Chicago Review

Another spectacular evening with Rush in Chicago last night. The boys were on fire (well, not literally...more on that below). I saw them last August at Northerly Island/Charter One Pavilion in Chicago and was blown away then - this one was even better (and I had front row in August!).

I was sitting (standing) in a Lower Level box, Geddy's side about half way back. Perfect view and the sound was reasonably clear for a big-box indoor arena.

Highlights:

- The place was packed. Some open seats way up in the back of the 300s, but definitely the biggest crowd I've seen for Rush at the UC. The crowd was loud and enthusiastic.

- Geddy made some nice shout outs to old-time Chicago Blackhawks (Stan Makita, Bobby Hull, etc.). He acknowledged the defending Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks (to tremendous roar), asked if we thought we'd win it all again this year (also to tremendous roar), then said "Well, good luck with that."

- Drum Solo. I don't know what Neil ate for dinner yesterday, but I've not seen him attack his solo with that much style and energy in, well, maybe ever. Case in point - on past viewings, when he triggers the little bell sound effect and spins the drum platform, he just stands up and sits back down to play the electronic kit. Last night while the platform rotated from acoustic to electronic, he continued to literally wail on the kit through the spin, not turning around until the kit stopped.

- Geddy apologizing for going a bit bass-crazy at the end of Leave That Thing Alone.

- Alex's La Villa Strangiato solo and totally shredding during Working Man

Other Observations

- While they had some of the "firework" pyro, they did not have any flame pots firing last night. Must be a local fire code restriction.

- It was great to see the "spider" lighting rig in all its glory. Last summer at Charter One it had to remain in place.

- Neil seemed to be having a GREAT time. Lots of smiles and interaction. I don't recall the song, but near the end of it Geddy was standing in front of the drum kit facing Neil jumping at the end of a series of instrumental passages. Whenever Geddy jumped, Neil also jumped up off his seat as well. It was cool seeing him do something out of character like that and obviously enjoy himself.

I only took a few pictures (with my really crappy Blackberry phone, so sorry about the quality).

http://www.rushisaband.com/graphics/ti/full/7494.jpg

http://www.rushisaband.com/graphics/ti/full/7496.jpg

http://www.rushisaband.com/graphics/ti/full/7495.jpg

Not a regular poster on here, but have a few minor thoughts......I agree with everything you said in the above post, the band itself played nearly flawless, and the stage show was as good as always.

It may have been where I was sitting (On the floor just left of the soundboard) but the crowd felt very artificial. You could tell a lot of the people around me weren't really big fans, probably bought their tickets from a broker, and were there because it may have been the place to be that night. I told my wife at the start of Camera Eye to watch the row in front of us disappear in about 3 minutes, and sure enough it was empty until 2112, when they all came running back. Noone sang along to anything outside of Tom Sawyer and Spirit of Radio.

It just didnt have the vibe the 18 other shows over the last 20 years I've been to had. It was almost like the "cool kids" that mocked us all for years for loving Rush had finally jumped on board with their 2011 tour shirts.

Oh well not the bands fault!

Great night...as it always is. I noticed Neil's energy as the others who reviewed have mentioned. He seemed real into it, and it added something to the overall experience.

As reviews go...I was on the floor. The sound was above average from where I sat (or where I stood). I'm a fan of the set. I was last year, and that hasn't changed. I did have some ideas of some things I would change after, but they were more conversational between myself and the guy I see every Rush show with rather than disappointment.

The whole thing really isn't lost on me. It's still a big night in my year, and I still hope...very much...that they can continue to do shows. I think maybe this makes it hard for me to say anything constructive on the negative side. For me, it was as great as the first time...and I'm building quite the resume over the many years beginning with the Presto tour.

If they have another in them, I will bring my daughter to a show. She's 6 right now. Our floor seats wouldn't have worked for her.

Anywho...nice night. As always, the people there were cool...no issues with anyone at any point before or after or during. Just positive.

QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Apr 13 2011, 08:13 AM)
Another spectacular evening with Rush in Chicago last night. The boys were on fire (well, not literally...more on that below). I saw them last August at Northerly Island/Charter One Pavilion in Chicago and was blown away then - this one was even better (and I had front row in August!).

I was sitting (standing) in a Lower Level box, Geddy's side about half way back. Perfect view and the sound was reasonably clear for a big-box indoor arena.

Highlights:
- The place was packed. Some open seats way up in the back of the 300s, but definitely the biggest crowd I've seen for Rush at the UC. The crowd was loud and enthusiastic.

- Geddy made some nice shout outs to old-time Chicago Blackhawks (Stan Makita, Bobby Hull, etc.). He acknowledged the defending Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks (to tremendous roar), asked if we thought we'd win it all again this year (also to tremendous roar), then said "Well, good luck with that."

- Drum Solo. I don't know what Neil ate for dinner yesterday, but I've not seen him attack his solo with that much style and energy in, well, maybe ever. Case in point - on past viewings, when he triggers the little bell sound effect and spins the drum platform, he just stands up and sits back down to play the electronic kit. Last night while the platform rotated from acoustic to electronic, he continued to literally wail on the kit through the spin, not turning around until the kit stopped.

- Geddy apologizing for going a bit bass-crazy at the end of Leave That Thing Alone.

- Alex's La Villa Strangiato solo and totally shredding during Working Man

Other Observations
- While they had some of the "firework" pyro, they did not have any flame pots firing last night. Must be a local fire code restriction.

- It was great to see the "spider" lighting rig in all its glory. Last summer at Charter One it had to remain in place.

- Neil seemed to be having a GREAT time. Lots of smiles and interaction. I don't recall the song, but near the end of it Geddy was standing in front of the drum kit facing Neil jumping at the end of a series of instrumental passages. Whenever Geddy jumped, Neil also jumped up off his seat as well. It was cool seeing him do something out of character like that and obviously enjoy himself.

I only took a few pictures (with my really crappy Blackberry phone, so sorry about the quality).

http://www.rushisaband.com/graphics/ti/full/7494.jpg

http://www.rushisaband.com/graphics/ti/full/7496.jpg

http://www.rushisaband.com/graphics/ti/full/7495.jpg

Love the last pic. Funny story...we had seats in Sect. 106/Row 4...looking directly across the main floor at the stage.

When we first arrived, we looked for our seats...not reading the aisle markings and just counting 4 rows back from the sound board (empty gap of seats in your picture).

Then PANIC set in...holy crap, we'll have a blocked view by the sound/lighting crew the entire show! Noooooo, then I decided to step back out in the aisle and double check....hey, what's this after the letters...DUH, numbered rows!

The view was perfect, could see across all the people on the main floor to the stage. In fact, the person in front of me did not show up until the 2nd set...Perfect! trink39.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 13 2011, 06:21 AM)
Neil impressed me the same way at MSG. He played with enthusiasm and aggression.

Obviously he hates playing live sarcasm.gif laugh.gif

Sounds wonderful!! It's a little more than 2 months until my first show. Can't wait!! 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Did anyone notice the show getting progressively louder?

The sound really seemed to ramp up when Tom Sawyer started and got a tad louder again as the night went on.

My friend also noticed this change, so hopefully we both weren't tweaked on Broken Spoke cheeseburgers

I hat the UC with a passion. That barn has waaaayyyy to high of a ceiling for rock bands.

Rosemont/Sears whatever it's called now was better for thse sorts of shows.

Actually, my perfect show would be in the Aragon or Riviera, which are acoustically ideal and only hold about 3000 2.gif fans

QUOTE (satchmothesnowdog @ Apr 15 2011, 07:53 PM)
Did anyone notice the show getting progressively louder?

The sound really seemed to ramp up when Tom Sawyer started and got a tad louder again as the night went on.
My friend also noticed this change, so hopefully we both weren't tweaked on Broken Spoke cheeseburgers

I hat the UC with a passion. That barn has waaaayyyy to high of a ceiling for rock bands.
Rosemont/Sears whatever it's called now was better for thse sorts of shows.
Actually, my perfect show would be in the Aragon or Riviera, which are acoustically ideal and only hold about 3000 2.gif fans

Broken Spoke?? That's where I had my pre-show dinner and drinks! Cool place...I hadn't been there before.

I didn't notice the volume change, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Long time no post...I was at that show. I agree that the show got louder, but was thinking that it changed volume before Tom Sawyer. At one point I thought I saw Alex indicate with his hand that he wanted it louder. I didn't like the increased volume and wonder why they did it. What's weird is that it wasn't like they amped it up and it kept on going like that. Seems like after the break it was down, then up again.

I don't think the crowd was so enthusiastic, but they didn't seem apathetic, either. People were very focused on the show and seemed to enjoy it, even though they weren't loud about it. What's odd is when people leave during the show during the seemingly boring parts. Why not see the entire show?

Seeing Rush at the Aragon would be incredible, but it obviously won't happen. The UC is WAY better than Tinley Park (Tweeter center or whatever it's called now).

Also long time, no post...I was there too (sec.313 row 11 seat 19)! My last attempt was the July 7th show at the Charter One Pavillion, and we all know how that turned out! angry.gif My boss and I drove 4 hours to Chicago, because they skipped Indianapolis both times around on this tour confused13.gif This was his 1st 2.gif concert, and my 16th on 14 tours... 1022.gif

Anyway, it was a great show! 1022.gif I noted several comments about how cool it was that they packed the United Center, anyone know how many where in attendance?

Edited by CygXanTor