How do you like your steak cooked?

The Owl

How do you like to cook/ have your steak cooked?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like to cook/ have your steak cooked?

• Overcooked
    • Well Done (No Pink, fully cooked)
    • Medium Well (slight pink in middle)
    • Medium (Solid Pink Throughout)
    • Med-Rare (Warm Red middle)
    • Rare (Cool Red Center)
    • Tartare (raw)
    • Pittsburgh style (Burnt and crisp on outside, rare on inside)

I voted medium rare, but I like it between rare and medium rare..

There is a point when cooking a steak where the steak stops being fleshy/chewy and gains the texture of cooked meat, while still being a good dark pink...... it is at this point where I like my steak cooked.. And that's about halfway between med rare and rare..

Another good guideline is right at the point where the fat becomes edible.. no fooling a rare steak will still have hard and undercooked fat... right at that point where the fat becomes cooked and edible matches the other guideline mentioned above.... once again right at that in between med rare and rare.

Though I would like to try a Pittsburgh style steak... but I grill on charcoal and I think you need a good flattop grill that you can get to a good high heat to make a steak that way.

Ya_Big_Tree likes to set the steak on fire until it's nothing but a smoldering pile of carbon, then she eats it with a little pepper.

I, on the other hand, love it medium. Too rare and it's squishy and chewy. Too done and it's leathery and dry. Medium is the perfect combination of texture, moisture, and flavor! yes.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 26 2011, 09:19 PM)
I just eat the cow alive unsure.gif

laugh.gif

I've been known to tell the waiter to "scrape the hair off and just walk past the grill on the way to the table"!

It sort of depends on the cut of meat, though. If you've got something like a ribeye, with a lot of marbling/higher fat content, it's better medium rare. Lean cuts like filet? Oh yeah, let it bleed.

Lamb is RUINED if it's cooked much past rare.

Medium well. If it's done just right, the juices and meat mix perfectly. I never liked well done, but I'm good if it's medium. Medium rare is iffy for me, seeing as how I don't like the meat to moo at me.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Apr 26 2011, 07:36 PM)
Ya_Big_Tree likes to set the steak on fire until it's nothing but a smoldering pile of carbon, then she eats it with a little pepper.

I, on the other hand, love it medium. Too rare and it's squishy and chewy. Too done and it's leathery and dry. Medium is the perfect combination of texture, moisture, and flavor! yes.gif

z7shysterical.gif

Well ya... but I also have it with my trusty bottle of A1 Sauce... ya it's that good. wink.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Apr 26 2011, 08:01 PM)

There is a point when cooking a steak where the steak stops being fleshy/chewy and gains the texture of cooked meat, while still being a good dark pink...... it is at this point where I like my steak cooked.. And that's about halfway between med rare and rare..

This. So hard to get this except at a good steak restaurant.

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 26 2011, 10:39 PM)
I've been known to tell the waiter to "scrape the hair off and just walk past the grill on the way to the table"!

z7shysterical.gif

Medium well.

Juicy = GOOD smile.gif

Bloody = Not good sad.gif but I'll eat it....

Still alive = NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo.............. bolt.gif

Edited by Workaholic Man

Aw, I'm the only one who voted raw! *sad face*

I like my cow mooing back at me. I once went to a restaurant and they actually forgot to brown one side so one side was browned and the other side hadn't even touched the burned.

The question is, did I eat it? Well... ph34r.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Apr 27 2011, 08:58 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Apr 26 2011, 08:01 PM)

There is a point when cooking a steak where the steak stops being fleshy/chewy and gains the texture of cooked meat, while still being a good dark pink......  it is at this point where I like my steak cooked..  And that's about halfway between med rare and rare..

This. So hard to get this except at a good steak restaurant.

This. The best cut, bloody... oh god it's like eating butter.

QUOTE (burgeranacoke @ Apr 28 2011, 02:15 PM)
The better the steak, the rarer I like it, so most restaurants, medium to medium rare.
They usually have prime or choice. If the quality is "select" aw just well done is fine, I will find some sauce.

The USDA guidelines are vague.... If you shop around you can find a select steak with more marble than a choice steak....depending on where you buy your beef....

But you're right... the more marble the broader range you have with it.... If you have a select steak you don't want to go above medium before it is too tough and hard to eat... but with the more marble say like in a choice steak it would taste better even if you cook it to well done.

Marbling doesn't necessarily make a steak any more tender or flavorful. If the meat is a dark red colour instead of a lighter, more "normal" red, that is an indication that the animal, before slaughter, was under a lot of stress. Stress releases adrenalin hormones, which initiate the flight-or-fight response, and causes more blood to be released into the muscles than in other organs, hence the darker red colour. Dark red meat is tougher and stringer than meat from calmer beef cattle Edited by burgeranacoke