A Clockwork Orange

D3strukt

Incredible book and amazing movie. When I read the book for the first time about 30 years ago, my copy didn't have a glossary. I had to figure it out on my own. I didn't even know there was a glossary for it. It was wild! I reread it a couple of years after it and that's when I discovered that most copies come with a glossary for the Russian stuff in the book. I'm kind of glad I read it without the glossary my first time.

This is one of my favourite books of all time. I had this crazy idea years ago to compile an etymological dictionary of Nadsat. I'm torn between wishing that I'd done it, and thinking that it's probably just as well that I didn't :LOL:

The movie is one of the very few movies in history based on a great book that lives up to the book. I sincerely hope that no one ever tries to remake it because I can't help but think that they'd only mess it up.

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 1

I haven't read the book. The movie is very disturbing.

Is it a simple read (simple as in can I read it quickly, like Steinbeck, or do I have to "work" the prose, like Dickens - not simple as in is it written for a 4th grader)? :unsure:

it's way easier if you've seen and understood the movie, that way you shouldn't have to flip to the glossary so often

Thanks. I'll pick up a copy. :)

I haven't read the book. The movie is very disturbing.

Is it a simple read (simple as in can I read it quickly, like Steinbeck, or do I have to "work" the prose, like Dickens - not simple as in is it written for a 4th grader)? :unsure:

I'd say that it's a challenging read, but once you fall into the rhythm of it, very compelling and worth it.