**Attention All Hot Girls**

-D-RocK-

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 12 2011, 08:17 AM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Apr 11 2011, 08:43 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 11 2011, 07:09 AM)
QUOTE (summer_sky @ Apr 11 2011, 05:36 AM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Apr 10 2011, 09:00 PM)
Well logically speaking, I don't think that considering the content of the link that was posted the words "hot boys" in the title was appropriate seeing as there were no before and after photos of hot boys.

More to my point. As I see it, the post is just another illustration as to what a certain segment of society deems as the 'acceptable' physical image of a woman. And, to refer women as 'girls' is also an a bit of a put down, in my very personal opinion. But, that is my '70's feminist upbringing shining through, I suppose.

Am I truly missing the meaning and intent of the post and link? I certainly do not interpret it to be about the dangers of eating junk food as it seems to be directed at a certain segment of the audience.

Not really on-topic here, but I'm in my early 40's and don't mind being called a "girl" or a "chick", even.

I don't like being referred to as a "woman", because it makes me feel old. old.gif

I far prefer being called a "girl" or "chick" to ma'am.

No shit. If someone calls me "ma'am", I correct them immediately: "Please don't call me that. It makes me feel old." This can be a little bit of an uphill battle in the south.

Members of the military get a pass as it's SO ingrained in them to say "ma'am" and "sir".

I'd almost rather someone say "yo, bitch" to me rather than call me "ma'am".

I guess I'm in the minority. I think it just sounds nice and polite and Southern. I work at a university and deal with students all day long. I'd much rather help a student who says "Yes, ma'am," in response to a question than one who grunts "Yeah...I guess," or somesuch.

Or else I'm a 38 year old fuddy dud.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Apr 11 2011, 09:51 AM)
Get off your ass, put away the Haagen Dazs and start making the right choices.

There are no excuses.

If it were that easy, do you really think obesity would be such a problem? I hate to break it to you, but for anyone that has ever struggled with their weight, they probably know more about healthy eating than any skinny person ever could. It goes much deeper than that and has nothing to do with being lazy.

It's never as simple as "putting away the Haagen Dazs". Food addiction is a very serious issue. Would you ever tell an alcoholic or drug addict to get off their ass and that there are no excuses? No, we coddle them, put them through rehab, give them steps to follow and constant support. What do overweight people have to hear all of the time? They are lazy and should just stop eating. At least alcoholics and drug addicts don't need their vices to survive. They can give them up and still live. Is a food addict just never to eat again??

I don't think you intended for your post to be mean, but please try to realize how insensitive comments like that can be.

QUOTE (VarianStar @ Apr 12 2011, 09:20 AM)

There are no excuses.

If it were that easy, do you really think obesity would be such a problem? I hate to break it to you, but for anyone that has ever struggled with their weight, they probably know more about healthy eating than any skinny person ever could. It goes much deeper than that and has nothing to do with being lazy.

It's never as simple as "putting away the Haagen Dazs". Food addiction is a very serious issue. Would you ever tell an alcoholic or drug addict to get off their ass and that there are no excuses? No, we coddle them, put them through rehab, give them steps to follow and constant support. What do overweight people have to hear all of the time? They are lazy and should just stop eating. At least alcoholics and drug addicts don't need their vices to survive. They can give them up and still live. Is a food addict just never to eat again??

I don't think you intended for your post to be mean, but please try to realize how insensitive comments like that can be.

It's so true that breaking an addiction to food is complicated by the fact that, no, you can't just stop eating.

Some people get it, some don't.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 12 2011, 11:25 AM)

There are no excuses.

It's so true that breaking an addiction to food is complicated by the fact that, no, you can't just stop eating.

It's SO ingrained that women have to adhere to a certain body type.

When I was in the hospital and later, home recovering, from hip surgery, I worried constantly about what I was eating and how much. I was actually grateful that the prescription pain meds caused diminished appetite! I mean, how screwed up is that? Blowing up to the size of a small barn wasn't even a realistic concern given the relatively short time I was out of action. That should have been among the least of my concerns.

In fairness, not everyone who needs to lose several pounds is addicted to food. My husband gained weight from a combination of age-related metabolic slowing and being somewhat less vigilant about what he was eating at about the same time. For him, losing those extra pounds has been a matter of self-discipline only. (Plus lots of positive reinforcement from his wife)! It's not always a matter needing lots of professionally-assisted soul-searching.

Edited by Mara

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 11 2011, 07:09 AM)
QUOTE (summer_sky @ Apr 11 2011, 05:36 AM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Apr 10 2011, 09:00 PM)
Well logically speaking, I don't think that considering the content of the link that was posted the words "hot boys" in the title was appropriate seeing as there were no before and after photos of hot boys.

More to my point. As I see it, the post is just another illustration as to what a certain segment of society deems as the 'acceptable' physical image of a woman. And, to refer women as 'girls' is also an a bit of a put down, in my very personal opinion. But, that is my '70's feminist upbringing shining through, I suppose.

Am I truly missing the meaning and intent of the post and link? I certainly do not interpret it to be about the dangers of eating junk food as it seems to be directed at a certain segment of the audience.

Not really on-topic here, but I'm in my early 40's and don't mind being called a "girl" or a "chick", even.

I don't like being referred to as a "woman", because it makes me feel old. old.gif

My friends call me "rocker chick" which works for me. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 12 2011, 08:38 AM)

There are no excuses.

It's SO ingrained that women have to adhere to a certain body type.

When I was in the hospital and later, home recovering, from hip surgery, I worried constantly about what I was eating and how much. I was actually grateful that the prescription pain meds caused diminished appetite! I mean, how screwed up is that? Blowing up to the size of a small barn wasn't even a realistic concern given the relatively short time I was out of action. That should have been among the least of my concerns.

Unfortunately that is how society has taught us to think about our weight. eh.gif

This is such horseshit I don't even know where to begin ripping this dumb-ass post apart.....so I won't.

Edited by -D-RocK-

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Apr 14 2011, 05:24 PM)

This is such horseshit I don't even no where to begin ripping this dumb-ass post apart.....so I won't.

tough room.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Apr 14 2011, 08:24 PM)

This is such horseshit I don't even know where to begin ripping this dumb-ass post apart.....so I won't.

It's a shame that you don't get it D-Rock. Hopefully neither you nor anyone else you care about has to ever face something like this. That way your attitude will hurt the least amount of people possible.

QUOTE (VarianStar @ Apr 14 2011, 09:41 PM)

It's a shame that you don't get it D-Rock. Hopefully neither you nor anyone else you care about has to ever face something like this. That way your attitude will hurt the least amount of people possible.

How presumptuous.

laugh.gif

Edited by -D-RocK-

There is no reason to presume that every female in that picture "article" got fat through lack of discipline. Some of the "before" pictures are quite crudely photoshopped too.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 14 2011, 10:00 PM)
This thread wasn't pretty to begin with. And it ain't getting any prettier.

Especially when people keep MISSING THE POINT of the thread. Unfortunately everyone seems to take everything personally these days...

sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Apr 14 2011, 06:24 PM)

actually that post was SPOT ON.

(this thread sucks BTW).

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 16 2011, 05:27 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Apr 14 2011, 06:24 PM)

actually that post was SPOT ON.

(this thread sucks BTW).

Explain why it sucks to encourage people to eat healthy and be active please?

Why does that suck again?