Clockwork Angels Update

snowdogged

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 11 2011, 10:20 PM)
QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ May 7 2011, 11:17 PM)
QUOTE (GUP1771 @ May 6 2011, 09:22 PM)
Being a new Rush fan, I'm saddened that I came this late in the game. I was hoping for a lot more, but who knows? Anything is possible.

Exactly how I feel, but I'm so glad I didn't miss the whole thing. I know what the focus of the next several years will be!

Same here. I'm so young and it's sad to know that my kids will never see a Rush concert. sad.gif

I know the feeling. I became a fan just after they passed by here on the S&A tour. Although I am glad I missed the snakes tour because I think it would have put me off of Rush at the time. Still, I'm really happy to have gotten the chance to see the TM tour twice. It's such a great show filled with my favorite songs. To me, not a single song in there was a dud.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 14 2011, 05:00 PM)
QUOTE (Ceiling Limited Squishy @ May 14 2011, 10:18 PM)
QUOTE (drbirdsong @ May 13 2011, 07:37 AM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ May 12 2011, 01:02 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ May 11 2011, 09:26 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 9 2011, 11:27 PM)

i've never heard any argument (or more accurately rationalization) to convince me otherwise.

Perhaps it's NOT their first priority.

After all, they've got nearly 40 years of making music and touring behind them. In their earlier days, it consumed their lives.

Neil has a young daughter. Alex has grandchildren, and Geddy has a teen daughter still living at home.

Maybe, just maybe, now that they are closing in on 60, they want to enjoy some of the fruits of their labors and spend time with their families and non-music-related hobbies.

They've earned it. Sure, I'd like to see new releases more often, but I'll gladly take what they care to offer at this point. We are VERY lucky as Rush fans that they've lasted this long AND that they still feel the urge to record and tour at all.

goodpost.gif

+1 smile.gif

+2 smile.gif I'm lucky to be seeing them in two days!

From what I saw on Thursday, I wouldn't bother getting excited...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 15 2011, 06:48 PM)
I'll buy that it's not their first priority to make albums of new material (that should be obvious based on their behavior), but to rationalize it as because they want to sepnd time with their families and do non-music-related hobbies makes NO sense to me.

Making an album they could do in 3-4 months TOPS if they focus. No need for a 65 minute opus complete with filler. We'll be happy with 40 minutes of great music.

Instead, they've done relentless touring year after year, supporting virtually nothing. Talk about something that takes them away from their families and hobbies! But then of course if they did do an album, they'd have to relentlessly tour to support the album for 2 years, even though the album will be a very minor success and sell 200,000 copies, because after all, touring is where The Big Money is, and it goes around the world.

And to say it's so great that they still have the urge to record and tour at all is to me the granddaddy of all rationalizations. Be grateful for what you get. It could be nothing. It's a nice sentiment, but it doesn't excuse the fact that they've made 3 albums in the last 18 years. That just seems pretty weak to me. If they were a semi-retired band, fine, but they're obviously not. I do forgive and understand the 1996-2002 gap, but other than that....

Some people just insist on being glass half full and will forgive anything they do. It's fine. It's very upbeat. It's got a great beat and I can dance to it.

Don't worry about making an album only every 5 or 6 years, even though you're an active band that could make them if you wanted to and be a creative entity, oh mighty Rush, you who can do no wrong. We will not lament the music that could have been. We will forgive you for anything and throw money at you at every opportunity for every repetitive concert, DVD, live album and new best of collection, oh holy rock gods that you are. Don't worry about us even though we want new material, we're grateful for any table scraps you care to throw our direction. Thank you sir, may I have another!

http://www.empireofthekop.com/anfield/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/DOUBLE-FACEPALM.jpg

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ May 15 2011, 08:08 PM)
I'll buy that it's not their first priority to make albums of new material (that should be obvious based on their behavior), but to rationalize it as because they want to sepnd time with their families and do non-music-related hobbies makes NO sense to me.

Making an album they could do in 3-4 months TOPS if they focus.  No need for a 65 minute opus complete with filler.  We'll be happy with 40 minutes of great music. 

Instead, they've done relentless touring year after year, supporting virtually nothing.  Talk about something that takes them away from their families and hobbies!  But then of course if they did do an album, they'd have to relentlessly tour to support the album for 2 years, even though the album will be a very minor success and sell 200,000 copies, because after all, touring is where The Big Money is, and it goes around the world.

And to say it's so great that they still have the urge to record and tour at all is to me the granddaddy of all rationalizations.  Be grateful for what you get.  It could be nothing.  It's a nice sentiment, but it doesn't excuse the fact that they've made 3 albums in the last 18 years.  That just seems pretty weak to me.  If they were a semi-retired band, fine, but they're obviously not.  I do forgive and understand the 1996-2002 gap, but other than that.... 

Some people just insist on being glass half full and will forgive anything they do.  It's fine.  It's very upbeat.  It's got a great beat and I can dance to it.

Don't worry about making an album only every 5 or 6 years, even though you're an active band that could make them if you wanted to and be a creative entity, oh mighty Rush, you who can do no wrong.  We will not lament the music that could have been.  We will forgive you for anything and throw money at you at every opportunity for every repetitive concert, DVD, live album and new best of collection, oh holy rock gods that you are.  Don't worry about us even though we want new material, we're grateful for any table scraps you care to throw our direction.  Thank you sir, may I have another!

http://www.empireofthekop.com/anfield/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/DOUBLE-FACEPALM.jpg

goodpost.gif

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (The Main Monkey Business @ May 16 2011, 09:30 AM)
Rush is now arguably bigger than ever and if the first 2 songs are anything to go by, I see no reason why CA can't got platinum and be ranked as one of their best albums.

Rush bigger than ever? Absolute Piffle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (Passage2 @ May 16 2011, 01:26 AM)
@Cosy Toes

You must have been tripping your a$$ off on wrong juice.

The Dublin show was extraordinary, or so everyone in the crowd except you thought.

So, you know the views of everybody in the crowd do you?

Can I Just tell you something then, I was talking to a bloke who has a ticket for the Manchester show, and he was so disappointed in the Dublin show he may not now go to the Manchester show, that's a man with 30 years of Rush concert experience.

How's about this:

Hugely disappointing.

The first set just doesn't work for me - the sequencing of tracks is strange, and lacks any kind of dynamic or momentum. The snakes and arrows tracks are pretty excruciating, particularly faithless. The 2 new tracks just sound like noise.  Geddy's singing was just alarming, not sure if he was having an off night, although I've read lots of reports from the US leg saying similar things.  I don't remember his voice being poor in either 2004 or 2007.

The actual production is also not as impressive as the last few tours.  No lasers, no pyro and a lighting rig that doesn't actually do much.

Alex, I thought was pretty erratic as well. The moving pictures section which I was looking forward to wasn't great, the camera eye in particular just sounded a mess.

la villa was played far too fast,  I think.

and this:

sat dead centre in the o2 and all i can say so far is what a shower of shite! Better pull their fingers out in the second half

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 16 2011, 07:39 PM)
Rush is now arguably bigger than ever and if the first 2 songs are anything to go by, I see no reason why CA can't got platinum and be ranked as one of their best albums.

I have to agree with Cosy. The biggest they've been had to have been after MP.

Just because they're on a few tv shows every once in a while these days doesn't mean they are more popular than 30 years ago.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 16 2011, 05:54 AM)
QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 16 2011, 07:39 PM)

I have to agree with Cosy. The biggest they've been had to have been after MP.

Just because they're on a few tv shows every once in a while these days doesn't mean they are more popular than 30 years ago.

What do you guys mean by biggest ever? In the early 80s they were one of the most popular bands in the world, selling millions of albums. Since then they've had pretty poor albums sales. I dont even think S&A broke 500k copies, did it?

I guess they're getting some cultural popularity now, but it seems like its just more of a long overdue respect thing due to how long they've been around and are nearing the end of the line, so they're now being mentioned in movies and whatnot, but as a band, as far as their music goes, they arent even remotely as popular as they were 30 years ago.

There arent even that many people under the age of 30 who could even tell you who Rush is.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ May 16 2011, 12:16 PM)

That wasnt the case in '81. EVERYONE knew who they were, they were all over the radio.

True. From what i remember in the summer of 1981[ cool10.gif trink38.gif ] The biggest Rock bands were Rush, Van Halen, Journey, Styx and Reo Speedwagon . They sold out Arenas and sold Millions of albums . Now Rush does Not sell even 500,000 albums and can't sell out an Arena in the U.S. . They might be more popular they they have been in a long time ,but nothing like 1981

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 16 2011, 12:26 PM)

That wasnt the case in '81. EVERYONE knew who they were, they were all over the radio.

True. From what i remember in the summer of 1981[ cool10.gif trink38.gif ] The biggest Rock bands were Rush, Van Halen, Journey, Styx and Reo Speedwagon . They sold out Arenas and sold Millions of albums . Now Rush does Not sell even 500,000 albums and can't sell out an Arena in the U.S. . They might be more popular they they have been in a long time ,but nothing like 1981

That's comparing apples and oranges. NO BAND sells as many records today or draws as many concert fans as in the 80's. It is a different era. Even the mega popular pop/rock bands have trouble just going platinum in this day and age if downloading. I have to agree with you though. There was a buzz about Rush in the early 80's and even non Rush fans were talking about the band.

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 16 2011, 12:41 PM)

That's comparing apples and oranges. NO BAND sells as many records today or draws as many concert fans as in the 80's. It is a different era. Even the mega popular pop/rock bands have trouble just going platinum in this day and age if downloading. I have to agree with you though. There was a buzz about Rush in the early 80's and even non Rush fans were talking about the band.

That is my point wink.gif So when someone says Rush is bigger than ever now ,i just rofl3.gif I do miss an era when fat lazy kids got off the sofa and went to the store and bought an f-n album, instead of downloading it or stealing it . trink39.gif

Changing times, besides Van Halen who only did well attendance wise last tour because Roth reunited with them. Rush has done it's share of close to AND sold out venues this year and 2010... Where are the other bands you listed SpeedWagon, Styx, Journey? Rib burnoff festivals!!! laugh.gif

QUOTE (softfilter @ May 16 2011, 12:47 PM)

Changing times, besides Van Halen who only did well attendance wise last tour because Roth reunited with them. Rush has done it's share of close to AND sold out venues this year and 2010... Where are the other bands you listed SpeedWagon, Styx, Journey? Rib burnoff festivals!!! laugh.gif

laugh.gif Believe it or not Journey still plays in arenas and V.H. always did, no matter who the singer was. As for Reo Speedwagon? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ May 15 2011, 06:08 PM)
I'll buy that it's not their first priority to make albums of new material (that should be obvious based on their behavior), but to rationalize it as because they want to spend time with their families and do non-music-related hobbies makes NO sense to me.

Making an album they could do in 3-4 months TOPS if they focus.  No need for a 65 minute opus complete with filler.  We'll be happy with 40 minutes of great music. 

Instead, they've done relentless touring year after year, supporting virtually nothing.  Talk about something that takes them away from their families and hobbies!  But then of course if they did do an album, they'd have to relentlessly tour to support the album for 2 years, even though the album will be a very minor success and sell 200,000 copies, because after all, touring is where The Big Money is, and it goes around the world.

And to say it's so great that they still have the urge to record and tour at all is to me the granddaddy of all rationalizations.  Be grateful for what you get.  It could be nothing.  It's a nice sentiment, but it doesn't excuse the fact that they've made 3 albums in the last 18 years.  That just seems pretty weak to me.  If they were a semi-retired band, fine, but they're obviously not.  I do forgive and understand the 1996-2002 gap, but other than that.... 

Some people just insist on being glass half full and will forgive anything they do.  It's fine.  It's very upbeat.  It's got a great beat and I can dance to it.

Don't worry about making an album only every 5 or 6 years, even though you're an active band that could make them if you wanted to and be a creative entity, oh mighty Rush, you who can do no wrong.  We will not lament the music that could have been.  We will forgive you for anything and throw money at you at every opportunity for every repetitive concert, DVD, live album and new best of collection, oh holy rock gods that you are.  Don't worry about us even though we want new material, we're grateful for any table scraps you care to throw our direction.  Thank you sir, may I have another!

As I've said before in this thread, just keepin' it real. yes.gif

It annoys the hell out of me that Rush had their peak in popularity at the same time as those cheese dick bands. I think that's part of the reason why some folks think they are just a silly " 80s arena rock band" ..damn you Moving Pictures!!