Guilty Pleasure Music?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soni @ May 4 2011, 11:51 AM)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jXcIdC0TPic/SdDWQR-6uGI/AAAAAAAAAgw/9nYlWV_VHbI/s400/ASIA+-+Asia+1982+(+DELANTERA+).jpg

There's no need to feel guilty about liking this one, it's a good fuckking album, not nearly as wimpy as it's made out to be, and much more proggy than you'd expect, if say you'd dismissed it years ago as a prog-giants-selling-out-and-going-AOR record, which it's not. And there's great playing on there, especially from Howe and Palmer.

1022.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 4 2011, 07:59 PM)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jXcIdC0TPic/SdDWQR-6uGI/AAAAAAAAAgw/9nYlWV_VHbI/s400/ASIA+-+Asia+1982+(+DELANTERA+).jpg

There's no need to feel guilty about liking this one, it's a good fuckking album, not nearly as wimpy as it's made out to be, and much more proggy than you'd expect, if say you'd dismissed it years ago as a prog-giants-selling-out-and-going-AOR record, which it's not. And there's great playing on there, especially from Howe and Palmer.

1022.gif

I know! I love it!

It's on my turntable as I type.

Wildest Dream popcorn.gif

QUOTE (Soni @ May 4 2011, 02:04 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 4 2011, 07:59 PM)

1022.gif

I know! I love it!

It's on my turntable as I type.

Wildest Dream popcorn.gif

trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 4 2011, 01:59 PM)

1022.gif

goodpost.gif Great album.

Probably Dave Matthews...but Carter Beauford is the main reason...so that kind of negates it....

Hmmm...Jimmy Buffett? (but mostly when I'm in Florida or hanging on my deck in the summer)

I'm trying to think of what I listen to year round that would fall totally out of character?

Elton John! But only his 70's early 80's output...Anything recent is pretty zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.................

QUOTE (Oracle @ May 4 2011, 01:27 AM)
QUOTE (CMWriter @ May 4 2011, 12:55 AM)
Wasn't there a thread like this? laugh.gif
I have many pleasures but none of them guilty.
I stand by Lady Gaga and Frank Sinatra.
Actually, I think I might get a little bit closer to Sinatra.. ;D
(No, I kid, I kid. R.I.P. :C
I don't care if he's the most cliched jazz singer in the history of the multiverse! I love his voice and, dammit, he makes me swooon!)

Oh God, Frank Sinatra! I still need to rip a few CDs of his! Hey, wouldn't mind going dancing with me sometime would you? tongue.gif

If only jazz clubs still existed,

and if only you could go to prom with me. xD

All my guy friends are LAME and refuse to dance, let alone listen to amazing music like jazz or Sinatra or Rush for that matter (not to get off topic lol).

And -- what a coincidence, the theme for my school's prom this year is "Come Fly With Me". Fat chance they'll actually play that amazing, amazing tune, but if they did it would be the greatest prom ever. I mean, god forbid they play music you can actually dance to.

But, oh dear, I'm going off on a major tangent.

Point is, Sinatra + My Ears = NO SHAME!

QUOTE (fledgehog @ May 4 2011, 08:42 PM)
I'm amazed to see so many classic artists like Elton John, Billy Joel, Michael Jackson, Bob Marley, etc being thrown onto "guilty pleasure" lists O_o

Perhaps it's because they're "too mainstream" for an "enlightened" crowd like some here? tongue.gif

I say live and let live. Just because it's popular doesn't mean it can't still be appreciated and admired -- not to mention original!

I'm amazed to see so many classic artists like Elton John, Billy Joel, Michael Jackson, Bob Marley, etc being thrown onto "guilty pleasure" lists O_o

Agreed, that stuff rules.

All my guilty pleasure stuff is weird techno or foreign pop music.

QUOTE (Agent By-Tor @ May 4 2011, 10:07 PM)

Agreed, that stuff rules.

All my guilty pleasure stuff is weird techno or foreign pop music.

I can definitely understand certain eras of Billy Joel and Elton John being considered as "guilty pleasures".

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 4 2011, 03:20 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 4 2011, 12:33 PM)
Bob Marley as well. Good stuff!

In what freakin' world is Bob Marley considered a so-called "guilty pleasure"? wacko.gif

laugh.gif

I dunno...depends on the definition.

I was trying to think of anything outside the box as far as rock music goes.

For me, I love the stuff. So I don't feel "guilty" about any of it. biggrin.gif

I don't feel guilty about any music I listen to as long as there is some kind of melody and harmony in there.

John Denver. wub.gif

But ya know, I don't feel a bit guilty about liking him. I just figure most people don't.

Edited by HowItIs

I guess you could consider this a guilty pleasure:

Sometimes (like this morning), I find myself spending hours on youtube just watching Kiss videos and interviews. blush4.gif

I can't help it. They completely captured my imagination when I was 7, and there's still a part of me that thinks they're the coolest thing ever and larger than life superheroes...

The only thing I WON'T watch is any live videos of them with those imposters wearing Ace and Peter's make-up. rage.gif

Riverdance. Well, that and Lord of the Dance. I haven't watched the shows in probably 15 years, but I still love the music. I'm a sucker for that kind of modern/classic celtic mashup.

That's the kind of thing that gets straight guys laughed at by their friends who won't admit they like it too, so I'll go with that as a "guilty pleasure" laugh.gif

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ May 3 2011, 10:38 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ May 3 2011, 08:10 PM)
Elton John
Duran Duran
Astroid Galaxy Tour

What's wrong with Elton John? unsure.gif

Or Duran Duran?

Most 80's New Wave/synth-rock and -pop, including all named above

Roxette

Some country

90's-era techno

Various 90's pop like Sixpence None The Richer, that kinda stuff

The Four Seasons

The Bee Gees

(yes, I like guys with high voices)

ABBA

Enya/Clannad

I went to see K.C. and the Sunshine Band this summer, that probably counts

These are just some of what I can think of off the top of my head...

...Then there are two (who I'm well over by now) that I'm far too embarrassed to admit I liked. I'll only own up if you can guess them. The only clue I'll give is that one once opened for the other at Saratoga in the early 90's when she was just becoming popular.

Signed,

Groove Is In The/Closer To The/Listen To Your Cheatin' Heart of Glass tongue.gif

Edited by 1 of the 7