The Sense O' Clock News

Nate2112

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 28 2011, 05:47 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Apr 28 2011, 08:43 PM)
So what did happen with the Admins, Mods, flan case and the bag of icing sugar..?

Oh, there was chafing, some superficial burns, a court case and a LOT of counselling.

And, yes, a little bit of love. That's where the icing sugar came in.

You forgot the muskrats.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Apr 28 2011, 05:53 PM)
It couldn't be worse than the link I posted. Then again, it's politics, so probably.

I missed what happened with that. Sounds like it was brutal, dare I ask?

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Apr 28 2011, 07:01 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Apr 28 2011, 05:53 PM)
It couldn't be worse than the link I posted. Then again, it's politics, so probably.

I missed what happened with that. Sounds like it was brutal, dare I ask?

D3strukt posted a link to a video that was inappropriate for pretty much any online community except for 4chan. But enough about that. wink.gif

I wasn't much older than Nate is when I first joined. Probably wasn't a good idea. I said a lot of stupid things (not that I don't do that anymore...), and the internet is unfortunately kind of a permanent record. So if Nate does get access, I'd just caution him about that.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 28 2011, 12:09 PM)
Nate, I'll be honest -- you might be too young for SOCN. Just looking out for you.

I'd like the opinions of current SOCN people about whether someone who just turned 13 is too young for in there.

Even I feel too young for it laugh.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 28 2011, 03:34 PM)
QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Apr 28 2011, 02:14 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 28 2011, 03:09 PM)
Nate, I'll be honest -- you might be too young for SOCN. Just looking out for you.

I'd like the opinions of current SOCN people about whether someone who just turned 13 is too young for in there.

No on 13 year olds. You would be accused of trying to influence their political thinking at such a young age.

tongue.gif

I know you sure would... poisoning his mind tongue.gif

People should be at least 30 before they can join, at least then they'd have had some real world experience and not living on all these hoop dreams the left paint sarcasm.gif

If people had to be at least thirty, the board would have to be renamed "People susceptible to a mid-life crisis within 10 years talking about politics". I've been following politics since the 2004 American elections. Mind you, the way I treat information has greatly changed since then, but I've been fairly well informed on at least Canadian politics since then.

Here's a thought. Can you give Nate limited access for a bit - let him look around, read a few threads, but no posting? And maybe decide from there?

Just a suggestion. He seems quite mature; until someone else looked at his age, I didn't know.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Apr 28 2011, 07:26 PM)

No on 13 year olds. You would be accused of trying to influence their political thinking at such a young age.

tongue.gif

People should be at least 30 before they can join, at least then they'd have had some real world experience and not living on all these hoop dreams the left paint sarcasm.gif

If people had to be at least thirty, the board would have to be renamed "People susceptible to a mid-life crisis within 10 years talking about politics". I've been following politics since the 2004 American elections. Mind you, the way I treat information has greatly changed since then, but I've been fairly well informed on at least Canadian politics since then.

thanks for making me feel old... I thought at 31 I was still pretty young, but now I'm almost at a mid-life crisis tongue.gif

QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ Apr 28 2011, 08:59 PM)

tongue.gif

thanks for making me feel old... I thought at 31 I was still pretty young, but now I'm almost at a mid-life crisis tongue.gif

I'm 43. Imagine how I feel. (So far, no midlife crisis. Just the normal kind).

Im encouraged a young whipper snapper like Nate is even interested in what goes on in there. Honestly I haven;t see any real personal attacks, and isnt that one of the rules anyhow?

Let him join. He can bail if it doesnt appeal to him later. Just cause he can go in doesnt mean he will.

QUOTE (briremo @ Apr 28 2011, 09:54 PM)
Im encouraged a young whipper snapper like Nate is even interested in what goes on in there. Honestly I haven;t see any real personal attacks, and isnt that one of the rules anyhow?

Let him join. He can bail if it doesnt appeal to him later. Just cause he can go in doesnt mean he will.

True, true. But it's not about the attacking or how "rough" it may get. There are often times when very adult conversations appear. And I don't mean "the big kids are talking now" I mean explicit terms, detailed discussion, a few issues that have very mature inplications. Like I said before, I joined when I was slightly older than Nate and even then I found myself sometimes going huh.gif at something someone said, and then I end up googling it and so on and so forth.

Seriously; am I missing something here? What's so brutal in there? A little name calling, some heated rhetoric, RReb... What reason do we really have to bar someone based on their age??

Every school I've ever been in was a far more brutal place than SOCN. I don't see why this is an issue.

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 28 2011, 09:04 PM)

tongue.gif

I didn't mean it that way. Statistically speaking, the average lifespan of a human in North America is about 80. Thus a midlife crisis would be by definition would be at about 40. Age has nothing to do with things anymore. I know people, not personally, who are 60 and still go to concerts, play instruments and run around on stage like 20 year olds.......oh wait.

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

Edited by usb_connector

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Apr 28 2011, 11:21 PM)
Seriously; am I missing something here? What's so brutal in there? A little name calling, some heated rhetoric, RReb... What reason do we really have to bar someone based on their age??

Every school I've ever been in was a far more brutal place than SOCN. I don't see why this is an issue.

My feelings exactly.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Apr 29 2011, 12:08 AM)
There's nothing bad in there!!!

It's a bunch of nerdy Rush fans squabbling over details of minutia, calling each other 'poo-poo heads' for disagreeing!
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

laugh.gif rofl3.gif applaudit.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 29 2011, 01:04 AM)

tongue.gif

I'm nearly 40 - I feel old... tongue.gif

Seriously, though, I'm too faint-hearted to even have a quick glimpse into SOCN, even though I've seen the rules...

As long as he understands that some really immature stuff goes on there as well as "adult" stuff. That's one reason I don't do much in there. From what I've seen there are only handful of TRF members in that forum who can handle a civil debate. Which I prefer. And life's too short to look at people's faces pasted on horse's butts. eyesre4.gif

Look, I certainly didn't mean to give the impression to Nate or any of our non-SOCNers that our politics forum is a haven for debauchery, bloodletting, goat sex, KKK keggers, force-feeding scrambled eggs to chickens, poetry reading, cutting the brake lines on wheelchairs, or Nickelback listening parties. It's not THAT bad, it really isn't. Seriously, none of us in there actually like poetry....

But discussion of politics and religion can bring out the bad side in some people. It's why many boards don't allow it, and why we have our politics section isolated. I'm not sure I want to see a kid who just turned 13 running around the board screaming REDRUM after only a week in there. (Just kidding, Nate. laugh.gif)

I'm pretty sure Invisi and Alex were the youngest people we've ever had in SOCN -- both of them were 14-1/2 when they made their first posts in there (I looked it up). And both those guys now question whether it was a good idea to go in there that early, and both of them were REALLY mature for that age. And on top of that, I think there's a big difference between 13 and 14-1/2 when it comes to discussing politics and arguing about religion. But that's just my opinion.

In all fairness, SOCN is pretty well-mannered compared to some political forums I've seen. Anyway, we mods will talk more about sacrificing Nate to Satan on his first nite in SOCN letting Nate check out SOCN.