Sometimes I Wish There Were No Internet

presto123

You know what I mean. There was just so much more mystique and mystery about the band before. I like when you could find very little info on the band. It made them larger than life. I think you would look forward to concerts more when you don't know every little detail. Plus Rush's catalog would still be selling strong because everybody couldn't get it for free. Seems like they would have come up with something by now that you can't copy. I don't think you appreciate new releases as much when you don't have to pay for them.(I have bought every Rush release) I would be willing to sacrifice my computer and all the good things about the internet if it could be like it was in the old days. Maybe I'm being nostalgic. You youngsters have no idea what I'm talking about:)

QUOTE (GTIMANiac @ Apr 10 2011, 01:32 AM)
Like blaming roads for accidents. Don't blame the infrastructure wink.gif

I know. I got carried away. I miss those days when you had to mow the lawn or something to be able to afford the new record. And when you got home and gave it a spin it was magical.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Apr 10 2011, 01:44 AM)
except when it sucked, and it was all for naught. As was Vapor Trails. I saved up for months for that damn record.

Wow. I loved VT. Save production. Better than Snakes IMO. BTW... kudos to you for resisting the temptation to just download it.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 10 2011, 07:37 AM)
QUOTE (GTIMANiac @ Apr 10 2011, 01:32 AM)
Like blaming roads for accidents. Don't blame the infrastructure wink.gif

I know. I got carried away. I miss those days when you had to mow the lawn or something to be able to afford the new record. And when you got home and gave it a spin it was magical.

I hear you.

There was a time in my life when I had to save my pocket money up for weeks just to buy a new LP. It made you appreciate the album so much more and of course you had to carefully decide what to buy. It was very rare that I would just listen to an album once and discard it. You felt you had to play an album four or five times before deciding whether you liked it or not.

As I got older and had more disposable income I don't think I gave albums the same chance. I remember playing a Steve Hackett (ex Genesis guitarist - 70s) album once and not listening to him again at all for over 20 years. I still have the LP in my attic in practically mint condition, but fortunately I eventually re-acquainted myself with Steve's work and bought the damn album on CD.

The presentation of LP albums was so much better than CD. You felt you had something substantial, a visual work of art on top of the aural presentation, and you could read the lyrics without using an electron microscope! Gatefold sleeves were the order of the day and wonderful exotic images adorned every inch of the cover. These were great times!!

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 10 2011, 02:22 AM)
You know what I mean. There was just so much more mystique and mystery about the band before. I like when you could find very little info on the band. It made them larger than life. I think you would look forward to concerts more when you don't know every little detail. Plus Rush's catalog would still be selling strong because everybody couldn't get it for free. Seems like they would have come up with something by now that you can't copy. I don't think you appreciate new releases as much when you don't have to pay for them.(I have bought every Rush release) I would be willing to sacrifice my computer and all the good things about the internet if it could be like it was in the old days. Maybe I'm being nostalgic. You youngsters have no idea what I'm talking about:)

I know exactly what you mean. I often think back to the days when I'd be lucky enough to catch wind of some Rush news on the radio or in a magazine article. They were exciting moments for me. And then there were those moments that just blew me away like tuning into the '93 All Star Game and being completely blind-sided by the announcer introducing Geddy Lee. Now we're bombarded with Rush. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Isn't that what we wanted anyway way back when? But still, I do miss those days. Getting up early on the day of a new Rush album's release. Making your way to the store, walking with quick strides to the R section and laying eyes on the new artwork for the very first time. Now that was priceless. But the ride back to the house sucked! icon_really_happy_guy.gif

The damn kids have it easy today old.gif

Remember having to read Cream, Circus, Musician, Hit Parader etc. to get info on bands?...and actually waiting in line to purchase cassetes/CD's??..

Just today i heard a local DJ talking about the release date of the new Foo Fighters , and was thinking that it doesnt even matter.

i appreciate what your saying about the bands mystique having diminished,i too am an old timer who remembers when we had to get up at 5am to get in line for the best concert seats by queueing in the wind and rain outside the box office.

There is very little you cant learn about the band now which as previously mentioned is exactly what we wanted (or did we?) concert footage can be viewed the morning after on the internet and everything else is available at the click of a button which has completely removed any of the bands inaccessability which in turn diminishes the godlike status we used to allocate to rock stars and inparticular for me rush.

yes the youngsters on here will be scratching there heads at this thread but many of us will connect entirely with it and wonder whether the good old days were really as good as we remember them b_sigh.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 10 2011, 01:22 AM)
You know what I mean. There was just so much more mystique and mystery about the band before. I like when you could find very little info on the band. It made them larger than life.

goodpost.gif

MYSTIQUE - the perfect word for describing the relationship between the Band and us older fans.

At least, for this young man, the Band possessed a supermystical, otherworldly quality. They weren't human to me. They weren't just three normal guys looking to just rock out and have a good time. I bought every new album without a milisecond of hesitation. My eyes scanned and scrutinized every square inch of the album cover, liner notes, pictures of the band.....trying to interpret the mystical significance of every word and image.....as if I was trying to interpret the Mind of God..... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

But then I had to grow up and become more sensible.... doh.gif These days, my worship of the Band has been replaced by great appreciation and gratitude. All the info we now get on the Band helps to keep us ex-fanatics grounded. Today, I could easily meet them and shake their hands and thank them for all their music. Back in the day, I would have been so overwhelmed and intimidated....I would have just stood there, mute and staring at them - a total dork.... laugh.gif laugh.gif

I just miss the feeling of saving up my money for a month, then having my mom drive me to a cd store and buying my brand new cd. I would spend hours dissecting every nuance of the liner notes, artwork, and I would play the shit out of it. Now I digest (and download) most of my music in such massive quantities, I don't often get to become that intimate with new music. But I'm also not a kid anymore with unlimited time...I have a job, night school, etc.

But still, the positives far outweigh the negatives. I discover dozens of new bands/albums and will often find an artist that truly blows me away. The internet has really opened my world and made it infinitely more diverse.

QUOTE (tel @ Apr 10 2011, 06:48 AM)
i appreciate what your saying about the bands mystique having diminished,i too am an old timer who remembers when we had to get up at 5am to get in line for the best concert seats by queueing in the wind and rain outside the box office.
There is very little you cant learn about the band now which as previously mentioned is exactly what we wanted (or did we?) concert footage can be viewed the morning after on the internet and everything else is available at the click of a button which has completely removed any of the bands inaccessability which in turn diminishes the godlike status we used to allocate to rock stars and inparticular for me rush.
yes the youngsters on here will be scratching there heads at this thread but many of us will connect entirely with it and wonder whether the good old days were really as good as we remember them b_sigh.gif

Got up at 5am to queue for tickets? Slacker.

WE camped out the night before, regardless of weather. Our parents would come check on us and bring snacks. It was actually loads of fun (though it was, uh, interesting at times being one of maybe 5 chicks out there waiting all night for Rush tickets)!

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Apr 10 2011, 07:17 AM)
But I'm also not a kid anymore with unlimited time....

We are young...wandering the face of the Earth...wondering what our dreams might be worth...learning that we're only immortal for a limited time...

wink.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 9 2011, 10:22 PM)
I would be willing to sacrifice my computer and all the good things about the internet if it could be like it was in the old days.

You do realize they have naked ladies on the internet.....

common001.gif

Okay, seriously though....I was just talking to a friend about this last night. It started by talking about "spoilers". Then we talked about saving our allowance money to go to the store and buy a record.

And now looking at all the ticketing options these days....remember standing in line at Ticketron Outlets?

I have to completely agree with you. There was something....better...about all that.

I'm sure the kids today would look at us like a bunch of old fossils. I feel like that Dana Carvey character: "Back in my day....."

old.gif

I don't think the magic is gone, it's still there if you resist the temptation to download it. The first album I actually saved up to buy the day it was released was AC/DC's Black Ice. All I had heard were two songs that were played on the radio: "Rock and Roll Train" and "War Machine", I thought they were great.

The day it was released, I ran to HMV after school (I literally ran so I wouldn't have to wait for the city bus), bought the album and got home ASAP. It was an awesome experience. I did the same with Rush's two new singles. As soon as they were released, I bought them off of iTunes.

I have to admit, good music is so much more satisfying to hear for the first time if you don't pirate it. I've sworn off of downloading music since then.

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 10 2011, 09:08 AM)
QUOTE (tel @ Apr 10 2011, 06:48 AM)
yes the youngsters on here will be scratching there heads at this thread but many of us will connect entirely with it and wonder whether the good old days were really as good as we remember them  b_sigh.gif

Got up at 5am to queue for tickets? Slacker.

WE camped out the night before, regardless of weather. Our parents would come check on us and bring snacks. It was actually loads of fun (though it was, uh, interesting at times being one of maybe 5 chicks out there waiting all night for Rush tickets)!

old.gif Well now, in my day, WE said we were spending the night at a friend's house, snuck out the bedroom window, drove into town with 2.gif on 8-track blaring and had to pack along our own munchies!

wink.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif

Seriously, I love to remember the good ol' days... the '70's such a great time to be a teen and discovering all the great music!!

I've never spent one moment lamenting the internet or being able to have more information about Rush or anything. While I have the occasional twinge of sentimentality and nostalgia for how things used to be, we're living in a whole different world now with so much more access to information and connection. I would never want to go back.

I can appreciate the nostalgia factor here. But the internet to me is the single best thing around. Im 21 so thanks to forums and websites I have learned so much about music and bands and just everything in general. so much information on the interwebs and I intend on taking advantage of it.

Programs like Rhaphsody are a dream come true to me. I can listen to pretty much any album I want in full, music that was mainstream and readily available to most of you older guys when you were my age.

I have almost no use for any kind of physical media anymore. All my music is ripped in Apple Lossless and my external hard drive is hardwired directly into my stereo so I can get at any of my music over a wi-fi network. It sounds amazing.

Rush is the only band that's an exception. I don't download their albums when they leak, always buy them the day they come out. The Moving Pictures deluxe edition is the first CD I've bought in over a year.

I buy new albums on vinyl still, and find ways to support bands financially (buying shirts, going to concerts, purchasing digital downloads if it's a smaller band not on a major label), but the CD format is basically useless to me.

I used to get my info about Rush from MTV. Can you imagine?

After becoming hard core fan with Signals, I was excited to hear Martha Quinn on MTV announce that Rush has a new album coming out called "Grace Under Pressure which is due to be released in the spring".

Spring? That's a three month period! So I started having my parents drop me off at the shopping mall every Saturday hoping to see brand new album cover art in the Rush bin. I got lucky on Saturday, April 21st 1984.

This would repeat with every album up to and including Roll the Bones.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 11 2011, 07:02 AM)
I used to get my info about Rush from MTV. Can you imagine?

After becoming hard core fan with Signals, I was excited to hear Martha Quinn on MTV announce that Rush has a new album coming out called "Grace Under Pressure which is due to be released in the spring".

Spring? That's a three month period! So I started having my parents drop me off at the shopping mall every Saturday hoping to see brand new album cover art in the Rush bin. I got lucky on Saturday, April 21st 1984.

This would repeat with every album up to and including Roll the Bones.

My how I remember those days. I rode my bike to the local record shop every week hoping to get Grace Under Pressure.

I love the internet to get information as it is a miracle in that regard. Like all technology it has pros and cons.

I could not see going back to how things used to be. Progress not regression is the human way. I just hope the information overload does not continue to erode our youth.

Innocence has been lost big time and it has some real social repercussions IMO. It is pretty damm scary what kids today have access to. Just mindboggling.

Archived