CCR

Steevo

Since age 11 in the late 80's, I've been a listener of CCR. CCR was my first discovery of 'classic rock'.

Before 2012, I had the opportunity to see John Fogerty twice in concert in Vancouver, BC through a male friend who always had an extra ticket, when I lived on Vancouver Island. Later I moved to the Lower Mainland.

However the concerts ended up being 'family-oriented' where he and his fellow adult siblings and another friend went and there wasn't an additional ticket for me.

Finally, I managed to buy two tickets to see John Fogerty live in Abbotsford, BC through a childhood female acquaintance who was my longtime female cousin's friend. The tour was titled 'Wrote a Song for Everyone: John Fogerty Performs Live! The Albums of Creedence Clearwater Revival'.

The 'childhood female acquaintance' and her new husband couldn't attend the concert because of inopportune timing as they both moved to Alberta where he found new employment.

I was fortunate to hear John Fogerty perform 'Cosmo's Factory' in it's entirety with other CCR and solo hits and covers. He did a total of 29 songs and it was worth every penny. Set-list here.

A long time trend I've observed is that unless John Fogerty is promoting a new solo album, he'll perform songs on the accompanying tour from it and not perform them again after that. He sticks to the CCR hits and occasional album tracks, and solo hits from the mid 70's ('Rockin' All Over the World' and 'Almost Saturday Night'), solo hits from the mid 80's ('The Old Man Down The Road', 'Rock and Roll Girls' and 'Centerfield') and a couple of songs from his 1997 Grammy-Award winning comeback album Blue Moon Swamp. Fogerty doesn't perform anything from his 1986 album Eye Of The Zombie as it's ranked up there with Mardi Gras by CCR as his worst. See here.

I should also point out that Mardi Gras and Eye Of The Zombie both have a song titled 'Sail Away', but aren't the same.

On a side note, I wonder if John and Geddy managed to interact with one another at the 2013 Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame and discuss baseball as they're both long time fans of the sport.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 2

With the comment that John Fogerty is CCR, the same could be said that Led Zeppelin is Jimmy Page, Mark Knopfler is Dire Straits, and Randy Bachman is BTO. These are all quartet bands, except for Dire Straits as this was brief for just the band's first two albums. Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

With the comment that John Fogerty is CCR, the same could be said that Led Zeppelin is Jimmy Page, Mark Knopfler is Dire Straits, and Randy Bachman is BTO. These are all quartet bands, except for Dire Straits as this was brief for just the band's first two albums.

Fogarty is a brilliant musician and songwriter, but horrible business person. The record deal that he had the other band member sign along with himself screw them out of millions and millions of dollars. At one point in his legal fight with the record label, the record company president offered him and the others an ownership share in a movie production company he had set up, mostly with royalties from CCR hits. Fogarty said no to that as well, and cost each band member between 20 and 30 million dollars because the studio went on to produce hits like Amadeus. Then at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction he pulled the ultimate dick move. He got up on stage and play Creedence hits while the surviving band members sat in the crowd not invited to play. They got up and walked out while he was playing.

With the comment that John Fogerty is CCR, the same could be said that Led Zeppelin is Jimmy Page, Mark Knopfler is Dire Straits, and Randy Bachman is BTO. These are all quartet bands, except for Dire Straits as this was brief for just the band's first two albums.

Fogarty is a brilliant musician and songwriter, but horrible business person. The record deal that he had the other band member sign along with himself screw them out of millions and millions of dollars. At one point in his legal fight with the record label, the record company president offered him and the others an ownership share in a movie production company he had set up, mostly with royalties from CCR hits. Fogarty said no to that as well, and cost each band member between 20 and 30 million dollars because the studio went on to produce hits like Amadeus. Then at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction he pulled the ultimate dick move. He got up on stage and play Creedence hits while the surviving band members sat in the crowd not invited to play. They got up and walked out while he was playing.

I recommend watching this clip

, which I've marked and this article here where you may have a different point of view.

Fantasy Records was milking the success of CCR with branching out in the movie industry. CCR's success financed 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' and other movies.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 2

Someday Never Comes is an overlooked gem. Good band.

The video I posted had the reviewer saying it was the one decent song on Marci Gras. Stu Cook pales next to Fogerty. Such a shame ego and jealousy ruined it all.

Ah cool I didn't get a chance to watch the video. I'll have to check it out.

• Like 1

Someday Never Comes is an overlooked gem. Good band.

The video I posted had the reviewer saying it was the one decent song on Marci Gras. Stu Cook pales next to Fogerty. Such a shame ego and jealousy ruined it all.

Ah cool I didn't get a chance to watch the video. I'll have to check it out.

His Trainwreckords segment hits the nail on the head on his previous episode on Van Halen 3. It is that bad especially on the last track. EVH should never sing again.

Strangely enough, "Have You Ever Seen The Rain" just played on the episode of DEXTER I'm watching!

CFqwtQ9.gif

• Like 1