The Royal Wedding

SeamusWiles

Since I come from English descent, I find some interest in it, but I doubt I'll watch it. It does provide some relief from the everyday stuff.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 27 2011, 09:28 PM)
Since I come from English descent, I find some interest in it, but I doubt I'll watch it. It does provide some relief from the everyday stuff.

yes.gif i LUV the Jane Austin stories! wub.gif

it stirs something in me. trink39.gif

I am of Scottish ancestry and couldn't give less a shit about it.

Ok, being serious now. I'm going to watch it. It's not a very normal occurrence and definitely not something one thinks about. Obviously I'm getting my sleep on Thursday night since my mom is waking up at 3 AM to watch it. I'm not overly ecstatic about it, but I'm not completely ignorant of it either.

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Apr 28 2011, 04:44 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 27 2011, 09:28 PM)

yes.gif i LUV the Jane Austin stories! wub.gif

it stirs something in me. trink39.gif

Errrrr Dude, she like so didn't come from Texarse.

I'll be watching the back of my eyes seeing it's at like 4am here. Even if it were convenient, I'd rather go watch the grass grow... or maybe paint a fence and watch the paint dry.

Frankly the idea of a King and Queen in a modern progressive society baffles me. What exactly is the purpose of a royal family? Maybe I don't get it.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 28 2011, 09:47 AM)
Frankly the idea of a King and Queen in a modern progressive society baffles me. What exactly is the purpose of a royal family? Maybe I don't get it.

Like we don't have our own version in the US? The difference is that you buy your way into ours.

Take the White House, for instance. The Presidential home was not originally intended to be a huge palatial estate. I really think some aspects of it show a touch of "monarchy-envy". Sure, the demands of the job and the security necessitate it to some extent, but the opulence is sheer Royalty. A chandelier that takes a staff two days to clean? Yeah, see my point?

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 28 2011, 09:59 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 28 2011, 09:47 AM)

Like we don't have our own version in the US? The difference is that you buy your way into ours.

Take the White House, for instance. The Presidential home was not originally intended to be a huge palatial estate. I really think some aspects of it show a touch of "monarchy-envy". Sure, the demands of the job and the security necessitate it to some extent, but the opulence is sheer Royalty. A chandelier that takes a staff two days to clean? Yeah, see my point?

Sort of. There is aristocracy in this country but not the type that has been generational like England. Here it is solely based on money.

I will probably take the day off from work to watch it - since it will be Friday anyway, giving myself a three day weekend - rare for me, anyway.

This is a happy thing. So tired of all the BS of everything else lately. I watched Charles and Diana as a child, and I'll be watching tomorrow. If you don't want to watch it, don't and if you do trink39.gif

I will watch SOME of it. I'm DVR-ing it on BBCA, all 8 hours, because my mom asked me to. (I then have to transfer all eight hours to VHS so she can actually watch). This is the beauty of DVR - I can pick and choose and skip around.

I'm not getting up early to watch. The parts I am interested in are the traditions, the Horse Guards and all the pomp and circumstance. Not so much the guest list or who's wearing what.

The conductor for the Charlotte Symphony Orchestra in NC will be conducting the London orchestra for the ceremony. He's originally from London and now lives in Charlotte.

I have now had just about enough already. It is on EVERY f***ing channel. Oversaturation, much?

Well I've been an Anglophile since I was a child. The British Royal family is fascinating to me and I have lots of books about them. So, yeah, I'll be watching.

One thing to keep in mind is the tourist dollars the Royals bring in. This week probably made the British GNP rise 20%. Plus, it's not free to visit Royal properties. Ask me how I know... but I loved every minute of it wink.gif