know exactly what you're going to get.

I must confess I stopped listening to Metallica after my first spin of And Justice For All

I knew they'd lost the plot there and then. No bass, drums that sounded like someone flicking tupperware pots and loss of the Cliff 'drive'

Thought the boys were brilliant last night at the NEC, shame I can't say the same about the crowd. Three blokes near us spent all night talking through the show, what's the point of that? And Marathon is a classic in my book and overall the set was great, I for one don't want to hear all old stuff. The much derided Faithless was also brilliant.

QUOTE (Alvy Singer @ May 23 2011, 01:55 PM)
The much derided Faithless was also brilliant.

Strewth! You must have been wearing the hat in your avatar if you think that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got back and despite not being able to see much (short arse + no screens) very often, I had a blast! Thought the crowd where I was were a lot more into it than at Manchester and overall I think it was a better show.

Spoke to a lovely guy next to me during the interval from Northern Ireland who mentioned being on some Rush forums so bekloppt.gif if you see this!

Had a really great time, thought Marathon in particular was amazing.

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 23 2011, 09:06 AM)
QUOTE (Alvy Singer @ May 23 2011, 01:55 PM)
The much derided Faithless was also brilliant.

Strewth! You must have been wearing the hat in your avatar if you think that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, but I could have done with some platform shoes to see what was going on.

Geddy likes Faithless, he said so!

I enjoyed the classics, but to me Caravan & Presto were 2 of the stand out tracks along with Marathan, Witch Hunt, Limelight.

Could've done without Stick It Out personally.

Musicianship was top notch, Geddys voice was hard to hear a lot of the time, though was perfect on Presto.