The Ruben appreciation thread

The Owl

Which Meat do you prefer on your Ruben  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which Meat do you prefer on your Ruben

• Pastrami
    • Corned Beef

The King of Sandwiches IMO, nothing better than the combination of Beef on Rye Bread, with Swiss Cheese, Sauerkraut, and Russian Dressing...

Show your love for this magnificent creation..

I added the poll because there are two different methods of cured Brisket to place as the meat.... Which do you like better? Corned Beef, or Pastrami..

Not a real big fan of corned beef, but give me a good stack of pastrami anyday...!

I know Pastrami and Corned beef are both form of cured Brisket, but I don't really know what is the difference in making either.....

I know I love Pastrami, but I really do not care for corned beef.

I'll eat it either way but Corned beef for me. Reuben's totaaly rock!

I love my pastrami on rye with swiss cheese some onion and a nice spicy mustard.

Corned beef, as God intended.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Apr 6 2011, 01:41 AM)
I know Pastrami and Corned beef are both form of cured Brisket, but I don't really know what is the difference in making either.....

I know I love Pastrami, but I really do not care for corned beef.

sometimes pastrami is made from cuts other than the brisket.

its an old recipe and one that works on all meats, seems like i read that it was originally used on camels. mmmmm . i made pastrami once with a turkey breast.

pastrami is a rub with salt, black pepper, garlic, coriander and mustard seeds if i recall correctly. can refer to my book if anyone needs specifics.

corned beef is cured in salt and sodium nitrate. unfortunately that shit is bad for you but that what turns the corned beef pink.

turkey reubens are killer and i have had fantastic tempeh reubens before too. one of my favorite sandwiches of all time.

I love Reubens! Probably my very favorite sandwich of all time.

Corned beef - but it has to be good quality corned beef (not overly fatty) and sliced very thinly. Nothing's more annoying than trying to take a bite of a sandwich and having half the meat slide out because your teeth can't quite cut through that bite.