Make a rush album out of one song from every album

Steel Rat

The task is simple - choose one song from each Rush album, and make a masterpiece out of them. You don't have to do it in chronological order like I did, I just liked the concept of having it in chronological order.

If I were to craft an album out of each Rush album, it would have to have logical motion, with a reason for the position of each song; it wouldn't just be a random collection of my favorite Rush songs. I may have to burn this to a CD and decorate the crap out of its case.

My masterpiece will be a two-CD set.

SIDE ONE:

Rush - Before and After - Finding My Way or Working Man both work great as an opener for this album. Before and After would be incredibly interesting. It's a great song, and a smooth, dreamlike way to drift into an incredible album. I love the way it transitions into the "After" section of the song, it's like the curtain rising. It ends on an open note, which means it connects well with any song that would come after. Before and After is my choice.

Fly By Night - BB&B - Beneath, Between, and Behind fits extremely well after Before and After. BB&B is also just one've those songs that I'll never get sick of.

Caress of Steel - Bastille Day - This is tough, but I think I have to go with Bastille Day. At this point, the album is starting to feel too heavy, I need to find something lighter.

2112 - The Discovery/Presentation - Honestly, 2112 does not fit here. You can't just drop in an epic after Bastille Day, it makes no sense. On top of that, Epics never fit well in the middle of the album, it makes the epic seem unimportant, and an unimportant epic is just awkward. However, "The Discovery" fits well after the note that Bastille Day ends on, and it answers the need for a release of the tension. Plus, presentation fills the current void of wicked bad-ass guitar solo.

AFTK - Xanadu - Presentation's ending is just BEGGING for some ambience, as found in the opening of Xanadu.

Hemispheres - Circumstances - Xanadu kind've ends the way Cygnus II does, so I think it fits.

Perm Waves - Entre nous - Kicks ass.

Moving Pictures - Red Barchetta - provides some ambience after 2 powerful songs.

Signals - Losing It - Basically used as a way to bridge to the next song, that will end the half of the collection.

GUP - Between the Wheels - A good way to close the first half of an epic tale. I like the idea of having two sides, because if it was just one, then there would be a huge middle section, and there would be little room for tension and release. Between the Wheels closes out great, and leaves you DYING to move on to the next CD for more.

SIDE TWO (to be completed later):

Isn't the suspense intense?? What will happen to our heroes next time?? Will Jerry ever find his grandfather's false teeth?? All these answers and MORE when "Rush's awesome chronological collection of their songs" continues.

Edited by Steel Rat

SIDE TWO:

Power Windows - Manhattan Project - Continues with the air of desperacy that we were left with with Between the Wheels.

HYF - Mission - This is where the album decides to take a stand and fight, and struggles its way out of hopelessness. A spirit with a vision, a dream with a mission.

Presto - Red Tide - thus begins the tenuous back-and-forth as war breaks out, determined to end all injustice, once and for all.

Roll the Bones - Bravado - They were forced to eat one of Robin's minstrels.

Counterparts - Animate - Our heroes attempt a risky mission into the heart of the the necromancer's fortress. They will lose their lives, but in the end, this one last strike allows mankind to triumph over evil.

Test for Echo - Limbo - the spirits of the heroes realize that their story is over. They've fulfilled their life's duty, and they feel at peace. Their spirits ride off, never to be heard of again. WHATEVER HAPPENED TO MY TRANSYLVANIA TWIST??

Vapor Trails - Out of the Cradle - Represents the end of the movie/opera/musical, this song plays while the credits roll; the audience stretches, and exits the theater.

S&A - Hope - You get in your car on the way home, the story still deep in your mind. "Hope" represents this lingering effect of the album as a whole.

End of side 2.

Roll the Bones - Bravado - They were forced to eat one of Robin's minstrels.

rofl3.gif

I couldnt do one song from each album. it would drive me nuts trying to listen to it in the car and wanting to hear more than what I got. I do however have a 6 Disc Greatest Hits compilation in chronological order. LMAO It's great.

...I can't. I tried, but, after about an hour of arranging and rearranging the tracks, there was still no way to make them flow. Although, really, what else should I have expected of an attempt to sequence ~35 years' worth of music into a coherent album? Edited by StellarJetman

Like I said, you don't have to take the albums in chronological order

So this would kind of be like the Ultimate Yes?

Cool:

disc 1

If we're going for a greatest hits kind of approach:

Finding My Way

Fly By Night

Bastille Day

Closer to the Heart

La Villa Strangiato

The Spirit of Radio

YYZ

disc 2

Subdivisions

Distant Early Warning

The Big Money

Time Stand Still

The Pass

Roll the Bones

Stick it Out

Driven

Secret Touch

Far Cry

On the other hand, my personal track listing would be more like the following.. But first, just know that the tracks probably wouldn't flow well.. This is more of just my favorite track from each album:

(actually, thanks Steel Rat, I might have to burn something like this now that I lost my mp3 player.)

disc 1

Need Some Love

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

The Fountain of Lamneth

Lessons

A Farewell to Kings

The Trees

Different Strings

disc 2

The Camera Eye

The Analog Kid

Afterimage

Middletown Dreams

Prime Mover

Anagram (for Mongo)

Bravado

Double Agent

The Color of Right

Vapor Trail

Far Cry

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Apr 30 2011, 11:52 PM)
...I can't. I tried, but, after about an hour of arranging and rearranging the tracks, there was still no way to make them flow. Although, really, what else should I have expected of an attempt to sequence ~35 years' worth of music into a coherent album?

That's what I was thinking.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ May 1 2011, 05:52 AM)
QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Apr 30 2011, 11:52 PM)
...I can't.  I tried, but, after about an hour of arranging and rearranging the tracks, there was still no way to make them flow.  Although, really, what else should I have expected of an attempt to sequence ~35 years' worth of music into a coherent album?

That's what I was thinking.

It was dreadfully hard for me, too. I still cringe at some points, like xanadu to circumstances, but I find that the final product was extremely rewarding.

Working Man

Fly By Night

Bastille Day

Something for Nothing

Xanadu

La Villa Strangiato

Freewill

Limelight

Subdivisions

Red Sector A

Marathon

Time Stand Still

The Pass

Roll the Bones

Between Sun and Moon

Dog Years smile.gif

Earthshine

Summertime Blues

Hope

Caravan

I think that is a good balance. It has lighthearted songs, serious songs, songs about science/history/fantasy, two instrumentals, some very optimistic ones, and the scariest and most nightmare inducing Rush song ever.

Rat, I made the album and am listening to it now. I gotta be honest, it rocks. I've been trying to do something like this for a while and this is really well done.

trink39.gif

working man

beneath, between and behind

the fountain of lamneth

something for nothing

cygnus x-1

hemispheres

natural science

the camera eye

the analog kid

between the wheels

marathon

turn the page

the pass

dreamline

cut to the chase

driven

earthshine

we hold on

bu2b

QUOTE (IChoseFreeWill @ May 1 2011, 03:48 PM)
I think that is a good balance. It has lighthearted songs, serious songs, songs about science/history/fantasy, two instrumentals, some very optimistic ones, and the scariest and most nightmare inducing Rush song ever.

"Dog Years"?

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ May 1 2011, 05:03 PM)

"Dog Years"?

Nope- Red Sector A

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ May 1 2011, 05:03 PM)

"Dog Years"?

laugh.gif

ok, some of these are just my favorites, but i did try to make it blend into a cohesive album. good flow.

Finding My Way - perfect opening song.

Anthem

Bastille Day

Something For Nothing

Farewell To Kings - Wanted Xanadu, but this one is a little more upbeat, fits with what i already picked.

Hemispheres - EPIC.

Jacob's Ladder - slow, but still rocks your socks off.

Vital Signs - bass solo!

The Analog Kid

Between the Wheels - The Enemy Within is a close 2nd! was hard to pick.

Mystic Rhythms - again, Marathon was a close 2nd.

Force Ten - only song i can stand from this album lol

Show Don't Tell - almost put my favorite, Presto, but this fit better.

Dreamline

Cold Fire

Test For Echo

Earthshine - Ceiling Unlimited almost made it!

Far Cry

BU2B - had to end on a heavy note!

good?

I went in order...

Finding My Way

Making Memories

The Fountain of Lamneth

Something For Nothing

A Farewell To Kings (this album was the toughest choice by far)

Circumstances

The Spirit Of Radio

Witch Hunt

The Weapon

Between The Wheels

Marathon

Prime Mover

Chain Lightning

Bravado

Cut To The Chase

Resist

One Little Victory

The Seeker

We Hold On (great closer).

So if we're doing favorites album to album, I guess I'll cast my vote...

Working Man

Fly By Night

Bastille Day

Something for Nothing

Closer to the Heart

Hemispheres

The Spirit of Radio

Red Barchetta

Subdivisions

Red Lenses

Marathon

Time Stand Still

The Pass

Roll the Bones

Stick it Out

Half the World

One Little Victory

The Larger Bowl

These are just my favorites, maybe tomorrow I'll post a cohesive album.

QUOTE (Zanadoo @ May 1 2011, 04:52 PM)
Rat, I made the album and am listening to it now. I gotta be honest, it rocks. I've been trying to do something like this for a while and this is really well done.

trink39.gif

I appreciate it, bro. trink39.gif It's cool that someone else enjoyed it. I'm glad you "get it."

It was pretty painful for me to not include ANY of the epics... but I had to be honest, they wouldn't fit.

Maybe you could break the rules a bit and include a few more than just one song from a given album. In fact, you can pretty much break the rules however you want. Just build a cool story out of Rush songs. Throw in some tension & release, some kickass moments, some unexpected turns, some outright weird stuff, etc.