Could Rush's epics be adapted for Film?

The Owl

I know someone's already written a trilogy based on 2112... But I'm reluctant to read it. I saw an excerpt and I wasn't too impressed. From the summaries it seemed kind of "fanboy-ish" with weird Rush references everywhere. Might have to read it some time, anyways.

Besides, I'm writing my own sort-of-inspired-by-interpretation-weird-sequel-novel-thing of 2112. Well, I was. I need to pick it back up since I haven't touched it since NaNoWriMo. tongue.gif But on the topic, I don't think it would translate into a screenplay very well at all. Most books, especially scifis, just don't.

In any case, I think "2112" would work better as a series rather than a film. SPACE OPERA PLZ?

Hemispheres, on the other hand, just could work as a film. But here's the thing: I have no doubt it would either turn out to be really epic... or really, really cheesy. A lot of Greek mythology movies turn out to be like the latter. But I love the idea of having the Cygnus X-1 and Hemispheres plots going on at the same time, switching back and forth until they finally converge.

Edited by CMWriter

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Apr 26 2011, 10:47 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Apr 26 2011, 08:42 PM)
Completely off rush topic...but the best conceptual masterpiece that should be made a film:

The lamb lies down on broadway.

This. 10000000% this.

I'm so surprised no one else has picked up on this. I say you and I take off and write a screenplay for this truly insane album yes.gif

I dont know about other songs but when ever I listen to Xanadu I picture a music video featuring Neil in my head here it is:

The opening volume swells and birds are heard, the camera comes into focus on a character scaling the side an icy mountian cliff. The camera focuses on the cliff and Neil hammers the an ice pick on the summit in just as the opening Xanadu riff kicks in.

There is more but I have to figure out how to put it in words.

hemispheres duology have to be two different movies, it would be strange first seen a science fiction movie and in the end a mithologic epic. In any case 2112 has the most clear history of all the rush epics, it can be a good movie.

QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Apr 27 2011, 08:17 AM)
QUOTE (apetersvt @ Apr 27 2011, 07:43 AM)

Now, let's try to imagine if La Villa Strangiato could be made into a film. tongue.gif

I'd shit bricks.

Holy shit ohmy.gif

Thinking about this just made me recall some strange memories and dreams and I feel like my life just changed unsure.gif

The thing is I'm serious...I have now realized the true genius of this masterpiece ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Apr 27 2011, 10:43 PM)

I'd shit bricks.

Holy shit ohmy.gif

Thinking about this just made me recall some strange memories and dreams and I feel like my life just changed unsure.gif

The thing is I'm serious...I have now realized the true genius of this masterpiece ohmy.gif

What?! You mean about $#!tt!ng bricks? This I gotta hear. Please continue.

QUOTE (ioc @ Apr 27 2011, 10:56 PM)

I'd shit bricks.

Holy shit ohmy.gif

biggrin.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Apr 26 2011, 09:17 PM)
I was thinking about concept albums and long conceptual songs (not just Rush) the other day, and was thinking how some of might be interesting to see if adapted for the big screen......

There are alot of different concept albums and songs out there that if you gave an example (say Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime) that would be fairly simple to adapt to the big screen... but for this topic lets just discuss the Rush Epics (since they do not have an actual concept album)

So what of Rush's epics do you think would be good if adapted for film?

I would love to see a film version of the Hemispheres duology.. And I would have the 2 stories (the one from book 1 and the one from book 2) running simultaneously, only to converge at the very end.....

2112 would be hard to adapt, but I think it is adaptable... the screenwriter would have to take alot of liberties, espically with the ambiguous ending.. or should it stay that way?

IMO, no sad.gif

Pink Floyds "The Wall" was a stretch back in the day. So much has changed since that moment in time.

... Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it done! ... But, I think we will have to suffice with the "Rush" documentary until the year 2112 at least. wink.gif

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Apr 27 2011, 08:43 AM)
Now, let's try to imagine if La Villa Strangiato could be made into a film. tongue.gif

I'm not even kidding, I would not hesitate to trip LSD to this movie.

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Apr 27 2011, 11:19 PM)
QUOTE (ioc @ Apr 27 2011, 10:56 PM)

I'd shit bricks.

Holy shit ohmy.gif

biggrin.gif yes.gif

+

QUOTE (Tinwoodsman @ Apr 28 2011, 12:44 AM)

Pink Floyds "The Wall" was a stretch back in the day. So much has changed since that moment in time.

... Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it done! ... But, I think we will have to suffice with the "Rush" documentary until the year 2112 at least.  wink.gif

Wow! That totally would be trippy.

"All in all we just keep...$#!tting bricks on the wall"

Back in college I wrote an outline for an animated movie that would use most or all of the music from 2112 through Hemispheres, side 1--and in chronological order (La Villa would be played during the credits). The story line expounded from the 2112 story and the Cygnus songs, with the shorter songs adding episodic transitions for the main character's development. A lot of music would have to be crammed in there, and using all of those songs would seem heavy handed. Pretty fun thinking it all up, but man that would be a long cartoon.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Apr 28 2011, 07:56 AM)
I can see 2112 becoming a very short musical. However, they would have to call it something other than a musical. I hate musicals.

Queen calls We Will Rock You a "rock theatrical" for this reason cool.gif

And Christine, I like the idea of a converging Cygnus Voyage and Hemispheres!

I would like to see a movie heavily based on a Rush song. 2112 would be awesome.