vh working on new album

are any vh fans looking forward to the new album? i'm not crazy about eddie's son playing bass but i have to admit, i am curious and actually looking forward to seeing what they can come up with. maybe there's not much else going on in the music world and i need to expand a little? confused13.gif tongue.gif

"According to a "trusted source" cited by the Van Halen fan site Van Halen News Desk, the recording process for the group's new album is "going great and the band is starting to mix the new tracks". The site adds that the LP will likely drop this fall, which is when Van Halen is also expected to hit the road in support of the effort."

I'm down. I hear EVH is playing bass on the record, not Wolfie.

Also hear that the music was recorded under producer Ross Hogarth and then producer John Shanks was brought in to do Roth's vocals, helping with both melodies, arrangement, and now with mixing.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 10 2011, 09:01 AM)
are any vh fans looking forward to the new album?  i'm not crazy about eddie's son playing bass but i have to admit, i am curious and actually looking forward to seeing what they can come up with.  maybe there's not much else going on in the music world and i need to expand a little? confused13.gif  tongue.gif

"According to a "trusted source" cited by the Van Halen fan site Van Halen News Desk, the recording process for the group's new album is "going great and the band is starting to mix the new tracks". The site adds that the LP will likely drop this fall, which is when Van Halen is also expected to hit the road in support of the effort."

The book hagar just released is likely fueling Eddie's fire. That's a good thing. Wolfie seems like a cheesy cover band bassist. I hope he's practiced as much as he eats snacks. We'll see. I'm glad eddie played in the studio. Whew...

Edited by the masked drummer

eh I'll give it a listen. But im not expecting much. usually bands from the 70s and 80s who try to make new albums 20 year later just fail horribly. Im sure the single will be good but the rest of the album wont be much to listen to.

I'm counting the days (months???) until a publicist says taht "this was all an internet hoax; there's no short term plan for a VH album". But if it DOES come out, of course I'll give it a listen.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 10 2011, 11:01 AM)

It is rumored Eddie has played bass on all of the VH albums since Fair Warning. Considering how pathetically mixed down the bass is on OU812, I doubt this is entirely true. I would imagine he's played bass on at least some of the songs though. Presto, you are a KISS fan--did you know Ace played bass on some of the early KISS stuff? Gene didn't mind apparently, it was kinda like whoever wants to get it done kind of mentality. But I digress, I hope the next VH album not only happens, but is worthy of this ridiculous wait.

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Apr 14 2011, 01:00 PM)
I'm down.  I hear EVH is playing bass on the record, not Wolfie.

It is rumored Eddie has played bass on all of the VH albums since Fair Warning. Considering how pathetically mixed down the bass is on OU812, I doubt this is entirely true. I would imagine he's played bass on at least some of the songs though. Presto, you are a KISS fan--did you know Ace played bass on some of the early KISS stuff? Gene didn't mind apparently, it was kinda like whoever wants to get it done kind of mentality. But I digress, I hope the next VH album not only happens, but is worthy of this ridiculous wait.

Yeah, I've heard that about Gene. Of course he plays guitar on some cuts too (such as Almost Human, though NOT the solo...clearly). Once you get past 78 or so it becomes pretty frequent...especially in the 80s.

It's hard to believe that Eddie played bass in the Fair Warning album, especially on Push Comes to Shove. But he definitely played in the two bonus tracks with Dave on Greatest Hits I (Me Wise Magic and can't Get this Stuff No More) and the whole VH III album.

He's mentioned it in some interviews, especially when being asked about or being criticized for Peter or Ace being replaced on tracks. There may be some mention of it as well in the book that came with the box set, where they break down each track.

I loved Van Halen when I was a kid. That being said, I have not found anything interesting from them in 20 years or so. I liked some of the sammy stuff, most of the dave stuff, but I have not been overly impressed with anything EVH has done in years. I am not surprised to hear that Anthony has not played on anything since fair warning. The bass lost its growl and presence around diver. The man can play. Listen to the first album and try to ignore eddie and dave. Anthony is on. Great playing, great feel and sound. That is gone from the later albums. EVH may know how to play the guitar, but he is no bassist...just my opinion of course.

Are they actually working on a new album now, or have they called it off?

VH is one of my favorite bands. I like every album, even VH 3. But I hope they put some serious thought into it, and don't just throw something together.

Also hear that the music was recorded under producer Ross Hogarth and then producer John Shanks was brought in to do Roth's vocals, helping with both melodies, arrangement, and now with mixing.

I'll bet eddie is either just saying that so that ppl don't boycott the record. Either way, i don't like it. If Wolfie is good enuff to play live he should be doing the studio work. Something doesnt smell right. Its not like 5150 studio costs eddie a lot to track bass lines once the microphones are in place it's virtually free besides electricity & maybe the opportunity to have another band renting the facility. If my kid wasn't competent enough to lay down bass lines in 100 takes there's no way i would have him onstage with me. He should go back to college if he sucks that bad.

To me, the kid doesn't have my respect yet. If i heard the new cd and it was wolfie on bass and it sounded tight i would respect the kid. And all those studio takes would make the kid better. What is eddie thinking??? Is his son just hanging out with valrie eating cookies while old man ed busts his ass to the bone playing everything but drums and vocals on this new one?

wtf.gif what puzzles me even more is hagar said wolfie was some kind of monster bassist! Maybe i read it wrong. Maybe he was just talking about the kid's weight? confused13.gif

Ok...re: Kiss and who played what. Here are some "for instances". These are just a few and ALL come from the same source.

Gene Simmons (Behind The Mask book, pg. 290): (re: Almost Human from Love Gun).... "That's me on guitar. On other songs where you think it's Ace or Paul on guitar, it's me. War Machine and Plaster Caster, that's me on guitar and bass."

Drummer Allan Schwartzberg (same book, pg. 362): "I overdubbed drum fills on a few songs on the Animalize album. I think the songs needed that little kick and I think it helped."

Mark St. John (same book, same page as above): "There are two songs on Animalize that I didn't play on. Lonely Is The Hunter and Murder In High Heels. That's Bruce Kulick playing guitar."

Eric Singer (same book, pg. 391): (re: Revenge) "(Take It Off) is the only song I didn't play onthe record. I knew my drum work wasn't great. Ezrin felt it could be better and so Kevin Valentine came in and played drums on Take It Off."

Bruce Kulick (same book, pg. 401): (re: Carnival Of Souls) "I played bass on quite a few of the Paul songs. Jungle, Rain, It Never Goes Away, and I Will Be There. I really wanted Gene to play as much bass as he would."

Peter Criss (same book, pg. 329): "I could give you a million songs Gene didn't play bass on. You would not believe how many basses are done by Ace Frehley. It would blow your f@cking mind."

Gene Simmons (same book, same page): "I didn't play bass on I Was Made For Lovin' You." But there are a lot of songs in our history where people think that the people who played the instruments actually played them. It's not true. On Almost Humand I played guitar. I played guitar on Plaster Caster, See You In Your Dreams. I played keyboards (piano, actually) on Christine Sixteen."

Ace Frehley (same book, pg. 332): (re: Unmasked) "For instance, on my tunes I played the bass parts [laughs]. I wouldn't let Gene play. I think Paul might've even played bass on some of his songs."

In addition to all of this are the more well-known factoids:

* Peter plays drums on only one song on Dynasty and one song on Psycho Circus. Anton Fig plays on most of Dynasty, all of Unmasked, and Kevin Valentine does most of the drums on Psycho Circus.

* Ace Frehley's guitars/solos ONLY appears on two of the Psycho Circus songs, Into The Void (his own) and You Wanted The Best. The rest is Tommy Thayer.

* It's not Ace soloing on Destroyer's Sweet Pain, but rather Dick Wagner.

* Bob Ezrin wrote the classic Detroit Rock City dual guitar solo, although it is played by Ace.

* Eric Carr does not play drums on The Elder Track called I. It's Allan Schwartzberg.

* Eric Carr plays bass guitar on the Creatures tune I Still Love You.

* The Kiss members play their own respective instruments on all the songs on the following studio albums: Kiss, Hotter Than Hell, Dressed To Kill, Rock & Roll Over, Love Gun (in some dispute), and -- at the stern request of Paul Stanley -- their latest record Sonic Boom. The rest have some degree of members swapping instruments, ghost musicians, guest musicians, etc....almost entirely uncredited.

* Rick Derringer and Bob Kulick play on the studio side of Alive II, except for Ace's Rocket Ride.

* Bob Kulick does all lead guitars on the "new" tracks from the Killers compilation album.

* Various songs on Hot In The Shade are actually drum machines, not because Carr couldn't cut it but to save time and money going from demos into final tracks. So...budgetary reasons.

* Paul is the ONLY Kiss member on the song Shandi, with Tom Harper on bass, Holly Knight on keyboards, and Anton Fig on drums. Paul does all guitar work, including the solo.

* Steve Ferris does lead guitars on the Creatures Of The Night title track.

* Rick Derringer, not Vinnie Vincent, does the guitar solo for Lick It Up's lead off track Exciter.

* Jean Beauvoir plays bass on Asylum's Uh! All Night.

* Dick Wagner plays the guitar solo on Revenge's Everytime I Look At You, not Bruce Kulick.

It's pretty damn exhausting.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 17 2011, 10:28 AM)
Ok...re: Kiss and who played what. Here are some "for instances". These are just a few and ALL come from the same source.

Gene Simmons (Behind The Mask book, pg. 290): (re: Almost Human from Love Gun).... "That's me on guitar. On other songs where you think it's Ace or Paul on guitar, it's me. War Machine and Plaster Caster, that's me on guitar and bass."

Drummer Allan Schwartzberg (same book, pg. 362): "I overdubbed drum fills on a few songs on the Animalize album. I think the songs needed that little kick and I think it helped."

Mark St. John (same book, same page as above): "There are two songs on Animalize that I didn't play on. Lonely Is The Hunter and Murder In High Heels. That's Bruce Kulick playing guitar."

Eric Singer (same book, pg. 391): (re: Revenge) "(Take It Off) is the only song I didn't play onthe record. I knew my drum work wasn't great. Ezrin felt it could be better and so Kevin Valentine came in and played drums on Take It Off."

Bruce Kulick (same book, pg. 401): (re: Carnival Of Souls) "I played bass on quite a few of the Paul songs. Jungle, Rain, It Never Goes Away, and I Will Be There. I really wanted Gene to play as much bass as he would."

Peter Criss (same book, pg. 329): "I could give you a million songs Gene didn't play bass on. You would not believe how many basses are done by Ace Frehley. It would blow your f@cking mind."

Gene Simmons (same book, same page): "I didn't play bass on I Was Made For Lovin' You." But there are a lot of songs in our history where people think that the people who played the instruments actually played them. It's not true. On Almost Humand I played guitar. I played guitar on Plaster Caster, See You In Your Dreams. I played keyboards (piano, actually) on Christine Sixteen."

Ace Frehley (same book, pg. 332): (re: Unmasked) "For instance, on my tunes I played the bass parts [laughs]. I wouldn't let Gene play. I think Paul might've even played bass on some of his songs."

In addition to all of this are the more well-known factoids:

* Peter plays drums on only one song on Dynasty and one song on Psycho Circus. Anton Fig plays on most of Dynasty, all of Unmasked, and Kevin Valentine does most of the drums on Psycho Circus.

* Ace Frehley's guitars/solos ONLY appears on two of the Psycho Circus songs, Into The Void (his own) and You Wanted The Best. The rest is Tommy Thayer.

* It's not Ace soloing on Destroyer's Sweet Pain, but rather Dick Wagner.

* Bob Ezrin wrote the classic Detroit Rock City dual guitar solo, although it is played by Ace.

* Eric Carr does not play drums on The Elder Track called I. It's Allan Schwartzberg.

* Eric Carr plays bass guitar on the Creatures tune I Still Love You.

* The Kiss members play their own respective instruments on all the songs on the following studio albums: Kiss, Hotter Than Hell, Dressed To Kill, Rock & Roll Over, Love Gun (in some dispute), and -- at the stern request of Paul Stanley -- their latest record Sonic Boom. The rest have some degree of members swapping instruments, ghost musicians, guest musicians, etc....almost entirely uncredited.

* Rick Derringer and Bob Kulick play on the studio side of Alive II, except for Ace's Rocket Ride.

* Bob Kulick does all lead guitars on the "new" tracks from the Killers compilation album.

* Various songs on Hot In The Shade are actually drum machines, not because Carr couldn't cut it but to save time and money going from demos into final tracks. So...budgetary reasons.

* Paul is the ONLY Kiss member on the song Shandi, with Tom Harper on bass, Holly Knight on keyboards, and Anton Fig on drums. Paul does all guitar work, including the solo.

* Steve Ferris does lead guitars on the Creatures Of The Night title track.

* Rick Derringer, not Vinnie Vincent, does the guitar solo for Lick It Up's lead off track Exciter.

* Jean Beauvoir plays bass on Asylum's Uh! All Night.

* Dick Wagner plays the guitar solo on Revenge's Everytime I Look At You, not Bruce Kulick.

It's pretty damn exhausting.

I would have never guessed KISS were like Steely Dan laugh.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 17 2011, 03:06 PM)
The relative "complexity" wink.gif of Kiss's music hardly justifies this degree of shuffling about either. If they were making high brow music, perhaps. It's a bit like getting help putting peanut butter on bread...

laugh.gif

And lets not forget about them wanting Eddie in the band around 1982 or so...

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 10 2011, 02:47 PM)
...and we're all subject to our degree of biased revisionist history when recalling events from our past when it involves other people, but it seems that NO ONE can stick with Edward except for Alex...and that's likely because they're brothers and no other reason.  They seem to eventually and ultimately drive everyone else around them away, from bandmates to producers.

You whole post is spot on !!!!!!!

Using your example . . .

Eddie has driven me away . (period !)

I will not spend any money on anything VH

I will not go see VH live, even if it was free

I would really like eddie & VH to go away to never return