Are You a Guru at Anything

snowdogged

Would you consider yourself an expert on any subject or Field? Do you think that you know more than most people that work in your field of work? Do you consider yourself an expert on Rush?

I'm pretty good with computers and can fix most problems most of the time but I do not consider myself an expert. I'd say the same thing about Rush. I know quite a bit about them but would not consider myself an expert on them.

So, I'd sort of consider myself a Jack of all trades master of none type person. How about you? Is there something that you are a master of?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Star Trek. While I don't remember every detail by heart, I can debate pretty well any point ranging from plot holes, to the symbolism of the many races, to why admirals are so snobby and useless. I don't know much about the actors themselves but when we're talking canonical Star Trek, I'd say I know quite a bit comprared to most.

As for Rush and computers, I'm on the same boat as you are Snowdogged.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Apr 6 2011, 08:36 AM)
Star Trek. While I don't remember every detail by heart, I can debate pretty well any point ranging from plot holes, to the symbolism of the many races, to why admirals are so snobby and useless. I don't know much about the actors themselves but when we're talking canonical Star Trek, I'd say I know quite a bit comprared to most.

I don't know but that is pretty big claim to make with some of the fanatical Trekkies that I have seen. Some of these guys seem to have mastered the Klingon language and know all the so called physics behind all of the technology in Star Trek. I'm not saying that you don't know a lot but do you think you would be considered a guru next to these type of fanatics?

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Apr 6 2011, 09:46 AM)
QUOTE (usb_connector @ Apr 6 2011, 08:36 AM)

I don't know but that is pretty big claim to make with some of the fanatical Trekkies that I have seen. Some of these guys seem to have mastered the Klingon language and know all the so called physics behind all of the technology in Star Trek. I'm not saying that you don't know a lot but do you think you would be considered a guru next to these type of fanatics?

I don't even measure up to those kinds of fanatics. I know a fair amount of the "physics" behind the technology, but I'm slowly purging that knowledge to make room for real world physics.

Maybe one day I'll try my hand at learning Klingon, but your original post did say more than "most" people in that field. Most Trekkies can summarize the main events of the series but can't go into very much detail. Also, many trekkies in my area don't know the existance of Star Trek: Enterprise because of the fact that it was so poorly marketed and put into terrible time slots.

I was quite the authority on the Simpsons. There was a show called Beat the Geek I think, and they had a Simpsons geek on there. I got every question right.

According to my 10 year old daughter, I am still the authority on everything.

According to my 17 year old son, I'm sure I'm the authority of next to nothing laugh.gif

I can install carpet as well as anyone, and be funny while doing it.

Oh, and I am definitely the steak grilling guru

(sorry had to throw that in there just cuz I saw tick in here)

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 6 2011, 10:11 AM)
Oh, and I am definitely the steak grilling guru

(sorry had to throw that in there just cuz I saw tick in here)

Any day pal!!!! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 6 2011, 09:07 AM)
I was quite the authority on the Simpsons. There was a show called Beat the Geek I think, and they had a Simpsons geek on there. I got every question right.

According to my 17 year old son, I'm sure I'm the authority of next to nothing laugh.gif

Yeah, well you only have couple years or so left before your daughter figures out that your not the authority on everything like she thought you were. My daughter use to think the same way about me when she was that age and now she will be 14 soon and she has figured me out for the idiot that I am. laugh.gif

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Apr 6 2011, 08:13 AM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 6 2011, 09:07 AM)

Yeah, well you only have couple years or so left before your daughter figures out that your not the authority on everything like she thought you were. My daughter use to think the same way about me when she was that age and now she will be 14 soon and she has figured me out for the idiot that I am. laugh.gif

I am so dreading that day buddy.

I am a non sequitur guru.

Ask anyone.

Then, order six more. yes.gif

Im a LOST guru. Ask me anything. any quote. any character. any situation. I have watched that series from front to back, numerous times. I can't get enought of LOST.

Computers is my thing as well.

Bowling too.

QUOTE (L. Wince @ Apr 6 2011, 09:28 AM)
Im a LOST guru. Ask me anything. any quote. any character. any situation. I have watched that series from front to back, numerous times. I can't get enought of LOST.

Computers is my thing as well.
Bowling too.

When I first started reading this I thought you were saying that you were a guru at being lost. laugh.gif

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Apr 6 2011, 07:31 AM)
I'd sort of consider myself a Jack of all trades master of none type person.

What about the penis-pump? Don't sell yourself short.

z7shysterical.gif

I'm really good at converting phrases and/or song lyrics into something dirty.

I can use a mouse and operate things with my left hand (use chopsticks, use a hammer, screwdriver etc with my left hand), even though I am right-handed.

I can memorize long strings of computer commands for any OS, any kind of system, and for many years.

I know how to work all kinds of cameras.

I can remember dates like no one's business.

Archived