A Clockwork Orange

D3strukt

I read it about 25 years ago and loved it. The invented language starts to make a kind of sense to you after awhile, and then you don't have to keep checking the glossary all the time.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Apr 29 2011, 09:33 AM)
http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad203/swisscheevious/clockwork_orange.png

I can't read this without the Malcolm McDowell voice...

Love it, this has put me in a mind to watch it.....so i will biggrin.gif

cat.gif milky

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 29 2011, 01:37 AM)
I read it about 25 years ago and loved it. The invented language starts to make a kind of sense to you after awhile, and then you don't have to keep checking the glossary all the time.

Wow! Aren't we the same age too?

I read this book about 25 years and I loved it! The glossary helped a lot but once you get going and understand the language it's a masterpiece.

I actually have a Burgess signed copy.

One of the greatest movies in the world too. Only Kubrick could have done it.

So, is the final chapter, essential the hospital scene in the movie, where Alex is having a raep ti3m in the clouds with that girl, and then says "i'm cured all right"? (Hasn't seen the movie in about a year.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Apr 29 2011, 08:38 PM)
So, is the final chapter, essential the hospital scene in the movie, where Alex is having a raep ti3m in the clouds with that girl, and then says "i'm cured all right"? (Hasn't seen the movie in about a year.

Sounds about right.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Apr 29 2011, 04:38 PM)

Nope. In the final "lost" chapter Alex basically decides to change his ways and thinks about settling down.

The last chapter was left out by the American publisher, the version Kubrick based his screenplay on.

Burgess wrote the book in three acts of 7 chapters each. The American edition only had 20 chapters.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 29 2011, 07:41 PM)

Nope. In the final "lost" chapter Alex basically decides to change his ways and thinks about settling down.

The last chapter was left out by the American publisher, the version Kubrick based his screenplay on.

Burgess wrote the book in three acts of 7 chapters each. The American edition only had 20 chapters.

I actually really enjoyed that missing chapter however I like the way the film ended too.

"Best Of Both Worlds!"

Signed,

Van Hagar unsure.gif

QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Apr 29 2011, 10:17 AM)

I can't read this without the Malcolm McDowell voice...

Neither can I.

I guess I read it about 20 years ago for a Film and Lit class. I find both so mind bogglingly satisfying.

I read this at the age of 12 or 13, one of the first "books for adults" I ever read. It really turned me on to reading and science fiction in general. I really loved having to go back to the glossary on almost every page.

Both the movie and the book are in my top 100 easily.

QUOTE (burgeranacoke @ May 2 2011, 10:46 PM)
I read this at the age of 12 or 13, one of the first "books for adults" I ever read. It really turned me on to reading and science fiction in general. I really loved having to go back to the glossary on almost every page.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ May 2 2011, 10:19 PM)
QUOTE (burgeranacoke @ May 2 2011, 10:46 PM)
I read this at the age of 12 or 13, one of the first "books for adults" I ever read.  It really turned me on to reading and science fiction in general. I really loved having to go back to the glossary on almost every page.

goodpost.gif

Top tens for me...one of the greatest pieces of art easily. trink39.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Apr 30 2011, 02:29 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 29 2011, 07:41 PM)

I actually really enjoyed that missing chapter however I like the way the film ended too.

"Best Of Both Worlds!"

Signed,

Van Hagar unsure.gif

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Burgess (author) refused to watch the film due to the 'clipped' ending. I also thought I read that the 'clipped' ending was geared intentionally to the American mindset [it was thought that yanks would prefer that as opposed the complete growing up of the character in Chapter 21].

I loved both the book and the film yes.gif