Clockwork Angels Update

snowdogged

In the new issue of Classic Rock Presents Prog, Geddy Lee discusses the status of Clockwork Angels:

"It's been quite weird because we've never really taken so long and interrupted a writing process so many time,' he states. 'We have about six songs finished and waiting to go into pre-production and then be recorded. We've been kind of afraid to go back to them, because we don't want to start f#cking around with them, we liked them at the time...Alex and I tried to do some writing on this break.' Geddy continues. 'We've had three months, so we thought "Okay, so maybe we should get all of the rest of the record finished"...but Neil just had a baby last year and he needed to use that time to be a dad and to be domestic, and he didn't want to uproot and get into this intense writing session, and that was totally cool. So Alex and I have been getting together regularly and jamming, and now we have a lot of good material just lying around in suspended animation...We're going in a conceptual direction on this record, for sure..We started with a 10-minute song idea that then turned into a concept and it's feeding off itself. It's like that question that Steven Colbert asked us in the movie. "Are your songs so long that by the end you're influencing yourself?" I think we're doing that now. We're like a feedback loop, influencing ourselves now. We're spending so much time on this concept. It's been fun, because we haven't gone down that road in a while. Let's see if we can pull it off!'"

Neil Peart also discusses the frustration in delaying Clockwork Angels to tour:

"'It was hard for me to set the album aside to tour, this really means a lot to me, I intend it to be my highest achievement lyrically and drumming wise, so I really want to get it done while we still can.'...Although Peart talks about their next album as if it might be their last, thought he never specifically says that, he just sounds like he's reaching some kind of endgame..." -

http://news.2112.net/

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For as much as I disregard the last few Rush albums, at least the band CARES about making something good. That's why I've always respected them even though I haven't enjoyed their recent output.

QUOTE (Jag2112 @ May 6 2011, 08:39 AM)
Some additional excerpts from the articles are available HERE.

I'm really getting anxious for the boys to finish up the album -- !

Me too. It really sounds like they have latched onto something big here - they just have to finish it up now.

QUOTE (jesse2112 @ May 6 2011, 07:25 AM)
this is very promising

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ May 6 2011 @ 08:18 AM)
Oh this DOES sound exciting!

I agree, it's promising and exciting; I'm looking forward to a new "concept album," and this sounds like their masterpiece! cheer.gif But I don't like the subtext that it may be their last. sad.gif

QUOTE (tel @ May 6 2011, 08:23 AM)
really want to get it done while we still can.'...

anyone care to interpret

was thinking the exact same thing....

I don't think its necessary for geddy to throw in a "f*ck" or "motherf*cker" for every single interview he does. Sounds like he's only trying to convey that he's hardcore.

Anyway, this is just more "spirited" talk in regard to Clockwork Angels.. cool.gif

Edited by GeminiRising79

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ May 6 2011, 09:36 AM)
I don't think its necessary for geddy to throw in a "f*ck" or "motherf*cker" for every single interview he does. Sounds like he's only trying to convey that he's hardcore.

Anyway, this is just more "spirited" talk in regard to Clockwork Angels.. cool.gif

Shut the f**k up

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ May 6 2011, 09:54 AM)
I don't think its necessary for geddy to throw in a "f*ck" or "motherf*cker" for every single interview he does.  Sounds like he's only trying to convey that he's hardcore.

Shut the f**k up

z7shysterical.gif

anyone care to interpret

Neil's been quite vocal about the passage of time, and his, if not their, awareness of it.

While they still have it in them, while they still feel that passion, while they still are fit, while they still are sharp.

We should be prepared, this may be it.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ May 6 2011, 09:54 AM)
I don't think its necessary for geddy to throw in a "f*ck" or "motherf*cker" for every single interview he does.  Sounds like he's only trying to convey that he's hardcore.

Shut the f**k up

Thats fu**ing funny!

anyone care to interpret

Take a wild guess at what that means. They arent young men, and won't live forever. At this stage of their lives, something can happen to any one of them at any time, so they want to get it done before the unspeakable happens.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ May 6 2011, 08:36 AM)

Gently loving caress, man.

QUOTE (trenken @ May 6 2011, 12:48 PM)

anyone care to interpret

Take a wild guess at what that means. They arent young men, and won't live forever. At this stage of their lives, something can happen to any one of them at any time, so they want to get it done before the unspeakable happens.

sheesh,im hoping for at least 4 more albums/tours and i figure they are too.

What baffles me is that they always resisted repeating themselves as far as going back and doing record side long pieces and such. Most of us have wanted this for quite some time and suddenly just out of the blue they change their stripes? And they get more aggressive/progressive in their song writing. Nick R. by himself got them to do this? If he did I want to shake the guys hand. Wow.

QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ May 6 2011, 02:03 PM)
Geddy should say F-CK on CA. It'd be the first Rush album to have one of those "parental advisory" stickers on it lol

Really? Why?

Joking aside, one of the reasons I've always admired Rush's lyrics is because they don't need all that harsh language to get the emotion, feeling, etc. down. They're classy, not trashy.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ May 6 2011, 05:39 PM)
QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ May 6 2011, 02:03 PM)
Geddy should say F-CK on CA. It'd be the first Rush album to have one of those "parental advisory" stickers on it lol

Really? Why?

Joking aside, one of the reasons I've always admired Rush's lyrics is because they don't need all that harsh language to get the emotion, feeling, etc. down. They're classy, not trashy.

First off the man seems to be a joke poster around here. Second, yeah, it doesn't suit Rush to cuss. I wouldn't mind, but it's not gonna happen. I do respect them a lot for it yes.gif