Help, please!

Good,bad,andrush

I'm in a huge dilemma and only rush fans can understand.

They asked me to enroll in a doctor preparation program that is completely paid for in the summer. It is supposed to be a very good program and my mom wants me to go. However, the Rush concert in my area is at this time, and I just can't miss it. Rush will stop touring soon and I'd literally be depressed forever if I didn't see them as many times as I can. I don't have much money, and both times I saw rush I had really bad tickets really far back. This time I can afford slightly better seats, and I don't want to miss this opportunity. I don't even want to be a doctor, and my mom doesn't understand how important that is to me.

I don't know what to choose. Have any of you been in a similar situation? Both times I saw rush I wasn't as into them as I am now, so it's important I see them. If I take the program, I save a lot of college money and all that drama. But if I take it and don't see Rush I just won't be happy and it won't mean much to me anyway. I'm sure some of you can relate...

I really don't know if I'm asking for help or just venting, but either way, please tell me what you would do.

Aside from the fact that you should already have your ticket if you want a good seat. I'd consider the following: if you don't want to be a doctor, what do you want to be? If it takes more than 30 seconds to answer than you probaly don't really know. If you don't know then I would go to the doctor thing. If you know what you want to do and are absolutely sure about it, I'd go for the concert (only if seats were excellent. meaning first 20 rows on the floor or first 3 sections just above the floor).

I'd do school. But that's coming from an 18-year old in a prestigious Engineering program

who's paying 10 000 a term. Love to get education for free ...

Honestly, what it comes down to is what you want to do. Don't make it a decision about

Rush vs. program. Make it a choice of whether you want to do the program or not. The boys

are still young. They will be back. I've seen them 4 times now, because I'm afraid they won't

come back. But after seeing them the other night, they'll have at least 1 more tour.

If you don't want to be a doctor, don't do it. But don't just sit on your butt, find

something else for you to do and accomplish in life, ok? smile.gif

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Apr 21 2011, 07:49 PM)
Aside from the fact that you should already have your ticket if you want a good seat. I'd consider the following: if you don't want to be a doctor, what do you want to be? If it takes more than 30 seconds to answer than you probaly don't really know. If you don't know then I would go to the doctor thing. If you know what you want to do and are absolutely sure about it, I'd go for the concert (only if seats were excellent. meaning first 20 rows on the floor or first 3 sections just above the floor).

I'd have to disagree. If you don't know what you want to do, find a school that holds

a general program, where you take classes and declare your major after ward. Don't just

wait to figure it out, work for it! Some people know what they want to do, some don't.

Just don't expect it to find you first. smile.gif

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Apr 21 2011, 06:15 PM)
I don't even want to be a doctor....

This should be the only factor in your decision. Are you SURE that you don't want to be a doctor? You had better be really, really sure.

Your mother's feelings don't matter.

A rock concert doesn't matter.

The future status of a rock band doesn't matter.

All that matters is YOUR LIFE/YOUR CAREER and what you want to do with it. If you skip this educational opportunity, you may regret it for the rest of your life.

Good luck. 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Padfoot @ Apr 21 2011, 07:58 PM)
QUOTE (usb_connector @ Apr 21 2011, 07:49 PM)

I'd have to disagree. If you don't know what you want to do, find a school that holds

a general program, where you take classes and declare your major after ward. Don't just

wait to figure it out, work for it! Some people know what they want to do, some don't.

Just don't expect it to find you first. smile.gif

They way he's describing this it's some sort of ECA/summer schooling kind of thing. I'm studying to be a doctor, so I'd jump at it if I were in his shoes, but I've pretty well known what I've wanted to be since I was 15 (generally anyways, but all of the ideas required a phd in medicine).

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 21 2011, 06:57 PM)
Two questions.

What will you be doing in this doctor program if you go, and how long does it last for?

And, how many times have you seen Rush?

Hands on training with surgeons for one week. Both the rush connects in my area take time here.

I'm 17 and have seen Rush twice. But I got into them like I am now after the second concert.

I really don't want to be a doctor. I am a writer and have taken on several journalism programs and will be doing some in the summer that don't conflict. I know there's not much money to be made there, but I'd be a lot happier. I'd also love to go into computer or video game design, since I'm good at that type of stuff and I enjoy it. My mom is an English teacher and she used to be a professor at the local university. She says she enjoyed that more than high school teaching and that the pay was better. So I'm considering that too. I don't want to get married until my thirties if I ever do, so I won't need that much money since I'll be living on my own for a while. I kinda have my own plan already set, and it has nothing to do with doctors.

But Rush is very important to me, and I just have to see them. I rarely ever do anything enjoyable in my life, and the one time I ask my mother if I can go out, she wants me to do this program. I don't even go out with friends anymore because she found out some are potheads. I don't do anything normal kids do to have fun, except read, write, and listen to and play music. And the only reason my mom let's me be in a band is because my guitarist is a great friend and my (trolling) drummer is my half-cousin. We only play on weekends. So I really don't get it. I never go out...and the one time I ask her for an opportunity like this I can't.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 21 2011, 10:14 PM)
QUOTE (snowdogged @ Apr 21 2011, 10:02 PM)
If you are sure that you do not want to be a doctor or something else in the medical field then I do not see how it will benefit you much.

Exactly what I was thinking.

x3. If you were hell-bent on being a doctor, I'd do the program. Maybe. What counts is your undergraduate grades and MCAT scores. It's highly unlikely a summer program you did in high school is going to decide whether you get into med school.

Sounds like Mom wants you to be a doctor. While you do need to respect her, ultimately it is your career.

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 21 2011, 09:47 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 21 2011, 10:14 PM)
QUOTE (snowdogged @ Apr 21 2011, 10:02 PM)
If you are sure that you do not want to be a doctor or something else in the medical field then I do not see how it will benefit you much.

Exactly what I was thinking.

x3. If you were hell-bent on being a doctor, I'd do the program. Maybe. What counts is your undergraduate grades and MCAT scores. It's highly unlikely a summer program you did in high school is going to decide whether you get into med school.

Sounds like Mom wants you to be a doctor. While you do need to respect her, ultimately it is your career.

She wants me to be a doctor or a writer, or both. But she said she'd be happy if I was an English professor or a journalist, or something like that. I'm happy with that too.

School.

There are journalists who specialize in medical reporting, so it would give you a leg up in the work world if you had this type of experience.

Rush is touring next year...see them next year.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Apr 21 2011, 11:12 PM)
Choosing rush over this kind of opportunity would be a ridiculous choice in my opinion.  Rush is my favorite band but there is such a thing as priorities.

But if you have no interest in going into the medical field???? Rush completely notwithstanding here, let someone who IS on that track have that spot.

It would be like sending me to a hands-on program to be an accountant or something. Nothing against accountants, but I have never, and would never, want to be one.

Edited by Mara

I honestly thought this was a joke. But then I read through and, well, I see this is, ahem, serious.

I do hate to be the bucket of cold water here...but unless you can convince mom you do not want to do this doctor class for reasons OTHER than Rush, you do what mom says.

And a bit of gentle advice...you say you have a plan, but you want to be a writer, a teacher, a professor, a designer, and think you wont need much money (i'm afraid you'll be surprised about that one)because you dont want to marry young...that's not a plan, that's options. Lots of them, and more will present themselves. This medical class may open a door that changes everything.

RUSH will be back next year, you'll be 18. I think you have to sit this one out.

Just throwing it out there - any way you can do the program and work out going to a show that's farther away, but doesn't conflict? You may have to work out a deal with your folks money-wise, but it could be worth it. Have a well-though-out plan to pitch to them if you go with this.

At the tender age of 55+, i would say go to the concert. What? say my more mature, focused and working friends. Why oh why advise a 17 year old to pass up an opportunity such as this? (school)

Because he/she is right. They boys are getting older. They get tired because they play their little hearts out and give it ALL to the fans when they are up on stage. They will not be able to sustain it for a huge number of future years.

1978:I was going to nursing school and my classmate was in tears. She said the ONLY reason she was becoming a nurse was because her mom wanted her to. Worked with her in 1989-she had an unhappy marriage, hated her career, and eventually got diseases of the lungs impacted by the surgical anesthetic gasses exposed to for years at work...requiring lung transplant.

f**k it-have the most fun you can at age 17, grow into what you want to do. School will always be there. Live Rush will not.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 22 2011, 01:49 AM)
No matter how much we love, think about, and breathe them, Rush is a hobby. Make your decision from there.

goodpost.gif

Indeed. We should be honest. Rush is just a rock-n-roll band.....no matter how much we worship them.

Perspective, people, perspective. smile.gif

When we start putting a rock band above our lives, above school, above seeing our first child being born, etc., we really need to regain proper perspective.

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Apr 21 2011, 11:37 PM)
I honestly thought this was a joke. But then I read through and, well, I see this is, ahem, serious.

I do hate to be the bucket of cold water here...but unless you can convince mom you do not want to do this doctor class for reasons OTHER than Rush, you do what mom says.

And a bit of gentle advice...you say you have a plan, but you want to be a writer, a teacher, a professor, a designer, and think you wont need much money (i'm afraid you'll be surprised about that one)because you dont want to marry young...that's not a plan, that's options. Lots of them, and more will present themselves. This medical class may open a door that changes everything.

RUSH will be back next year, you'll be 18. I think you have to sit this one out.

Now is a good time to work on how you set your priorities. Even if you don't become a doctor, learning is not just about facts and knowledge, but about learning how to learn. Education has to come first.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 22 2011, 07:20 AM)
QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Apr 21 2011, 11:37 PM)
I honestly thought this was a joke.  But then I read through and, well, I see this is, ahem, serious.

And a bit of gentle advice...you say you have a plan, but you want to be a writer, a teacher, a professor, a designer, and think you wont need much money (i'm afraid you'll be surprised about that one)because you dont want to marry young...that's not a plan, that's options.  Lots of them, and more will present themselves.  This medical class may open a door that changes everything.

RUSH will be back next year, you'll be 18.  I think you have to sit this one out.

Now is a good time to work on how you set your priorities. Even if you don't become a doctor, learning is not just about facts and knowledge, but about learning how to learn. Education has to come first.

Well, yeah rush is a rock band I wouldn't put them over something like family. But being a doctor just isn't important to me.

But the thing with Rush is that it has been a huge learning experience for me. Bravado and Hemispheres, among other songs, have truly made me happy and changed the way I was living. Without having analyzed these songs, I don't think I'd have the desire to learn like I do. And I love learning, I really do. But not about medicine. It's a very rare thing for me. I hardly go to concerts.