Rush on Cassette

L. Wince

I just scored the complete Rush cassette collection. (well, excluding Archives) on Ebay. $33 bucks including shipping. Just got it in the mail.

Every Rush album available on cassette from "Rush" to "Test For Echo" including all 3 live albums during that period and "Chronicles".

Just curious to see if anyone else has went out there to collect Rush on "dead" formats. Or if anyone thinks its a dumb or bad idea. My next collection might be 8-tracks just for the sake of having them. That's pretty much the reason I bought the Tapes. and because I got a sweet old school stereo system which included a tape deck.

So as of now, I got Rush on CD (all albums), Rush on vinyl, (all albums except for Presto, RTB, CP, and S&A.) and Rush on cassette.

When I first got into Rush I got them all on cassette first. Since i've upgraded to CD though I honestly don't even have any idea where most of the cassettes are. They're probably sitting in a box in the attic somewhere.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 5 2011, 09:46 AM)
When I first got into Rush I got them all on cassette first. Since i've upgraded to CD though I honestly don't even have any idea where most of the cassettes are. They're probably sitting in a box in the attic somewhere.

Oooooooh, they are probably all melty now. Playing them will give you that I've just taken mushrooms and listened to Rush feeling. wacko.gif

I don't personally own any, but I bought a bunch of cassettes for my musically-challenged friend for Christmas. I was trying to get him more funk, for his Cadillac, but most of the funk I found was on 8-track, which would probably just confuse him. I did manage to find a copy of 2112, and have heard he quite enjoyed it. Though the funny clothes confused him.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Apr 5 2011, 12:51 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 5 2011, 09:46 AM)

Oooooooh, they are probably all melty now. Playing them will give you that I've just taken mushrooms and listened to Rush feeling. wacko.gif

You say that like it's a bad feeling?? unsure.gif confused13.gif

I don't really collect cassettes other than Rush cassette singles.

I've got some 8 tracks and I think I have all of the laser discs except Exit..Stage Left.

I've still got all of the videos too for some reason.

Me? No. Haven't really touched a casette since I got a CD player in '99 or so.

But as usual, I scavenged through my dad's massive music collection and found RTB, CoS, P/G, Signals, PoW, and also the case for "A Show of Hands".. but sadly it was empty. :C I asked him and he said he had no idea what happened to it. Too bad.

I'd love to have more Rush on cassette; I only have Caress of Steel and Grace Under Pressure.

But with the amount of times they've been played, the sound sucks.

So I basically have pieces of plastic with the Rush logo on them haha.

My boyfriend bought Presto and Signals in a used CD/cassette/vinyl store, but the little fuzzy thing has come off Signals and needs to be reglued before we can play it. Since he's the one with the tape deck (in his truck), he also has my copy of Roll the Bones my high school friend made for me (naughty, naughty), and my precious Rush mixtapes from the same friend.

I definitely did the Rush mix tapes! It beats Chronicles and the prefabricated releases of "hits".

When I first got "A Farewell to Kings" (which was Thanksgiving Eve, 1984) I bought it on cassette. I played it over and over. Eventually, I got the gatefold vinyl and then eventually the CD.

QUOTE (robertrobyn @ Apr 5 2011, 09:53 PM)
I have a cassette and 8 track setup in my office and turntable in my main room. My daughter laughs at me when I whip out a cassette.

If it makes you feel any better, I laughed at my dad when he stuck his CoS cassette into his car -- which is an '06 and has auxillary outlet and an 8-disc CD player. I was like, "Dad, just get the stupid CD!"

...But then he rolls his eyes at me when I put in an LP. But we have a record player! It gets no use! Except from me! I know a few years back, no more than five, he got the silly thing because he has an entire cabinet of LPs downstairs. I've used it more in the past six months than he has since he got it.

Musically, cassette tapes beat out CDs. And the 90 minute tapes hold more music than a CD which holds only just over an hour.

I used to be a big mix tape creator/player. even in 2001 and 2002 when I didnt have the ability to make mix cd's due to my situation, I would borrow cd's from friends, and even use my own cd's too and make mix tape after mixtape to play on my little portable cassette player. Lol

And i remember when I was a little younger than that even, I stole my moms Offspring - Americana and Metallica - Garage Inc. tapes and walked all over town listening to those two albums for months.

having these Rush cassettes and playing them is bringing back some of those old memories of owning and using tapes. its cool.

QUOTE (L. Wince @ Apr 5 2011, 09:20 AM)
I just scored the complete Rush cassette collection. (well, excluding Archives) on Ebay. $33 bucks including shipping. Just got it in the mail.

Every Rush album available on cassette from "Rush" to "Test For Echo" including all 3 live albums during that period and "Chronicles".

Just curious to see if anyone else has went out there to collect Rush on "dead" formats. Or if anyone thinks its a dumb or bad idea. My next collection might be 8-tracks just for the sake of having them. That's pretty much the reason I bought the Tapes. and because I got a sweet old school stereo system which included a tape deck.

So as of now, I got Rush on CD (all albums), Rush on vinyl, (all albums except for Presto, RTB, CP, and S&A.) and Rush on cassette.

More power to ya, man! Looking back, i bet i spent 1,000 bucks over the years with vinyl, tapes & cd,s. (Sorry. I never had an 8 track deck) i much prefer cd's, but for 33 bux you did great!

QUOTE (Babycat @ Apr 8 2011, 10:08 AM)
Not wanting to come across as a total berk, but what's an 8 track..?

This.

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv137/LWince/21128track.jpg

An 8-track tape is a hard plastic cartridge about the size of an external modem that houses a continuous loop of non-digital (analog) audio data stored on magnetic tape. William Powell Lear, founder of Learjet, invented and patented the 8-track tape and its corresponding player in 1963, when he was looking for a simple, long-playing tape system to install in the business jets that bore his name.

8-track tapes, which can hold up to 45 minutes of sound, were introduced to the general public in 1966 when the Ford Motor Company included 8-track players as a cutting-edge automotive accessory for the Ford Mustang. The music recording industry quickly saw the potential for a lucrative home player market and by the early 1970's, 8-track tapes were replacing vinyl long-playing (LP) record albums as the dominant format in pre-recorded music. Their light-weight plastic casings made them ideal for travel -- and unlike vinyl records, 8-track tapes didn't warp or skip.

By the early 1980s, advances in tape technology and noise reduction made the even smaller compact cassette the system of choice and by 1983, record labels ceased production of pre-recorded 8-track tapes altogether. Today, the adjective "8-track" is synonymous with "quickly obsolete".

yeah i copied and pasted cause i didnt know how to explain it. lol

QUOTE (L. Wince @ Apr 8 2011, 04:03 PM)

An 8-track tape is a hard plastic cartridge about the size of an external modem that houses a continuous loop of non-digital (analog) audio data stored on magnetic tape. William Powell Lear, founder of Learjet, invented and patented the 8-track tape and its corresponding player in 1963, when he was looking for a simple, long-playing tape system to install in the business jets that bore his name.

8-track tapes, which can hold up to 45 minutes of sound, were introduced to the general public in 1966 when the Ford Motor Company included 8-track players as a cutting-edge automotive accessory for the Ford Mustang. The music recording industry quickly saw the potential for a lucrative home player market and by the early 1970's, 8-track tapes were replacing vinyl long-playing (LP) record albums as the dominant format in pre-recorded music. Their light-weight plastic casings made them ideal for travel -- and unlike vinyl records, 8-track tapes didn't warp or skip.

By the early 1980s, advances in tape technology and noise reduction made the even smaller compact cassette the system of choice and by 1983, record labels ceased production of pre-recorded 8-track tapes altogether. Today, the adjective "8-track" is synonymous with "quickly obsolete".

yeah i copied and pasted cause i didnt know how to explain it. lol

Thanks, L. Wince! I wondered what they looked like. Just out of curiosity, were they popular? Did they fall out of favor when the two-sided tapes turned up in the early 80s?

Archived