Guest Musicians on CWA

The Owl

In the past few years Alex has been a guest musician on several other's band's projects... from Porcupine Tree, to Tiles...etc

I was wondering, if Rush were to have a guest musician on Clockwork Angels for say a guitar solo, or a guest vocal part who would you like to see appear on a Rush album, and you would think would fit in?

- I would love to see Steven Wilson come in and return the favor and lay down an acoustic or a rhythm part to a track where Alex is playing lead... or even a small vocal part or backing vocal part...

- I also think having Gavin Harrison's style of drumming might be interesting to hear on a Rush track..

Edited by The Owl

QUOTE (The Owl @ May 2 2011, 12:01 AM)
In the past few years Alex has been a guest musician on several other's band's projects... from Porcupine Tree, to Tiles...etc

I was wondering, if Rush were to have a guest musician on Clockwork Angels for say a guitar solo, or a guest vocal part who would you like to see appear on a Rush album, and you would think would fit in?

- I would love to see Steven Wilson come in and return the favor and lay down an acoustic or a rhythm part to a track where Alex is playing lead... or even a small vocal part or backing vocal part...

- I also think having Gavin Harrison's style of drumming might be interesting to hear on a Rush track..

I think a NP/GH drum duet would destroy the earth with sheer awsomeness.

Steven Wilson should return the favor that Alex gave on 'Fear of a Blank Planet' for Porcupine Tree. I would love to hear a Steven Wilson guitar solo in a Rush album!

QUOTE (The Owl @ May 1 2011, 05:01 PM)

ohmy.gif

Imagine that! Gavin played with KC and that was godly...

I can't believe what would happen if him and Neil played a simultaneous drum solo in the middle of the CA suite, if it does exist.

QUOTE (Perchance to Dream @ May 1 2011, 06:28 PM)
David Gilmour, but it would never happen.

http://www.protias.com/Pictures/Super%20Troopers/Mother%20of%20God.jpg

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 1 2011, 06:11 PM)

ohmy.gif

I can't believe what would happen if him and Neil played a simultaneous drum solo in the middle of the CA suite, if it does exist.

That would be cool, but to be honest Gavin would blow Neil away.

It is very hard to imagine other drummers, bass players or guitarists on a Rush album so I would tend to think about guest appearances by a vocalist or another instrument (remember Ben Mink or Ameeeee Mannnnnn). Another lady's voice might be interesting or WOW! what about some horns?? Wouldn't that be cool (or awkward). Edited by drbirdsong

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ May 1 2011, 08:01 PM)
It is very hard to imagine other drummers, bass players or guitarists on a Rush album so I would tend to think about guest appearances by a vocalist or another instrument (remember Ben Mink or Ameeeee Mannnnnn). Another lady's voice might be interesting or WOW! what about some horns?? Wouldn't that be cool (or awkward).

Horns on a Rush album...that might be the jazz Lerxst is looking for laugh.gif

If they go with another female vocalist, I think Cyndi Lauper would be a good pick.

QUOTE (Oracle @ May 1 2011, 07:04 PM)
QUOTE (drbirdsong @ May 1 2011, 08:01 PM)
It is very hard to imagine other drummers, bass players or guitarists on a Rush album so I would tend to think about guest appearances by a vocalist or another instrument (remember Ben Mink or Ameeeee Mannnnnn).  Another lady's voice might be interesting or WOW! what about some horns??  Wouldn't that be cool (or awkward).

Horns on a Rush album...that might be the jazz Lerxst is looking for laugh.gif

If they go with another female vocalist, I think Cyndi Lauper would be a good pick.

Cyndi Lauper? Sorry I brought the subject up.

I can see Rush using a female vocalist again. Maybe Ann or Nancy Wilson of Heart?

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 1 2011, 05:31 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 1 2011, 06:11 PM)

ohmy.gif

That would be cool, but to be honest Gavin would blow Neil away.

Yes, of course he would. But I'm saying if they both played different rhythms at the same time...not a battle. Like imagine them on the percussion section of a symphony laugh.gif you wouldn't need anyone else! And imagine this then: Gavin on acoustic and Neil on electric, a la mystic rhythms.

Now what about Maynard providing some backing vocals to make the darkest song on the album really stand out? Not any hardcore screams, but maybe a soft one or some of his famous whispers and sighs?

QUOTE (Zanadoo @ May 1 2011, 09:24 PM)
Would love to see some kind of symphony especially if this albums really is some sort of epic.

That might a good idea too. Maybe this time they could turn it up. I can barely hear the strings on Power Windows. They might as well be a synthesizer.

Rush with a symphony would be something. If you see the Yes Symphonic dvd there is a part we some of the string players said that they follow Alan White more than the conductor because the drummer maintains the pace so well. Image Neal in the center leading an entire symphony. What a visual that would be.

Oh, definitely Mike Portnoy. smile.gif

unsure.gif

ph34r.gif

tongue.gif

That comment could start a fight here. laugh.gif

Nobody. It just wouldn't be Rush if they had a guest musician other than a female support vocalist (Time Stand still). Any more than that would be just trying to get more people to buy the album.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 1 2011, 05:09 PM)
MJK could provide some sick vocals in certain parts of the songs.

I agree. MJK is an epic vocalist. A Rush/MJK song would be pretty sweet.