MSG Tonight!

furie

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 11 2011, 10:51 AM)
they look like they really enjoy playing far cry but that song is just painful to listen to and even worse that it was the last song in the second set.

I LOVE Far Cry...

they are best at their heaviest I still think

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Apr 11 2011, 11:59 AM)
they look like they really enjoy playing far cry but that song is just painful to listen to and even worse that it was the last song in the second set.

I LOVE Far Cry...

they played 3 too many songs from s & a. 062802puke_prv.gif faithless and 3/4 of bu2b i was out getting a drink and a pretzel. the pretzels at msg always were bad. trink38.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 11 2011, 12:23 PM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Apr 11 2011, 11:59 AM)

I LOVE Far Cry...

they played 3 too many songs from s & a. 062802puke_prv.gif faithless and 3/4 of bu2b i was out getting a drink and a pretzel. the pretzels at msg always were bad. trink38.gif

love BU2B also, not a big fan of Faithless. But they could have played Far Cry twice and I wouldnt complain

This was my second show and I loved it. Except for the opening video problem, it was nearly flawless. Geddy's voice sounded great, which really surprised me.

Standouts for me were Caravan, BU2B, Leave That thing Alone, Vital Signs, Red Barchetta, The Camera Eye, Working Man, 2112, and Subdivisions. Even the songs I didn't like (Faithless, Workin' Them Angels) sounded good. Got a bunch of pictures, but a lot of them came out crappy.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 11 2011, 05:27 PM)
there were parts of the show where i felt like i was waiting for my number to be called at the dmv. tongue.gif

z7shysterical.gif

Stop it! You're killing me! You were bored, right? Hilarious! laugh.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 11 2011, 05:37 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 11 2011, 04:34 PM)
there were parts of the show where i felt like i was waiting for my number to be called at the dmv. tongue.gif

z7shysterical.gif

i'm serious. unsure.gif

Please, stop! rofl3.gif

I need to catch my breath...

tongue.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 11 2011, 04:38 PM)

z7shysterical.gif

i'm serious. unsure.gif

Please, stop! rofl3.gif

tongue.gif

i guess you liked it? unsure.gif

i wouldn't compare it to the s & a tour where they played 5 in the row from s & a to start the second set but there were major momentum kills mostly in the first set and a few in the second.

I still don't understand the hate for the newer material. S&A: easily one of my favorite Rush albums and BU2B and Caravan are two of the best songs they've written in the last twenty years.

QUOTE (Snyder80 @ Apr 11 2011, 06:16 PM)
I still don't understand the hate for the newer material. S&A: easily one of my favorite Rush albums and BU2B and Caravan are two of the best songs they've written in the last twenty years.

I'm not a huge fan of the S&A songs that they played (except Far Cry, which is awesome) but I agree that Caravan and BU2B are their best since Counterparts. It was great hearing those 2 new songs and they were the highlight of the tour for me.

QUOTE (Digitallware @ Apr 11 2011, 05:46 PM)
Hopefully a good boot comes from this show, I loved it when everyone cheered when Geddy sang "The Camera Eye" (New Yorkers know what part I'm talking about).

"Angular mass of New Yorkers!" 1022.gif I knew that part would get everybody cheering. It was cool to see all the videos of Grand Central Terminal and then get to go there right after the show laugh.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 11 2011, 06:36 PM)
did you guys like time stand still? i thought i was going to like it but just couldn't get into it. sad.gif

I always like Time Stand Still wub.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Apr 11 2011, 05:28 PM)
QUOTE (Digitallware @ Apr 11 2011, 05:46 PM)
Hopefully a good boot comes from this show, I loved it when everyone cheered when Geddy sang "The Camera Eye" (New Yorkers know what part I'm talking about).

"Angular mass of New Yorkers!" 1022.gif I knew that part would get everybody cheering. It was cool to see all the videos of Grand Central Terminal and then get to go there right after the show laugh.gif

I found the part where everyone cheered during The Camera Eye to be my favorite part of the entire show! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Snyder80 @ Apr 11 2011, 05:16 PM)

Opinions. I cant stand S&A. It sounds so dated to me. Just no edge to it. For a band that has made a career out of changing with the times, always reflecting whats going on around them, that album sounded painfully out of place to me when it came out.

The 2 new songs sound much more modern with a raunchy energetic hard edge which is what a lot of bands are moving towards now, and I like BU2B, but Caravan is just noise to me. A lot of off time stuff that doesnt feel right to me, no melodies I can grab on to, awkward middle section that sounds shoehorned into it, chorus with 1 line repeated constantly, I just dont like it, but still have high hopes for the new album.

Sounds like they ditched that lame ass 60s vibe of S&A which to me was just an extension of Feedback. It might depend on your age, I dont really know, just a guess. Im in my early 30s so I didnt grow up listening to 60s music, never liked any of it, so when Rush went to that for S&A it was just a huge dud to me, and I wasnt alone.

On the S&A tour when they played those 5 S&A song the entire place at PNC just died. People left to get drinks, everyone was sitting down. The place blew up when Subdivisions kicked in after that. It was clear people there were not into any of the new songs, and I was with them on that. Those light acoustic songs did not work live. It was so slow and boring.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 11 2011, 05:48 PM)

z7shysterical.gif

i'm serious. unsure.gif

Please, stop! rofl3.gif

tongue.gif

i wouldn't compare it to the s & a tour where they played 5 in the row from s & a to start the second set but there were major momentum kills mostly in the first set and a few in the second.

Truly, after the ragging you've given the setlist for the past 9+ months, I'm amazed you went.

confused13.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 11 2011, 08:48 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 11 2011, 05:48 PM)

z7shysterical.gif

i'm serious. unsure.gif

Please, stop! rofl3.gif

tongue.gif

Truly, after the ragging you've given the setlist for the past 9+ months, I'm amazed you went.

confused13.gif

i made the decision not to go but a family member purchased 2 tickets at $175 each so after that i didn't have a choice but to go.